Bogut likely out, but Kerr won’t sit healthy Warriors vs. Spurs

VIDEO: Clash of the titans, tonight on ABC (8:30 ET)

Good thing Golden State coach Steve Kerrheh, heh … was only joking when he talked about … ho, ho … sitting out all his best players from the Warriors’ highly anticipated … ha, ha … game at San Antonio as the latest entry in the NBA’s series of ABC prime-time Saturday night telecasts (8:30 ET).

Otherwise David Stern might have roared back demanding a 10-day contract from NBA commissioner Adam Silver just to mete out Kerr’s and the Warriors’ punishment.

“If I had any guts at all, I’d sit everybody,” Warriors head coach Steve Kerr said after Friday’s win over the Mavericks. “It’s like our sixth game in nine nights. It’s on national TV. If I was [Gregg Popovich], I’d sit everybody, but I don’t have that kind of courage.

“I’m in my second year. I can’t flip the bird to the league, like Pop does every once in a while. That’s my guy, but I’m not in that class.”

As it is, the Warriors expect to play without starting center Andrew Bogut, who suffered a jammed toe in Golden State’s victory at Dallas Friday. The Warriors also have been playing without center Festus Ezeli (knee), swingman Andre Iguodala (ankle) and rookie Kevon Looney (hip).

The two Western Conference powerhouses will play each other three times in the next 23 days. And as Rusty Simmons of the San Francisco Chronicle notes:

The teams have clinched their respective divisions and appear to be on a collision course to meet in the Western Conference finals as they wrap up two of the NBA’s top three regular seasons ever.

Neither team has dropped consecutive games. Neither team has lost at home.

“This is the matchup that we’ve all been looking for,” Warriors forward Harrison Barnes said. “They’re one of the best defensive teams in the league and one of the teams that we could possibly see in the playoffs. We’re excited. We haven’t won there in a while, so that’s something that’s on our mind.”

“Home dominance is always a hallmark of a great team, but normally that means 35-6,” Kerr said. “The fact that both teams are undefeated is shocking.”

The Warriors haven’t won a regular-season game in San Antonio since Feb. 14, 1997 — a 32-game skid that ranks behind only the Kings’ 43-game road losing streak to the Lakers from 1975-92. The Warriors did win Game 2 of the 2013 Western Conference semifinals in the Alamo City after coughing up Game 1 there.

For a sense of how long ago it was that Golden State won in San Antonio, there’s this graphic, showing the teams’ starting lineups that night:

1. I hope the Spurs win, just to be different.

2. Alan says:

Before Duncan!

3. Tom says:

I am a huge Warriors game, however, I would be shocked if the Warriors even made this game competitvewith all of their injuries (Bogut, Festus and Iggi) and playing back to back road games. If Curry and Thompson start drilling 3’s like last night in Dallas then we may have a ball game.

4. julian ramirez says:

Im a warriors fan the spurs are a great team and even with our amazing season people still seem a whole lot to say about us but its all right we arent like u other loud mouth cats who arent about anything if the spurs win tonight thats okay just know come playoff time any team better be ready to run and gun

5. Louie says:

Steve Kerr taking one out of pops bag….. Both teams are down playing the intensity of this game but we all know all the marbles will be on the table tonite! bragging rights till the next meeting in a couple of weeks and not to mention the home winning streak on the line, I bet the Warriors will love to be the ones that break that streak! I see a SPURS bench showing up with break out game from Kevin Martin

Prediction: THE STREAK LIVES ON!!!

6. Richard Sayers says:

I hope it’s a close game until the last minutes with good clean play, and the Warriors surging at end to win by 6 points!

7. C stiinks says:

Warriors fan have their excuse ready after tonight’s loss. “We had no Center.”

• Gm says:

And no Iguodala and they played last night and they’re playing in San Antonio.. and they will still win!!!

8. David Johnson says:

Golden State is going down!

• Roland says:

Well maybe they are going down. With big man Bogout out and defender Igoudala sidelined and a back to back game, the Spurs have a very big advantage. The warriors will probably lose but not as much as 30 points.

• Warriors Rule says:

sure… And the sixers will win the championship

• STEVE says:

You are full of yourselfs, we shall see, WARRIORS HAVE WON PLENTY OF GAMES WITHOUT THE BIG MAN, YOU CAN’T AND WON’T BE ABLE TO STOP THE SMALL LINEUP, KEEP DREAMIN, WARRIORS BY 10 AT LEAST, DUNCAN IS A NON FACTOR