Davis agrees to $145 million extension with Pelicans

VIDEO: David Aldridge breaks down Anthony Davis’ extension with the Pelicans

The Pelicans and franchise cornerstone Anthony Davis agreed to a five-year maximum extension Tuesday night that could pay him an estimated $145 million and keep him under contract for six more seasons.

The two-time All-Star power forward will play 2015-16 under the contract he signed after being the No. 1 pick in the 2012 draft. The extension will kick in beginning in 2016-17, with the exact amount of the deal to be determined after the salary cap is set in the summer of 2016.

Davis announced the agreement on Twitter minutes after the league officially began its 2015-16 business operations at 12:01 a.m. EST Wednesday:

Davis averaged 24.4 points and 10.2 rebounds last season to lead the Pelicans into the playoffs. They were swept in the first round by the Warriors, the eventual champions, but with Davis averaging 31.5 points and 11 rebounds while shooting 54 percent. It held up as one of the best series for any player the entire postseason.

1. Jeremiah says:

this guy is developing his 3pts and midrange, nba beware!
    Go for it AD, Show them/us what you got!! you deserve it!!

#becarefulthough

2. harriethehawk says:

Go for it Anthony!!!!

3. Kai Webster says:

Imo; he was too eager to sign this contract. Loyalty to the game is all that matters in Bball. Saying loyalty to a franchise is smart is like saying LA is smart for resigning Kobe and dooming themselves. Being loyal to the game is the way to win championships, and consequently making more money. Loyalty to the game/career shows a player’s/person’s ability to have foresight and goals, a very much underappreciated aspect in human lives, which is why we have very few Michael Jordan/Lebron James/Wilt Chamberlain/Bill Russell/Phil Jackson/Greg Popp/Steve Kerr types of guys – only 2 of which were “loyal to a franchise.”

• Kai Webster says:

Case n point: Does Steve Kerr’s face appear to say, “I love Golden State Warriors,” or, “I love Chicago Bulls?” I would argue not. I would argue that his face implies, “I love basketball and the championship trophy that proves we were the best BASKETBALL team and I was the best coach in BASKETBALL, this year.”
      Just look at how he holds that trophy, man!
      He would look JUST as happy if he had won it with ANY other team lol; At least I think so. But that’s a question for you NBA mic jockeys to ask him seeing as I surely will never have the opportunity.
      Personally, I love this photo and Steve Kerr’s loyalty to #TheGame!

4. rex says:

went from making nba chumo change, to 28mil a year. And hes only 22. Crazy. Hes very gifted

5. Mark from Bay area says:

Anthony Davis is a humble franchise player.
    I don’t like today’s NBA atmosphere where people say leaving their original team to chase the Ring is just a business.
    I rather like to see Franchise Player develop his own team to win the championship.
    I like Duncan, Durant, Davis, and Curry.
    They are highly gifted and highly loyal to the franchise!!

6. hjr says:

The Pelicans should also pursue DeAndre Jordan. DJ and AD should be a good frontline combination.

• BCBeneli says:

That defense!! Davis would play his “original” pf position. Not gonna happen tho.