Nash out for 2014-15 season

VIDEO: Lakers’ Steve Nash to miss 2014-15 season with nerve issue

Steve Nash was ruled out of the 2014-15 season for the Lakers because of the nerve damage that has led to years of back and leg pains, likely ending his career, in news first reported by Kevin Ding of Bleacher Report.

UPDATE (8:18 p.m. ET):

As he said in late-September, when asked about his health and his mindset at the start of camp: “A lot better. A lot different, even. Different perspective. I feel healthier mentally for sure. I was in a really, really bad place last year during the winter. I was largely unaware of how bad I was until I got out of it. But now I realize this is my last year and there’s no guarantees I’ll get to play any games this year. The truth is, I have a lot of miles on my back and a day or two into training camp it could all be done. I’m just trying to enjoy every moment every day. Keep building, do what it takes to give myself a chance, and with a little bit of luck maybe I’ll get to play a ton this year and have a great close to my career.”

That quickly turned into more problems with the nerve damage in his back. Nash, if relatively healthy, was the projected starting point guard for the Lakers. That role now falls to Jeremy Lin. L.A. issued a statement about Nash.

1. kz says:

Listen to all these whiney lakers fans. You’re team is garbage, they dont play as a team and never have. bunch of ball hogs useless. Nash is king! Keep padding your wallet Steve! make it rain on these haters…

2. j says:

So glad that bum is gone. Him and his coach made sure we wouldn’t succeed under them for what lakers did to them in Phoenix. Waste of money. Stupid on the owners to think nash would take l.a to the chip. Waste. Nash won. Got paid. Phoenix Bum for life. Smh. Hofamer of course but never a Laker.

3. M Farley says:

The Nash, Howard, Bryant, Gasol experiment averaged10-15 turnovers a game. Thank God Kobe talked Howard out of staying (Howard’s a real idiot on the court – low b-ball iq). But this contract extension is only to fulfill the Time Warner cable contract to watch Kobe break a scoring record – it has nothing to do with Championships. Will Fate deal Jim Buss more Kobe injuries that makes this extension look more absurd than it is? Or will Kobe light it up for two years and hopefully sign elsewhere for the Veteran’s minimum? Either way we’re better off tanking this year to avoid giving Phoenix the pick…

4. Aichega says:

Good news he is out, hated him anyways. eh!

5. M1978 says:

In my opinion Lakers had their last chance two years ago, with Dwight Howard. Altough it was clearly visible shortly that Howard can’t fulfill the expectations. That year the Lakers had Kobe, Gasol, Nash, Howard, a contender lineup. Kobe performed as expected carried the team on his back, but Gasol and Nash were weaker and Howard totally failed (like now, in Houston). Then Bryant was injured and that was the end. Howard saw that next year he should carry the whole team and fleed to Houston to avoid to take responsibilty. Nash’s body failed last year so he was out. Gasol remained to a lost season.
    Now the Lakers should start to rebuild. Lin, Johnson, Young, Randle are good stuff to do that, but they should send Nash to retirement.
    The rebuilding will improve the Lakers performance. Sorry to say but this won’t be enough to win a championship either. Kobe has a too big salary to get another superstar. It’s a funny situation because of that: The Lakers can’t Kobe let go, because he is a financial success, boosts sponsorship, merchandise income etc. Kobe can’t quit the Lakers because they are paying so much he couldn’t earn with any other franchise. His hunger to win a championship also ceased because he already has won five. It all comes to a conclusion: the Lakers will keep Bryant so he brings money and he will stay, altough both parties now deep inside that they won’t win another championship with Kobe in the line up.

6. vincent says:

sad its all over…especially since he didnt win a championship. that one season against the fricking spurs and the stupid league cost him. Steve shouldn’t have resigned with the suns for those last two years knowing amare stoudemire might have gone somewhere else

7. Eaglos says:

Nash should have retired many years ago but chose the path of self-ridicule.

8. elvis says:

RETIRE, and learn to lose sometimes.
    u are hofamer so dont ruin it at end

9. David says:

Nash you’re a legend!!! you proved that your more than just a player man you’re a star, and all those seasons you played you proved that your one of the best, who cares if you didn’t win a championship your one of the greatest. That was always ready to win and always helped your team with everything you could help. If you retire now you’ll only gain, you won’t have as much chance of getting injured again, plus you’ll have more time with your family so think about it.

