Morning shootaround — Sept. 25

NEWS OF THE MORNING

 

Nash confirms role with Warriors | Pelicans’ Holiday on minutes limit | Pacers, George ready for lineup shakeup | Still no deal between Cavs, Thompson

No. 1: Nash confirms role with Warriors — In what is a case of the rich getting richer, the defending-champion Golden State Warriors have beefed up their coaching staff by adding former two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash to the mix. While the team has not confirmed the move yet, Nash himself did in an interview with Sportsnet and detailed what his role with the team might be. Diamond Leung of the Bay Area News Group has more:

Steve Nash confirmed Wednesday he will be joining the Warriors as a part-time player development consultant.

The two-time NBA Most Valuable Player award winner nodded at the mention of his new role with the Warriors in an interview with Sportsnet and was asked what reigning MVP Stephen Curry can do better.

“His laundry?” Nash said, shrugging and smiling at a fundraiser in Toronto. “I don’t know.

“As I’ve told Steph, his skill level is so high that although we’ll be on the court together, I don’t know how much I can help him on the court. But through watching a little bit of film and talking, maybe I can help him with situations. But his skill level is incredible, and hopefully I’ll learn as much from him as he will from me.”

The Warriors have not officially announced the addition of the 41-year-old Nash to the staff. Team president Rick Welts, who worked with Nash with the Phoenix Suns for years, only confirmed to Golden Gate Sports on Monday that he supported the potential hiring.

“We haven’t exactly confirmed that he’s going to be there, but if he was going to be there, I certainly added my endorsement to the idea,” Welts told the website.

“There are two things I think you think of when you think of Steve Nash and his career: preparation and discipline. I think those are the things that (he has more of), more than any other player I’ve ever been around. He has better preparation, better discipline about preparing himself for the task at hand.

“That’s a wonderful trait to share with young players, so should we be lucky enough to finalize that, I’d be a really happy guy.”

***

No. 2: Pelicans’ Holiday on minutes limit to start season — Hard to believe, but New Orleans Pelicans point guard Jrue Holiday is just two seasons removed from his All-Star, breakout campaign with the Philadelphia 76ers. Since then, Holiday has shown flashes of being the same player, but injuries have led to him playing just 74 games over the last two seasons. He missed 42 games last season with a lower right leg injury, but is on the mend and ready to bounce back in 2015-16. However, according to Brett Dawson of the New Orleans Advocate, Holiday won’t play a full load of minutes until after the calendar turns to 2016 :

Holiday — who missed 42 games last season with a lower right leg injury — probably will be limited to 10 minutes per game when the Pelicans open preseason play on Oct. 3, coach Alvin Gentry said Thursday night, and likely will be on some minutes restriction until January.

“It’s a situation where we’re gonna proceed with caution there,” Gentry said after he spoke to the 3-Point Club of New Orleans Thursday at the Chateau Golf and Country Club. “We’ll see how training camp goes and how he is, but we’ll try to work our way from there.”

Holiday, who averaged 14.8 points and 6.9 assists per game last season, will be on the court when the Pelicans open training camp next week at The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, W.Va., but will be limited in his participation there.

“He’ll be able to practice right now,” Gentry said. “We’re just not gonna have him practice back-to-back. Two-a-days, we’re not gonna have him do that. And I’m not saying that he can’t do it, I just think that right now, that’s not anything that we’d like to risk.”

Holiday won’t play in back-to-back games to start the season, Gentry said. He’ll be monitored in practice and games by the Pelicans medical staff, which will make a determination as to when his initial minutes limit can be increased.

***

No. 3: Pacers, George ready for lineup shakeup — Indiana Pacers star Paul George is out to prove in 2015-16 that he is the superstar he was before a gruesome leg injury sapped him of all but six games last season. While he admittedly is ‘not thrilled’ about a full-time shift to power forward this season, George is embracing the Pacers’ fresh approach to their gameplan as much as he possibly can. And as Candace Buckner of the Indianapolis Star reports, Pacers coach Frank Vogel isn’t about to stick with the George-at-power-forward plan if it doesn’t net positive results:

On Thursday, Vogel shared his tentative 2015-16 starting lineup with George at power forward, alongside George Hill, Monta Ellis, C.J. Miles and Ian Mahinmi. Team President Larry Bird has repeatedly said George will see time at power forward as part of an overhaul that will make the Pacers a high-volume offensive team.

