Blogtable: Rondo’s future in Boston

Each week, we’ll ask our stable of scribes across the globe to weigh in on the most important NBA topics of the day — and then give you a chance to step on the scale, too, in the comments below.

BLOGTABLE: Rondo’s future | Rising in the West | Camp showdown

Rajon Rondo has appeared in only 68 games for the Celtics in the past two years. (Brian Babineau/NBAE)

> You’re Danny Ainge: Why are you hanging onto Rajon Rondo? What would it take for you to part with him?

Steve Aschburner, NBA.com: Ainge hasn’t traded Rondo yet because he hasn’t gotten a good enough offer. Rondo is completely out of synch with the Celtics’ current blueprint, in salary, in demeanor, in his career arc. He totes baggage, too, as far as coachability and his freedom to sign elsewhere next summer. This is a job for Ainge’s old buddy Kevin McHale (and McHale’s boss, Daryl Morey). Picks and/or prospects would get ‘er done, if I were Ainge, no marquee names necessary.

Fran Blinebury, NBA.com: He’s an All-Star level point guard. He’s 28 years old, certainly not at the end of his rope. As you’re trying to build a new generation Celtics team, it doesn’t hurt at all to have a point guard with his talent and experience to show the way. He wants to stay. What would it take? Another All-Star in his prime or a young talent capable of getting there.

Jeff Caplan, NBA.com: For me, I always hate to part with an All-Star player. I would much rather try to build around that player. It rarely happens where a team trades its best player and gets better. It’s just not a concept I understand. To part with him, I would have to get back a player with clear star potential, such as Minnesota managed to do in obtaining Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love.

Scott Howard-Cooper, NBA.com: I am not hanging onto Rajon Rondo. Definitely not giving him away either, because Rondo has value, but I am absolutely entertaining offers and initiating calls. Marcus Smart is in place as the projected successor (though needing to answer some doubts about his ability to distribute and shoot). Rondo is 28 years old and has championship experience, making him a fit on a team looking to win big now or build into something in a season or two. The obvious hurdles to getting what I want in return are the concerns from other teams over health and the request for a massive payday that will be coming soon. If I’m the Celtics boss, though, and I can get a young-ish starting center as part of the trade package, let’s talk.

John Schuhmann, NBA.com: Trading Rondo is a lot easier said than done. First, almost every good team already has a good point guard. Second, since Rondo is in the last year of his contract and the 2011 CBA has basically taken away non-rookie-deal extensions, any team that trades for him would risk losing him (and whatever assets they gave up for him) next summer. Third, Rondo made no impact on the Celtics upon returning from knee surgery last season. So other teams should want to see how he looks this fall. Even if he looks great, it would be hard for Ainge to get much in return (while also maintaining his team’s future cap space) for a guy on an expiring deal.

Sekou Smith, NBA.com: I’m hanging on to Rondo because I don’t yet know what I have in Marcus Smart, who might be my point guard of the future … I said might. There is no rush for me to do anything where Rondo is concerned. There is plenty of time to work the market and see what an elite point guard in his prime can fetch. Also, I want to make sure and do right by a guy who, no matter what kind of mess we had to deal with when he was coming of age in this league, brought a warrior’s mentality to the building every night. He played through all the aches and pains you could ever ask a guy to play through, so we’re not going to cast him aside for whatever we can get now when we can survey the landscape until the trade deadline and make a shrewd decision for both sides and make sure he lands some place where he can chase his championship dreams in return for a significant piece (or various other assets) that benefits our ongoing rebuilding effort here in Boston.

Lang Whitaker, NBA.com’s All Ball blog: If you’re willing to dangle an All-Star level talent on a rookie contract in exchange for Rajon Rondo, I’ll give you my cell phone number. If you’re willing to slide a couple of first round picks my way, I’ll actually answer your calls! Or maybe I don’t answer anybody’s calls because we’re in the era of the point guard which is as good a position to build around as any — you simply have to have a premium point guard to compete these days — and with a bunch of salaries coming off the books next summer, if I’ve got to sign someone to a max deal, why not reward Rajon Rondo?