10. cyrusvance says:

11. cyrusvance says:

I blame the Lakers for this. Their medical and training staff has been terrible. Just look at them, they are the most injured team the last 2 season. They can’t handle Nash the way Phoenix handled him. For the record, Suns has the best training staff in the league. I wish they could have done a better job, Howard was even having shoulder issues in Lakers, Pau’s knee, and almost everyone is suffering from injuries, even the newbies like Clarkson and Lin, it’s not even the regular season yet. Anyway, good luck Nash, I hope you a speedy recovery.I blame the Lakers for this. Their medical and training staff has been terrible. Just look at them, they are the most injured team the last 2 season. They can’t handle Nash the way Phoenix handled him. For the record, Suns has the best training staff in the league. I wish they could have done a better job, Howard was even having shoulder issues in Lakers, Pau’s knee, and almost everyone is suffering from injuries, even the newbies like Clarkson and Lin, it’s not even the regular season yet. Anyway, good luck Nash, I hope you a speedy recovery.

12. cyrusvance says:

13. Alex Hehr says:

The Lakers organization is stuffed ever since Dr.Buss died. Paid Briad a ridiculous amount of money not knowing if he would ever play again and bring in Nash, who has seen better days. How much are the Lakers faithful supposed to endure ffs!!

14. Andrew says:

Farewell to one of the top 50 NBA players of all time. It’s time to retire and get on to another life.

15. Alan Hollway says:

To Ron Hawkster and all those others who want to blame Steve Nash and think he played out his career just for the money think again. nash is a proud individual and a two time MVP if he thought he could play out a couple of final seasons and contribute to the lakers then the benefit of the doubt should go to Nash. If anyone is at fault its the lakers management Nash was after all signed by the lakers and he was only trying to comply with the contact. The lakers have a mentality of intant success they should have been rebuilding since 2011 when Phil Jackson left. now what they need to do is free up salary space be patient and wait for Durant and Anthony Davis to come out of contract. kobe will be gone by then so they can retool with two young superstars.

16. takdut says:

all is david stern’s fault for vetoing the cp3 deal !!!

17. Robert says:

Get well Steve. That’s the most important thing. You’ve had an outstanding career and should be proud of everything you accomplished. I’ve watched you since I was a young lad and every game I was always rooting for you. All great things come to an end and I’m glad I got to see you play. #NashNation

18. dustydreamnz says:

Dear oh me, this will be good for the Lakers though. They were no hope with or without him and can play some young guys more now.

19. Emil Dub says:

I feel really bad for Steve Nash. He chose family and a chance to win in LA. I did not work out AT ALL. He should have had the chance to play for a championship. Damn you Robert Horry!!

20. KGO says:

Kobe will probably face a similar fate shortly into the season. At 36, his body cannot take the kind of athleticism he is trying to display night after night.

21. germanfranc says:

THNX for THE MEMORIES STEVE. MAVS FAN FOR LIFE.

22. Christopher says:

Hope that Steve Nash will be alright. i’m sorry for hearing what’s happening to him. On my opinion he should retire and not to try pursuing a Championship ring if his body can’t play anymore like he used to. I am and will always be a Lakers Fan from the Philippines

23. Dessert11Eagle says:

I was hoping this would happen sooner. I bet he waited until his pay check was garuanteed. I like Nash, but his Lakers contract was worse than Kobe’s. Nash is a bad memory for LA. Kobe earned his and he still took an 8 million pay cut per year, for everybody that dog’s Kobe. I would not be surprised to see Kobe sign for a Veterans minimum next year. Just to show up all the talking heads… then he’ll be accused of cheating the league by having a Superstar playing virtually FREE.

24. 21?!?!?!?!?!??!? says:

How bout dem bulls doe?

25. James says:

Oh noo I feel so bad for Steve, he doesn’t deserve this 😦

26. AmatureLIN says:

Lin is absolutely not qualified for a PG job in the NBA,look at how sloppy and awkward he handles the ball ,no lateral quickless and it looks like a small forward running the pg position .he should sit on the bench as a shooting guard!

