Lawson: ‘People are probably going to sleep on us’

By Jeff Caplan, NBA.com

VIDEO: Ty Lawson made his presence felt in Denver’s best plays last season

HANG TIME SOUTHWEST – NBA schedules haven’t been out long, but Ty Lawson has already been studying up on the Denver Nuggets’ first month.

“We’ve got the Chicago Bulls, the Cleveland Cavaliers twice, We got OKC twice,” Lawson said. “Our first month is crazy so I was like, ‘coach, we’ve both got to be ready coming in, we’ve got to all be focused when we get in there [to training camp].”

Lawson didn’t mention two games against the Portland Trail Blazers in the first month and the Phoenix Suns in the powerful Western Conference.

“I even feel like Sacramento is going to be decent,” Lawson said.

Oh yeah, add a pair against the Kings in the opening month, too.

Throw in a game against the healthy New Orleans Pelicans and that’s 12 of the Nuggets’ first 16 games.

“When it first came out,” Lawson said of the schedule, “I checked and was like, ‘man!’

The Nuggets’ explosive point guard has been working hard during the offseason in Los Angeles. He will soon make his way back to Denver and begin working out with teammates as the countdown to the start of training camp officially begins. This particularly excites the ever-improving Lawson, one of the more under-talked-about point guards in a conference overflowing with All-Star candidates at the position, because it’s been a long time since he’s played with a few of them.

Expected to be back in business is forward Danilo Gallinari, a career 41.9 percent 3-point shooter who missed all of last season after tearing his ACL in April 2013. So is 7-foot center JaVale McGee, whose bid to mature his way off the Shaqtin-a-Fool all-time list was snubbed after five games due to a stress fracture in his left leg. So is Nate Robinson (missed 38 games). And Wilson Chandler (missed 20 games). And J.J. Hickson (missed 13 games). So is Lawson himself, who missed 20 games due to injury in last year’s 36-46 season, the first under coach Brian Shaw.

At the tail end of last season, the 5-foot-11 Lawson, who registered career-highs in scoring (17.6 ppg), assists (8.8) and minutes (35.8), thought about all the injuries, all the adversity (including but not limited to Andre Miller) and just how far the team had come despite the sub-.500 record. He even suggested the Nuggets could possibly be a top-four team next season.

“People,” Lawson said, “are probably going to sleep on us this year because of what happened last year.”

Lawson, heading into his sixth season in Denver, spoke to NBA.com earlier this week from Los Angeles. He believes the Nuggets are deep at every position, are determined to become a good defensive team and he still believes they can sneak up on last season’s playoff teams.

NBA.com: You and Kenneth Faried both had strong seasons in Shaw’s first year despite all the injuries. Was it important for you two to set the tone in a transition year?

Lawson: I think so. We found ourselves, especially Kenneth. He found out he can score in the post, run the floor and also his decision-making after getting the rebound and taking it downcourt and able to make the right pass, the right decision. I think it was a positive on both ends and I think it’s going to help for this year coming up.

NBA.com: As a team leader, do you keep up with your teammates during the offseason?

Lawson: Definitely. JaVale’s in L.A., so I see him and we talk all the time. I stay in touch basically with everybody, making sure everybody is getting their work in and that they’re ready for this year because we can make a lot noise.

NBA.com: Speaking of McGee, he signed the big contract, but his season ended five games into it due to injury. Even then he had not earned a significant role under Shaw and he has yet to be able to rid himself of the perception of having a low basketball IQ. Do you really believe he can begin to elevate his game and be a significant contributor?

Lawson: I can see that he’s taking a more serious approach. When he was at Washington he was just about, ‘OK, I’m here, I’m 7-foot, I’m playing.’ But now he’s really actually trying to get better. You can see that. When he’s working out and he misses a jump hook or something he actually gets mad.

NBA.com: With so many injuries last season, the team never found a rhythm. How do you see the roster shaping up assuming good health all around?

Lawson: I think at every position we’re pretty deep. At center, we’ve got JaVale and Timofey Mozgov, who started playing well throughout the last year. We’re so deep, I think that’s a gift and a curse. Everybody is going to want to play. I already told B-Shaw, I was like, ‘yeah, it’s going to be a problem that you’re going to have, divvying up minutes and making sure everybody’s still happy.’ That’s a gift because say somebody goes down, God forbid, we’ll still have somebody step right in. Also, there’s so many different lineups we can have. We can go small, go big, we’re so versatile.

NBA.com: Everybody knew the team’s identity under George Karl. After one season under Shaw, again, considering all the injuries, has the team taken on a clear-cut identity?

Lawson: This year it’s going to be more of a defensive mindset. I already know we can score, everybody knows we can score with the best of them. But my mindset going into training camp is everybody buying into the defensive end. We’ve got to make stops. I feel like if we can do that, and score in the half court, we’ll be one of the top teams out there.

NBA.com: You already mentioned how tough the schedule is the opening month. Overall, how do you see the West shaping up?

