Analytics Art: Sizing Up Porzingis’ First 50

By Andrew Bergmann @dubly, for NBA.com

Latvian wunderkid Kristaps Porzingis just completed his 50th game in the NBA. Already he’s been compared to some of the league’s greats, due to his size and agility. Let’s take a look at how Porzingis’ stats match up to other rookie big men in their first fifty games.

kristaps-porzingis-50-games

Andrew Bergmann’s data driven design work can be found on CNN, NBA, Sports Illustrated, Deadspin, NPR, Washington Post, and USA Today. See more on www.dubly.com and twitter.com/dubly

1. GoMavs says:

Future star.

2. o.l.e.k. says:

Timmy…

3. rich says:

How about Karl Anthony Towns-much more impressive start than Kristaps Porzingis

• Ivan says:

I would like to believe that except Karl Anthony-Towns isn’t even better than Andrew Wiggins. You can make an argument for KP being the second best player on the team next to Melo. I honestly would like to see more Wolves games on TV so I can see more of his game but I guess that’s the leagues fault.

• Kevin says:

A rookie “isn’t even better” than the best second year player in the league? Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

A more fair comparison would be Towns’ and Wiggins’ first years, but I’m not sure what the point of either comparison would be. Towns, Wiggins, and Porzingis are probably all future stars in the league, and I’m excited to watch all three develop.

• Mike tee says:

Mann u crazy don’t b a hater

4. Viper139 says:

If that stat would involve playing time or usage, you could make an argument – but some great players which he is compared to, rarely played in their rookie season, due to strong teams.
    Don’t get me wrong – he is huge and has a good touch – he will be a really good player if he stays healthy. But that stat is a bit misleading.

5. alex says: