VIDEO: LeBron thanks the fans before the East and West All-Stars get going
HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS — No one, and I mean no one puts on a party like New Orleans and the NBA for ALl-Star Weekend.
And it all culminates with tonight’s 63rd All-Star Game here at the Smoothie King Center. From the kicking player intro concert from Pharrell Williams, Nelly, Diddy and Busta Rhymes to all the action that will follow from LeBron James, Kevin Durant and the fellas from the Eastern and Western Conference squads, we should be in store for a relentless night of action.
Dig in with us all night here for the best tweets, notes and observations from the festivities right here.
– And no, that wasn’t me on stage with Pharrell. But that is Snoop joining the party now. Keep coming back because you never know when your Tweet will show up here …
– Kobe Bryant showing up for the intros in a clean suit was a nice touch for the West. Player/coach?
– My main man and Hang Time Podcast partner Rick Fox of NBA TV is all over the style scene down here in New Orleans. Check him out while wait for this game to start … (Pharrell is almost as tall as Rick with that hat on)
VIDEO: Pharrell and Rick Fox talk fashion at All-Star Weekend
— Get your MVP predictions in now. I’m going with KD. It’s his year. He might not be on your Mount Rushmore … yet, but he’s trying to get there.
– Carmelo Anthony and Blake Griffin handling the opening tip is a nod to the small ball that has become the rage around the league.
– Generation Next wants a seat at the All-Star table and it’s showing on the rosters …
– You wonder why the stars from nearly every walk of life turn out and turn up for NBA All-Star Weekend … you’ve been watching it since the opening tip. These guys are the best and most jaw-dropping athletes on the planet, IMO. Nothing like seeing these guys work like this.
– East up 30-27, btw, with Blake on course for a wicked night along with LeBron, Durant and Melo!
– 44-42 West lead at the end of the first quarter of the 63rd NBA Dunk Fest
– Classy tribute to Bill Russell from Magic Johnson and the other Hall of Famers … Happy Birthday Sir! Magic leading the Happy Birthday serenade from the entire arena, All-Stars included. So classy!
VIDEO: Happy Birthday Bill Russell
– Dwight Howard scores a bucket and there is absolutely no reaction from the crowd. A couple of years ago his every move drew oohs and aahs from the crowd. Now he gets nothing. It’s just weird.
– The NBA making sure Bill Russell has the best seat in the house every year is pure class. No one treats their former greats better. No one!
– West 89, East 76 at halftime and now we get a sick halftime show led by Trombone Shorty that also includes a little Earth, Wind and Fire!
– Lil’ Chris giving the West a halftime pep talk?
– MVP Watch … Blake, Durant, LeBron, Kyrie, Melo? They are all having monster nights.
– You know why I love Joakim Noah? Because any other guy would concede a that layup to Durant. But not Noah.
– Sitting here having a wild chat with NBA.com’s John Schuhmann and Leigh Ellis of The Starters and we’re trying to figure out if the U.S. sent two teams to international competition could they win gold and silver? I say yes. Think of the preposterous depth they have on the Men’s Senior National Team. It could happen.