Lawson: The West is going to be crazy. Everybody got better. Houston may have slipped a little bit, but I feel like you’ve got to be ready to go every night against the West. There’s not going to be any slouch teams. I even feel like Sacramento is going to be decent. You’ve got to be ready to play in the West, there’s not going to be any easy games like last year where you knew you were going to win that game. It’s not going to be that easy, any team can beat you in the West.

NBA.com: Some feared you might not be as effective in Shaw’s more halfcourt-focused offense as opposed to Karl’s full-throttle approach. You still managed to thrive. Where do you want to take your game next season?

Lawson: I’m more confident in my jump shot, I think I shoot well. Sometimes if I miss a couple, my confidence goes away. So I watch a lot of tape of shooters. I feel like Steph Curry and Damian Lillard just have no conscience. They miss a couple, they know the third or fourth one’s going in. That’s probably the main thing. And probably my stamina for the defensive end; picking up the point guard further up instead of letting them come down and set their offense up so close to the 3-point line. If I push them back, it pushes the offense back and I think it’s harder for them to score, so that’s the main thing I’ve been working on.

1. Toyz from MLA Phils. says:

They should get a Marquee player possibly for the 2 or 3 spot, and get rid of McGee (since all he’s good for is getting into Shaqtin’ a Fool). Having a sense of legitimacy could possibly do wonders for them.

2. holyspectator says:

correction people wont probably sleep on the nuggets they will sleep on the nuggets,

3. Scisca says:

They shouldn’t have fired George Karl.

4. pffff says:

@Rangers Actually Afflalo is a great lock up defender, and the Faried-Mcgee duo should protect the rim as good as anyone. Gallinari was never that horrible, and Lawson can press using a combination of speed and agility. As far as the comparison to San Antonio goes, with the exception of Leonard and Green all the other guys are too old to be considered elite defenders at this stage. The Spurs, in the last 3 or 4 years, have changed their gameplan to a significantly faster pace game, hence the comparison. If they stay healthy and serious they’ll be fun to watch but their lack of a superstar will keep them behind in the race for the packed West.

• Rangers says:

I’m sorry but none of this is true. McGee has below average defensive win shares, defensive impact rate, and gets in foul trouble too easily. This can be said for gallinari as well. Afflalo, however, has terrible defensive rating, +- on court, and very little amount of defensive winshares.

Duncan is one of the best (right after Noah, jordan, and perhaps hibbert) defensice big men in the league despite his age. Leonard is the best perimeter defender, while green is elite defensive 2 guard.

You might want to use actual facts when you debate.

5. RS says:

I think everybody can say that his team is goingn the one to watch. Nobody is going to say: hey, my team is lousy, come and beat me.

The whole article is uninteresting.

6. tinyarchibald says:

I agree, the Denver Nuggets are not that bad of a team, considering all the players they have. But they just aren’t all that good either, and Ty Lawson is correct, glancing at their early season schedule, they should be scared.

7. Aaron says:

These guys are pretty good, they have rotten luck with injuries though. Gallinari and McGee returning should improve them a lot

8. unless gallinari comes back, nuggets aint making the playoffs next year

9. I see top 5 finish. They are in the San Antonio mold, all team. They are defensive minded and compete every night. The addition of Aaron Afflalo will put them in a whole ‘nother realm. The return of Javale McGee should be good if he is focused, but Farried is in a contract year and should wreck havoc all over. Denver is a deep team, with length and shooting, someone will find themselves on the out because of them.

• Rangers says:

Explain to me why you think they are a good defensive team?

Lawson, afflalo, gallinari, McGee, chandler are all below average at defense relative to their position…

Spurs have duncan, Leonard, green who are elite at their position, with other good defenders in diaw and ginobli

• googergieger says:

Last time Gallinari was healthy according to Synergy he was the best at his position on the defensive end. Which is a site I trust more when it comes to defense, as it takes more into account than other variables that tend to have more to do with team defense than actual individual defense. Gallo is long, quick, and defends without fouling, despite not getting the superstar treatment that allows others to simply foul on defense and get called elite defenders.

10. dustydreamnz says:

When I think Denver, I think not good but not bad. They always seem to be a middle of the road team. Atleast with better luck with injuries, they have more chance, it was getting ridiculous last season.

• poopy train express says:

the season before last year this team was on the verge of being dominant as playoffs were approaching, they were spanking everyone and they were doing it using different styles as well showing off their versatility. they had that huge win streak and they were like 15-3 vs the top west teams (they were excellent vs the spurs, the west champions), and they set a franchise record for wins with 54 (I think it was 54), and they did that with multiple injuries; then as the playoffs rolled around faried and gallo also got injured and this team couldn’t recover losing to the gsw (who were electric in the playoffs that season btw) in the first round. thus ending the George karl years, even though he won COTY. This team had big time elite potential with George karl (they had a good chance to make the finals given their record against west playoff teams), and they probably still do.

• TEG says:

they might have been good vs Spurs but I remember that they only split 2-2 against them in 2012-13 season.

I will say I wouldn’t sleep on Nuggets this upcoming. if they doesn’t suffer the injury bug like last season, I think they could make the playoffs; I even think in my early predictions they would be the 8th seed, but they’ll have to fight against the Pelicans, Suns, and Mavs.