Durant withdraws from Team USA

NBA.com staff reports

VIDEO: Durant Withdraws

2014 NBA MVP Kevin Durant will withdraw from the USA Men’s National Basketball team prior to the FIBA World Cup in Spain:

Durant released the following statement:

“This was an extremely difficult decision as I take great pride in representing our country. I know that I owe it to my USA Basketball teammates to be totally invested in the experience. After going through training camp with USAB, I realized I could not fulfill my responsibilities to the team from both a time and energy standpoint. I need to take a step back and take some time away, both mentally and physically in order to prepare for the upcoming NBA season. I will be rooting for USAB and look forward to future opportunities with them.”

This is another big blow to Team USA after the loss of Paul George and will place added responsibility on Derrick RoseStephen Curry and James Harden. It also means Team USA will only need to make three more roster cuts prior to the start of the FIBA World Cup on August 30.

1. Connie Holt says:

Love you to pieces K.D. no matter what. Do whats best for you. If you send me a message I’ll frame it. connieholt@gmx.com

2. I8A4RE says:

He’s weak and he’s a quitter, where’s the media backlash on this?

3. Louise Finley says:

A very astute decision made by KD. Why should he be taken further advantage of by the I.O.C. who does nothing but prey on our best players and make millions even billions in the process? K.D. needs the rest..no one plays harder than he in the regular season and come playoff time; but just as important is his realization that he has done enough to fatten the pocketbooks of those thieves who hide behind patriotism and goodwill. Mark Cuban is 100 percent correct when he says that there should be our own showcase of the best basketball players on our soil to benefit our charities and not contribute to the World Cup money-hungry scoundrels. The entire team should resign and send Coach. K. back to Duke and his sycophants. Ditto for Colangelo. It is just a sad, sad situation that our best pro basketball players find themselves immersed in and nothing being done about this.. Someone has to wake up and smell the roses.

4. Amor pelo jogo says:

Yes, i totally understand that he needs to take a rest, and that the decision could already had been made eveen before the camp started.

The BIG but is timing. After what appened to PG the decision sounds terribly when said out loud. If KD is a leader, whether is the tunder or USAB Team, he should back out on the “inicial” decision.

Now it just seems a frightened act, a easy way to get out.

• Wade says:

Physically and Mentally fatigue = weakness. Because of this KD should never be compare on the same level as LBJ, KOBE MJ or any of the greats.

5. Mike says:

INVITE TYREKE EVANS, he will give the Fiba teams fits just like Melo with his penetration and inside game.

6. ko0kiE says:

now it’s official team USA B

7. Edy says:

It is funny… KD says he is tired and with fatigue.. obviou it is because of Paul George’s injury…

Shame on you KD. You could to withdrawn before the training camp..

I cannnot understand why people didin’t think about this.. He could to stay at home since the begining of the trainning camp.

8. chi town says:

No good or bad decision … if you commit and without regret just do what you believe in and disregard other point of view… each one has their own path to pick

9. tenby0630 says:

With KD’s withdrawal, this would give other shooters (parsons,korver,hayward) in the team to shine. This would also shift coach Mike’s strategy to keep more big guys (plum,cousins) in the team. My personal lineup will be this:

Starters:

SF – Parsons
    C – Cousins
    PF – Faried

SF – Hayward
    SF – Korver

10. Onairos says:

I think USA Basketball Team need to invite Harrison Barnes or Thadeus Young… to play PF…to Small ball line up of the team..

11. Spurs 21 20 9 says:

This is a major blow to the USAB team. I hope they can build chemistry fast because they are starting to look mighty thin now. KD made a good choice I wish him the best. I wish the best for the USAB team too.

12. cp10 says:

Good decision. Recharge those batteries KD, look at Manu, Tim Duncan, and LJ.

• allaroundballer says:

Question is why now? Because of PG injury? Of course durant or anyone who withdraw won’t say that. It’s normal to worry n take care of your self as a pro. But to me, it shows a little disrespect to PG and USAB (all roster n coach). Next time any player should think first before ruining the plan. That’s the moral lesson. Or you guys should back to 1988, just don’t send pro ballers

• lalalalla says:

you selfish people needs to respect his decision… so what if he quts just now? it’s better to announce than none at all.

13. harriethehawk says:

I concur with what everyone has stated. Actually, from what I saw during open practice, his mind seems to be somewhere else. Yeah, exhaustion, but he wants to win a title. And he probably sees a barrier even more so now, that he saw his comrade get hurt. I am not shocked by this, a smart move by Kevin Durant, and he probably won’t be the only one who bows out. Coach K may not even have to make any cuts at all. WOW.

14. tremill says:

Kd is a greet player. Even they need rest sometimes. Gives others like (parsons) and (gordan) a chance to play and puts more weight on hardens shoulders which he needs because parsons left. Curry and rose are going to do what they do anyway. This could be good.

15. Tim says:

I think this is a good decision by KD and would not be surprised to see others follow suit after the injury to George.

16. John Williams says:

Wouldn’t be surprised if the Thunder organization told him to refrain from competing after seeing what happened to Paul George, good for his long term career and honestly, he deserves a break!

17. chi town says:

D-Rose team! USA team is about heart of championship

18. TJ Smith says:

I cant blame him. Especially when you know that your going to play in the Olympics. Why put extra tax on your body when the competition is at home resting, training, getting better, and studying more ways to stop you.

19. usa says:

haha i think the george injury had him thinking, why would i play for USA when i can take tis time off

20. Ryan says:

I respect his decision to not play. I just bought a brand new Team USA KD jersey and am sort of disheartened now that I won’t be able to rep KD since he’s not on the team now. GO USA!