However, when asked about Vogel’s projected starting five, George said: “That’s kinda new to me. We talked about it some, (but) for him to say it in the papers, I guess he’s pretty confident on me starting as the power forward. So that was new to me.

“I don’t think I’m at that point in my career where I should be changing positions. I think guys do that later in their career. They put on weight, (begin) lacking physical attributes as far as being quick, so I don’t necessarily feel the need to play a different position, especially coming back into a new season and starting fresh again. So it’s a change, it’s definitely a change. We’ll see how it goes.”

Overall, George has his concerns about making a move — and it seems odd that he and the team don’t appear in harmony less than a week before the start of training camp — but any divergent views between himself and Pacers’ bosses may become a passing footnote once training camp unfolds and the regular season begins.

Also, as Vogel noted, the tentative lineup may change.

“They’re all variable in terms of how things play out during camp,” Vogel said. “Not just with certain positions but we intend to go in and be effective playing with a small lineup. Obviously, training camp tells you a lot about your team. We’ll see how it plays out.”

***

No. 4: No deal yet for Thompson, Cavs — Thursday night was proof that in NBA free agency, a deal isn’t done until it is DONE. ESPN.com reporter Chris Broussard tweeted that Tristan Thompson would soon sign a three-year, $53 million deal to remain in Cleveland. As it turns out, that was erroneous on ESPN’s part and the sides continue to negotiate a deal. Chris Haynes of the Northeast Ohio Media Group has more:

If you’re a Cavaliers fan, your Thursday night went from being a joyous occasion to disappointment — all in a matter of minutes.

ESPN’s Chris Broussard reported that Rich Paul, the agent for restricted free agent Tristan Thompson, was going to have his client sign a 3-year, $53 million deal.

Those terms would have been a pretty decent compromise considering Paul was demanding a five-year, $94 million max contract.

Everybody wins, right? Wrong.

Sources within the Cavaliers insisted no such deal was agreed upon and called the report “not true.” Paul didn’t respond to calls. Soon after, ESPN modified its report, stating Thompson was simply willing to take a three-year offer along those financial lines, not that it was a done deal.

So now we’re all back to where we were before: waiting for Thompson and the Cavaliers to reach an agreement.

***

SOME RANDOM HEADLINES: Los Angeles Lakers center (and former Indiana Pacers standout) Roy Hibbert is selling his $2.65 million home in Carmel, Ind. … Shot-blocking big man Greg Stiemsma will be among the camp invitees for the Orlando Magic … Speaking of the Magic, their GM, Rob Hennigan, expects them to compete for the playoffs in 2015-16 … Veteran defensive stopper Luc Mbah a Moute has signed a training-camp deal with the L.A. Clippers … A look at the Atlanta Hawks’ new court design … A look at the DeAndre JordanChris Paul dynamic

 

6 Comments

  1. Albert Mendoza Hernandez Miguel Ortega Manuel Valdez says:

    after a part time role with the lakers it’s nice to see him get a part time role somethere else.

  2. Nick says:

    “Those terms would have been a pretty decent compromise considering Paul was demanding a five-year, $94 million max contract.”. Compromise? It’s only $1.2 million/year less than the max.

  3. harriethehawk says:

    I’m excited about Paul George too, but quite frankly, it appears he is one man show, which is not even exciting at all. Even though they are in the leastern conference, I see still teams like Deteoit, and even Boston,doing better than than them. Just saying.

  4. michael says:

    I can’t wait to see my man PG back on the floor full time. My heart was broken after that gruesome injury he suffered last year. This guy was a legitimate threat to Lebron’s throne as the best all around player in the league before going down. He possessed a rare combination of smooth and at the same time explosive combination of offensive skills while also being one of the best defenders as well. Kind of a combination of durant and kawhi blended into one player. Hopefully he is able to get back into his all star form soon, because quite frankly, I’m getting a little tired of lebron james and his soap opera ways. Welcome back PG!!!

  5. Mike says:

    Shocker, Chris Broussard reported another error.

  6. Red says:

    Still not a single coverage on fiba asia…