27. I am so sorry for you Steve Nash tool bad you have to leave the game like that

28. yogasync says:

Thanks Steve for the great play for the last decade

29. You stupid says:

the lakers lost steve nash …. what a huge blow to their chances….. nothing has changed haha how many games has he played as a laker ???? you guys hatin as usual … kobe gonna average 20+, jeremy lin is gonna shine , and young gonna come off the bench with an average like last year with byron scott actually teaching defense with carlos boozer and julius randle along with hill and randle … its gonna be better than last year ill let yall know that

30. no name says:

He is 41 for gods sake. Should have retired 2 years ago. With kobe lakers are a joke. Nobody wants to play with him. Why nba gives so much attention to lakers.

31. Jonnybananasz says:

I’m a huge laker fan but seriously Steve nash should just retire so that way we have more money in our cap

32. Kenneth Williams says:

Its a shame what Dr. Buss kids did to his franchise

33. Driver says:

So he beat the Lakers one final time…

34. ronhawkster says:

I’m sorry but at the same time, those who have seen my comments for the past few years on this topic know how opposed I was to this idiotic move all along. At a time that the Lakers needed to be rebuilding and bring in the youth, they kept loading up on veterans and high-mileage players, and then topped it off by singing the oldest player on the planet. And the Lakers front office had the nerve to pat themselves on the back while claiming they had brought the “Showtime 80s” back. What a bunch of morons have inherited this once proud team.

As for Nash, sorry folks, I think he knew all along what the situation was, and he just wanted to go through the motions to fulfill the minimum he had to do by contract to get his money. All along, he wanted the money knowing he wouldn’t be playing much, if at all. Not that he would have been much help to this Lakers team… But it goes to show you how out of touch and inept that front office is.

35. Unkle Daddy says:

I thought maybe he would just come off the bench, and spend a year teaching Len a few things. Still believe that would be the best idea.

36. clargraham says:

Steve Nash will not retire because he still wants to be paid he been the worst paid person on the Lakers roster for the last past 3 years he has came to lakers and done absolutely nothing and he will not retire because it will avoid his contract he’s only thinking about himself and his wallet lakers should call 911 cause he has robbed the Lakers for the last past 3 years

37. Garen says:

Rip Steve. You will be sorely missed. Get better and wish you the best.

38. Steve Cash says:

Im a Laker fan and as I see it there are two people at fault here, first Jim Buss for giving up all of those draft picks and signing a point guard who was going to turn 41 in the last year of his contract. How in the world did he think Steve Nash would have kept up with guards like john Wall and Russell Westbrook in the first place at 40 plus yrs old??. The second persons at fault is Steve Nash and his “I want the money” comment. His career was over after his last year in Phoenix thats why they didn’t resign him. Steve Nash will have played much less than 82 games for the purple and gold, in three years and earned 28 million dollars. He knew he couldn’t play consistently on the NBA level anymore but he thought would run on the treadmill for the Grantland cameras and keeping telling people he could play, to get that 9 million left on his contract. The honorable thing he could do at this point is to agree to the forced medical retirement provision. Then final year of Nash’s contract would be completely removed from the Lakers’ salary cap. He was give that option last year but refuse it so he could collect this years 9.7 million dollars. Nash was never a Lakers he was a torn in the Lakers side one the count when with Phoenix and a torn in the Lakers but with the team. The Lakers don’t need Steve Nash to hang out and be a 9 million dollar mentor. They better not give him a retirement party unless it on him. They should waive him for his roster spot give him his money in pennies and he should just GO!

39. nathan says:

Steve its time to step away from the game. Your place in the hall of fame is sealed, iys been a pleasure watching you since I was a kid retire with pride. Dont risk anymore injury. Theres life after basketball to worry about.

40. reggohllabam'i llabehtemevig says:

more disaster for those Lakers in my opinion. all those LA fans that still think they will “surprise” this season should stop visiting delusional land and start coming back to reality

41. Alex says:

Retire and come work in the Toronto Raptors organization! You are the head of Canada Basketball anyways so you’ll be spending alot of time in Toronto. I’m sure the Raptors can find something for you to do.

42. Alvin says:

Really no chance? I always love his game. Wish him all the best in the future.

43. Ry says:

Farewell to a legend. Did anyone give this guy a shot when drafted? Hustle

44. AJ says:

Do you think he will retire?

45. steve nash should have rest and absolute lin will takes his place.

Nash already proven his worth when he was young way back his nba carrier.

Take good care Nash

46. Mavs fan for life says:

Very sad end to a great career. GOING TO MISS YA STEVE..

47. Max says:

Lin will need help, just not up to being the Point Guard for a team YET!

