Mavericks’ Cuban gives his version of Jordan free-agent story

VIDEO: Isiah Thomas and David Aldridge chime in on the DeAndre Jordan move

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban offered up his side of the DeAndre Jordan free-agent fiasco Friday morning, going public vis his Cyber Dust social media format.

After Jordan backed away from his verbal assurance he would sign as a free agent with the Mavericks on a four-year, $80 million contract, instead returning to the Los Angeles Clippers for four years and a reported $87 million, Cuban took issue with some of the media reports.

Here is his account of the lost deal with the 6-foot-11 center:

Dear Mavs fans,

After all the nonsense coming from an ESPN employee on Twitter, I thought I would provide the events of the day on Tuesday.

Through all of Monday we were texting back and forth discussing players available, the amount of cap room we had left. Who our staff liked. Who he liked. How excited he was.

Then on Tuesday the communications basically stopped and we started hearing rumblings from multiple people that something was up.

So I flew down to Houston and got a room at the galleria, which is just a few minutes from his house. I had my driver take me to his house. It’s inside a small gated community but the gate was wide open so we drove in and I literally walked up to his door.

There was no one home. So I texted him saying that I was there. I know something is up. Let’s talk. He texted me that he was on a date.

I told him to have fun. I wasn’t in a rush, that I was happy to come by there and say hi or if he wanted to make the date fun, take them to Dallas for a night out.

He didn’t respond.

After about 10 minutes I went back to the hotel. I wasn’t going to sit in front of his house. I didn’t think that was right.

When I got back to the hotel I texted him that I wasn’t in front of his house. Have fun on his date and we will talk.

He hit me back immediately saying thanks.

He knew I was in town. He knew I was close by. I knew something was up. I was getting the same reports everyone else was.

I also knew this agents were coming to town. It made sense that he would talk to them and worst case, even if he was having second thoughts the agent would be able to give me updates.

Like any big career move it’s natural to have second thoughts. So while I was concerned, I still wasn’t worried. So I went to bed.

More to come.

And for those who care. I like this medium because it’s like having a face to face conversation. I can say what I want. No trolls. I can reach any size audience. And respond to people easily.

I will also reblast this to +blogmaverick

+letsgomavs and Dust On

1. Mr. Basketball says:

All those folks who are saying that DJ was wrong to do what he did. tell me are the owners wrong to trade players without notifying them? A lot of players learn that they are traded from the news – espn. without any warning. they are players who learn that they are traded when they are in the locker room before a game, on the road.

I am sure that Cuban has traded a player or two that way. Does this mean that you won’t trust Cuban enough to invest in a business that he is starting?

2. La4Life says:

I do think DJ should have handled it with more professionalism but I have to say that I was kinda happy MC got screwed…he has done any and everything he could to screw with my Lakers and the poetic justice in it all is that it was the Clappers who pulled it off…

3. Joshua F. says:

Several people have had the “He didn’t do anything wrong” reaction. I don’t think I can say one way or another. I just know that I don’t agree with the manner in which he conducted his business.

To those in the “He didn’t do anything wrong” camp, here’s my question to you. If DeAndre Jordan came to you and wanted you to invest in a business that he was starting, would you trust him enough to invest your money?

4. hoop247 says:

he is 27 and 27 is a grown up man! where was his professionalism in all this. he could have just let MC know the same day which is monday or atleast by tuesday that hes having a change of heart or not sure that he still wants to be a Mav, thats all. Knowing how cool MC is,he would have just told him, its ok and he would have moved on to somebody else. cause there were many other centers available by then. he would have enough time to go with his plan B. but no jordan doesnt want to act mature and professional. he wanted to be so coward and mess up someone’s season. A 8 yr would have handled it better than this. Hes got all the right in the world to change his mind but he doesnt have no freaking right to mess up our up coming season like that. Man up man!!!!! Grow Up!!!! not in size but being wise!!!!

5. T.T says:

If Dirk is anything like Kobe he would use this as motivation for this season. He is one of the last people from the 90s draft era that still has some gas left in the tank.

6. Rasheed says:

Unethical and unprofessional attitude by DeAndre Jordan. Despite this, I still don’t have any sympathy for this owner.

7. harriethehawk says:

Wow. He was officially rejected.

8. Crotalus says:

To some extent I wonder if Jordan initially signed with Dallas to maybe cause a stir in the LA camp, but that might be giving too much credit to his negotiating acumen. Perhaps the notion of leaving what he knew, albeit escaping from the ever-present vituperator that is Chris Paul, was inciting too much trepidation for the young man to bear. I concur with others that a man should honor his word, but recognize he did not legally sign on the dotted line. He may have deleteriously altered his public perception but I doubt he cares about such trivial opinions. On the one hand I am relieved, as it means I won’t have to choose between Dallas or San Antonio as to who should represent Texas come June ’16. However, it would be mendacious of me to deny that I secretly hope Chris Paul never reaches the west finals in his career.