NBA.com staff reports
Late last night, news broke that Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin may have suffered a broken right hand during a “undisclosed team-related incident.” Since then, more details have emerged, with multiple news outlets saying Griffin hurt his hand in an altercation with a member of the Los Angeles Clippers’ equipment staff outside a restaurant in Toronto.
The altercation reportedly started in the restaurant, then continued outside and at some point, Griffin hurt his hand. According to Dan Woike of the Orange County Register, Griffin will miss 4-6 weeks because of the injury.
If Griffin is indeed out that long, that’s quite a blow to the Clippers. The team had managed an 11-3 mark since Dec. 26, which was when Griffin was sidelined with a left quad injury.
The NBA is investigating the incident and, per ESPN.com’s Ramona Shelburne, possible disciplinary action may follow:
As for details surrounding Griffin’s altercation with a member of the Clippers’ equipment staff, those are below per USA Today’s Sam Amick:
Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin fractured his right hand in a fight with the team’s equipment manager at a restaurant in Toronto and is expected to be out at least four to six weeks, two people with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports.
The people spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the situation.
According to the people, Griffin and equipment manager Matias Testi argued at the restaurant before the altercation ensued. Testi, who has been close friends with Griffin for years and routinely banters back and forth with the five-time All-Star, was sent back to Los Angeles along with Griffin following the incident. And Griffin, who has been out since Dec. 26 with a torn quadriceps and was nearing his return, now finds himself at the center of what is clearly a serious situation. The NBA and the Clippers are investigating the matter to gain more clarity about the sequence of events.
Here’s more from ESPN.com on the situation:
Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin injured his right hand after hitting a member of the team’s equipment staff during an argument, multiple sources told ESPN’s Michael Eaves.
According to the sources, Griffin and the equipment staffer got into an argument in a restaurant during the team’s trip to Toronto. Griffin hit the man, who then left the restaurant and went outside. Griffin followed him outside and hit him again.
Griffin suffered a suspected fracture in his hand in the incident, sources told ESPN’s Marc Steinand Ramona Shelburne early Tuesday morning.
The equipment staffer’s face was injured, sources told Eaves. Both Griffin and the equipment staffer were sent home after the incident.
Clippers coach Doc Rivers said at practice Tuesday morning that the team would issue a statement on the situation before its game against the Indiana Pacers on Tuesday night.
L.A. travels to Atlanta to face the Hawks on Wednesday before returning home to square off with the Los Angeles Lakers on Friday at Staples Center.
Griffin, who has been out with a quadriceps injury, originally hoped to return to the lineup during this road trip. The Clippers have gone 11-3 in his absence.
Clippers All-Star forward Blake Griffin injured his right hand throwing a punch during an altercation with a member of the team’s traveling party over the weekend and will be sidelined a few more weeks.
Clippers Coach Doc Rivers would not divulge whether there would be any discipline involved as a result of the incident but said he would more fully address the situation before his team plays the Indiana Pacers on Tuesday night at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.
The equipment staff member involved in the altercation has not been fired, a team spokesman said.
The injury imperils Griffin’s ability to play in the All-Star game Feb. 14 in Toronto if he is selected to be among the reserves for the Western Conference roster. The reserves will be announced Thursday.
It is the second physical altercation involving Griffin in the last 16 months. A West Hollywood man accused Griffin of snatching his cellphone and grabbing him after the man took a picture of Clippers players at the Tao nightclub in Las Vegas last October.
The misdemeanor battery case later was dropped after prosecutors decided there was insufficient evidence.