1. Jose Rivera says:

Julius ranked for dondo??? Javele mcgee for randle! I hate to see rondo leave the Celtics! But getting a big man for him is the route the Celtics have to go

2. Joe says:

I’m 89 years old and my mother told me it took me a long time to learn how to crawl, walk, and talk when I was a baby because I concentrated on the celtics games more then anything. I’ve followed Boston my entire life and I would love to talk to someone who loves and understands the game like I do. But let me tell you this….. I barley survived the Ray Allen betrayal and then when Pierce and Garnett left it tore me apart. Please Boston I am begging you. Be smart. I know Rondo is great and has the potential to carry this team. You need to be out there finding someone great to join the team to get some pressure of Rondos back. So in a few short words….. Keep Rondo!

3. Karlo Garcia says:

Why trade Rondo? He was very optimistic that he was the leader of this team when he is healthy again! Boston just has to be patient & see how it plays out!

• #dwade#flash says:

patient? the dude is 28. You cant learn and be a leader overnight, he was surrounded by great leaders when Pierce KG and Allen and even DOC was there, and still did not learn a thing or two. I dont think he has it on him, you have to have at least a little leadership on you to work on, but i think he got none. He is a great player dont get me wrong but i dont think he will grow in that aspect

4. wheresthabeet? says:

Celtics no longer have that “Pride”. They will lose Rondo as soon as they get an offer and continue to “rebuild, tank”, whatever you want to call it. I left the Celtics when I left Boston. Not the same league I grew up with.

5. Nate Sands says:

Rondo to the heat by trade deadline

6. Jimmy says:

is there any chance that Houston can receive Rondo through a trade? I know Houston does not have much to offer, but is there a chance? Rondo and James will probably for a very scary backcourt dual.

7. krespino says:

Playing the PG of the Celtics is no joke. It can not be an all-youth team, who knows when Smart will prove to be at that level if he ever can… Rondo is the PG to build AROUND… He is the rare floor general who could win some critical playoff games by himself. And the uncoachability thing should be exagerrated. In a league Gordon Hayward and Chandler Parsons get that kind of money Rondo does deserve a high salary, and he is the kind of player that will take any team to the next leve

8. Max says:

In today’s NBA market, ATTITUDE is so important to Fans and yes, season tickets. Rondo? A one man team. Can anyone really Coach Rondo?

• lbj says:

If you’re a point guard and you’re not stubborn, you’re not trying hard enough.

Rondo playing through various injuries and actually playing through that Atlanta game with a freaking torn ACL.

Pierce and KG were traded to Brooklyn with so much hope to compete for a championship at that time. As the last key Celtic from a proud era in the franchise’s history, Rondo deserves better than being dumped to just any other team.

• DenH says:

Doc Rivers could.. Brad Stevens can, this whole thing is bent so far out of shape just for a headline, the guy is an introvert, so what? so many people are.. He doesn’t have an attitude problem and if he did, his talent more than makes up for it.

9. Ruby Hume says:

If I were Rondo, I would leave Celtics and find a team that is more promising, one that can help him reach his fullest potential once again but I am not him. He is so talented and a great achiever; he deserves to have another championship ring. If he has to take less money for leaving Boston, it might be worthy–just take a look at L. James, who got two championship rings by joining Miami Heat. Regardless what he decides to do, I wish him the very best since he is and has been my favorite point guard for years. He has brought me (a 66 year-old grandmother) so much joy since 2,008 and I can thank him enough.

10. Old Leprechaun says:

I totally agree with Lang Whitaker. All this “must trade Rondo” mentality makes no sense to me. I think it’s much more likely that Rondo has a very good year, explores free agency, and then re-signs for not only less than max but less than he’s offered elsewhere. What his tenure in Boston most hinges on is the performance of the team, development of the young players (to make him want to stay, not Smart pushing him out), and how in tune he is with Stevens coaching philosophy.