48. what type of? says:

yay? what type of comments is this?… Steve Nash is a legend , so sad that he’s out for this season.

49. harriethehawk says:

Hip hip horaay!!!!!

50. Pour out the hateraid says:

Who on earth could have ever saw this coming? :/

51. Justin says:

9.7 million spend on nothing

52. slimpulla says:

Yea, he got some nerve. Keep trying to steal Lakers money like that. You like 67 years old, give it a rest.

53. Lakersfan says:

Well I could have told ya Grandpa Nash needed to retire. Lakers just lost millions on that deal, yikes!

54. s0uth says:

finally. im sick of this guy. waste of money.

55. krespino says:

Three years have been wasted.
    Imagine Nash was not signed; Kobe accepted a smaller salary, and Kobe displayed a different attitude towards potential incoming free agents; as a result Dwight Howard stayed, maybe Kevin Love joined, or someone like Gordon Hayward:
    The Lakers would be at contender situation today.

56. BIG-GAME-JAMES-23 says:

not surprised at all. Lakers are not even sniffing the playoffs this year, what a joke this franchise turned out to be…

You expect Boozer to be better than Gasol? You expect Lin to be a 2nd option next to Kobe? Seriously, what are the Lakers doing?
    I just feel bad for Kobe at this point. in his last 2 years, Kobe deserves to be on a team that can actually contend for a championship, let alone just barry make the playoffs..

57. itoknashucanretirenow says:

nash its ok bro,damage nerves,back ache,cant jump blah blah , u a champ bro,as a fan i wont feel bad if u retire , retirement is calling ya name for bout 2yrs now,relax, do something else, start business,coach younger generations,,invest,goodluck bro

58. TheKush says:

Thanks for the memories Nash! Time to retire and enjoy the next phase of your life! I don’t think enough credit is given to John Stockton for how good he maintained his body in 20 years of play in the NBA John Stockton missed only 23 games. Plus Stockton set a number of records with NO MVP trophies. Nash somehow got 2 MVP’s without ever making it to the NBA finals? Makes one wonder! None the less great career Steve Nash if I were you I’d call it a career at this point. I think Nash could be a great coach!

59. Todd says:

No shame in that, awesome warrior effort to fight till the end. Thanks for all the years of basketball wizardry. May your next chapter in life bring you as much joy as you brought us the fans. God Bless, Steve.

60. PHILLYFAN4LIFE says:

dang. hate to see you go. should’ve went back to Dallas for one more go with Dirk instead of the Lakers. Man they had a good thing going back then. Steve Nash will be missed.

61. jeremy lin is a beast says:

yay

62. Kat says:

Dear God !! Retire !!

63. john smith says:

How about surgery?

64. Dallas Cade says:

Does anyone else think the Lakers need to make a GM change, someone needs to answer for this terrible move and the Dwight Howard situation. The Lakers pretty much traded away any hope of rebuilding to try for one more championship for Kobe when they should have looked to the future and did what was best for the lakers not Kobe. Along with the decision to pay Kobe a ridiculous amount of money after two serious injuries something needs to change. Rebuilding is a priority and I think a new face and a fresh perspective would help especially since its been a long time since the Lakers needed to rebuild.

• Zykique says:

Totally agree, the decisions are just ridiculous, look at duncan’s pay, and then at dirk’s pay, then kobe. This guy is just draining so much future potential from the team.

I really love nash and his style of bball, but i guess the time has come.

• hilljr says:

It’s so refreshing to hear the perspective of a real Laker fan…..not one of those Kobe slurpers posing as Laker fans

• The truth says:

Well Jeanie buss has stated the front office have 3 years to get it right starting from now so , gm change won’t happen any time soon , lakers have a lucrative tv deal , sponsorships , fanbase so from the business standpoint they are still making lucrative dollars compared to most of the franchises in the league. They need to start winning and being relevant in the playoff picture but the front office will be given another 3 years if they fail to bring them back to championship contention By then they will be fired.

• Alex says:

tThat whole organization died with Jerry Buss. They’re a mess right now

• The unfortunate truth says:

I totally agree with you. Unfortunately for us fans, the game isn’t about winning. It’s about money. Kobe got the monster deal not for his playing ability, but for his marketability. He probably makes the league and the Lakers more injured and not playing, than any other player, who plays at full capacity and is active.

• Dessert11Eagle says: