Blogtable: Your All-Rookie first team …

Each week, we’ll ask our stable of scribes across the globe to weigh in on the most important NBA topics of the day — and then give you a chance to step on the scale, too, in the comments below.

BLOGTABLE: Kerr’s smartest move? | Future for Rondo and Ellis? | Your All-Rookie team

VIDEOWho has the inside track for Rookie of the Year?

> After a slow start (plagued by injuries) this year’s rookie class has shown some real promise late in the season. Name your 2014-15 All-Rookie first team.

Steve Aschburner, NBA.com:
C Nerlens Noel
F Nikola Mirotic
F Andrew Wiggins
G Elfrid Payton
G Jordan Clarkson

However, Wiggins, Mirotic, Payton, Noel, Clarkson is pretty much the order of how I’d vote for Rookie of the Year at this point. Wiggins hasn’t been playing for high stakes in Minnesota but he has done well all season and come out of his shell while being forced-fed minutes for a shaky Timberwolves squad. If the soft-spoken Mirotic were as cocky as he is quietly confident, he’d be unbearable, but he has let his game do some serious talking for the past month. Payton is fun to watch, an increasing dynamic player and so vital to Orlando’s rise. I put Noel after Payton mostly because the former had the “redshirt” year to acclimate to the league in all the off-court ways. As for Clarkson, he has seized an opportunity with a team that rarely has them available for young guys like him.

Fran Blinebury, NBA.com:
C Nerlens Noel: Worth the wait for Philly.
F Andrew Wiggins: Living up to the hype.
F Nikola Mirotic: Becoming a closer for the Bulls.
G Elfrid Payton: Big hair, bigger game.
G Zach LaVine: Much more than a dunker.

Scott Howard-Cooper, NBA.com:
C Nerlens Noel

F Andrew Wiggins
F Nikola Mirotic
G Elfrid Payton
G Jordan Clarkson

Clarkson over Jusuf Nurkic is a tough call for the final spot and could change if you ask again when the season is over. (It could change either way — maybe Nurkic moves back ahead if he recovers from the slump or maybe Clarkson makes it an easy call if he keeps playing this way.) It just happens to work out that the group is almost an actual lineup when the rules say pick the five best regardless of position. The only semi-conflict is Payton and Clarkson both primarily point guards.

Shaun Powell, NBA.com:
C Nerlens Noel
F Andrew Wiggins
F Nikola Mirotic
G Elfrid Payton
G Jordan Clarkson.

I realize Clarkson is mostly a spring sensation but he’s been too impressive to ignore, so I put him ahead of Jusuf Nurkic. Wiggins will win ROY but if the season lasted another month he’d get some serious competition from Noel.

John Schuhmann, NBA.com:
C Nerlens Noel
F Nikola Mirotic
F Andrew Wiggins
G Elfrid Payton
G Bojan Bogdanovic

My top five rookies, in order, though is Mirotic, Noel, Wiggins, Payton and Bogdanovic. The top four guys, in whatever order you want to put them, are pretty simple choices. I picked Bogdanovic (who ranks as one of the league’s most improved shooters since the All-Star break) over Jordan Clarkson because he’s played more minutes for a better team. Mirotic would be my Rookie of the Year, because he’s been an efficient and important player on one of the 10 best teams in the league.

Sekou Smith, NBA.com:
C Nerlens Noel
F Andrew Wiggins
F Nikola Mirotic
G Elfrid Payton
G Zach Lavine

The first five of this year’s rookie class certainly took its time taking shape. But better late than never, and yes, I’m talking to you Nerlens Noel. The Philly big man joins Andrew Wiggins and Zach LaVine from Minnesota, the neck-bearded wonder Nikola Mirotic from Chicago and Mr. Hairdo himself, Orlando’s Elfrid Payton in my rookie fab five. Milwaukee’s Jabari Parker was an early fave but saw his season cut down by injury, a blow that doused water on the fire of this class from the start, along with the known injury to Philly’s other rookie big man Joel Embiid.

Ian Thomsen, NBA.com:
C Nerlens Noel

F Nikola Mirotic
F Andrew Wiggins
G Jordan Clarkson
G Elfrid Payton

Lang Whitaker, NBA.com’s All Ball blog:
C Nerlens Noel
F Andrew Wiggins
F Nikola Mirotic
G Marcus Smart
G Elfrid Payton

To me, Wiggins is the Kia Rookie of the Year, for the way he’s played all season long and the improvement he’s shown and continues to show. Noel is right there as well, but he hasn’t had as much of an offensive impact as Wiggins. Mirotic and his beard have been terrific, pump-faking their way onto my team. So I guess that’s my front court, and in the backcourt I’ll pair Payton and Smart, who would actually be a pretty dynamic duo.

For more debates, go to #AmexNBA or www.nba.com/homecourtadvantage.

1. Maddie says:

I will say one thing Marcus Smarts numbers are a bit under whelming but his defense and being one of two rookies playing in games that matter still has to count over some of these guys. (Clarkson and Lavine)

G-Payton
    G-Smart
    F-Wiggins
    F- Mirotic
    F-Noel

2. harriethehawk says:

You are correct! I see him as a rookie still because coach Bud has really exposed him this year; didn’t get much minutes last year, my bad, sorry guys.

3. Fefe (Nets) says:

harriethehawk: i always see you post but you should know yourself that Schröder is not a rookie! He’s a sophomore!!!

4. AJ Nair says:

C – Nerlens Noel (PHI) – 10 PPG 8.2 RPG 1.9 BLK PER – 15.07

F – Nikola Mirotic (CHI) – 9.9 PPG 5 RPG 0.7 BLK PER – 17.71

F – Andrew Wiggins (MIN) – 16.3 PPG 4.4 RPG 1.9APG PER – 13.48

G – Jordan Clarkson (LAL) – 10.9 PPG 3.1RPG 3.1APG PER – 16.49

G – Elfrid Payton (ORL) – 8.9 PPG 4.3 RPG 6.3 APG PER – 13.64

G/F – Bojan Bogdanovic (BKL)- 8.2 PPG 2.7RPG 0.8APG PER – 10.73

G – Marcus Smart (BOS) – 7.7 PPG 3.2 RPG 3.4 APG PER – 10.84

G – Zach LaVine (MIN) – 9 PPG 3.2 RPG 2.5 APG PER – 10.08

C – Jusuf Nurkic (DEN) – 6.9 PPG 6.1 RPG 1.2 BLK PER – 15.18

C – Tarik Black (LAL) – 5.4 PPG 5.4 RPG 0.4 BLK PER – 13.71

These are the top rookie players thus far. I know for some rookies the stats might look lower. But players like Jordan, Zach, Nicola and Tarik Black have been putting impressive numbers since they were awarded decent minutes.

My Starting five would be –

C – Nerlens Noel (PHI)
    F – Nikola Mirotic (CHI)
    F – Andrew Wiggins (MIN)
    G – Jordan Clarkson (LAL)
    G – Elfrid Payton (ORL)

I think JC, Nerlens and NIc has been the most efficient payer thus far.

5. Bakey Farrar says:

Definitely Jordan Clarkson. He has been sensational with only playing for a short time this season.

6. aaronwu1020 says:

Mirotic‘s more like a sophisticated player in his crazy March.

7. Thor Christensen says:

I’m sorry, but this is all wrong. NERLENS NOEL IS NOT A ROOKIE. HE WAS DRAFTED IN THE 2013 NBA DRAFT. Sure, he didn’t play at all last year, but that still makes him a 2nd-year player and out of the running for rookie of the year.

8. Thor Christensen says:

I’m sorry, but this is all wrong. NERLENS NOEL IS NOT A ROOKIE. HE WAS DRAFTED IN THE 2013 DRAFT. Sure, he didn’t play at all last year, but that still makes him a 2nd-year player and out of the running for rookie of the year.

9. TwoFangTu says:

I’ll choose Andrew Wiggins.

10. NBAARON says:

Got to say, Zach LaVine is a great rookie. I don’t care what people say about his turnovers. He is not a natural PG and nobody complains about Russell Westbrook’s turnovers. Clarkson has been great but I think LaVine has been better of late.I think that Noel, Wiggins, Mirotic, and Payton are the for sure on this list.

11. harriethehawk says:

No Dennis Shroeder???????? No fair.

12. dustydreamnz says:

Would be amazed if Wiggins didn’t win ROY, he’s been the most consistent.

13. PacerFan says:

Larry, first its gobert and he is not a rookie.

C – Noel
    F – Mirotic
    F – wiggins
    G – Payton
    G – Lavine

14. Anonymous says:

Rudy Gobert isn’t a rookie which is why he isn’t on the list Indian’sownLarryBird

15. Indiana'sownLarryBird says:

No Rudy Gobart, he’s been good. Wiggin’s i like for ROY, Mirotic has came up big for a playoff team when there best players Butler, Rose, Noah were out with injury.

16. C – Noel