Morning Shootaround — June 26

VIDEO: Jabari Parker is the No. 1 pick in NBA TV’s 2014 Mock Draft

NEWS OF THE MORNING

Report: Wade, James Bosh discuss future | Durant backs James’ opt-out call | Van Gundy ready for all Monroe offseason scenarios | Bucks’ Antetokounmpo grows two inches

No. 1: Report: Heat’s ‘Big Three’ get together to talk future — Let the worrying about the Miami Heat’s future begin … if it hadn’t already. LeBron James opted out of his contract on Tuesday and his fellow Heat All-Star teammates, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade, may do so soon, too. So what happens next for the “Big Three” in Miami? The first thing was a meeting over dinner to presumably discuss what the future may look like in Heat-ville. Brian Windhorst of ESPN.com has more:

Much like they did before signing with the Miami Heat in 2010, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh got together for a meeting to discuss their futures on Wednesday, sources told ESPN.com.

James opted out of the final two years and $42 million of his contract with the Heat on Tuesday. Wade and Bosh have until midnight on Monday to decide if they will follow suit.

The meeting included a meal at a South Beach eatery, the Miami Herald reported.

Additionally, Miami-based Associated Press reporter Tim Reynolds had the following to add on the meeting via Twitter:

***

No. 2: Durant backs James’ opt-out decision — Washington, D.C.-area native Kevin Durant was back in his hometown yesterday to unveil his newest sneaker, the Nike KD 7. While the focus of that visit was about the new footwear, Durant did take a few moments to sound off on LeBron James‘ opt-out decision and pledged his support for the Heat star’s move. Dan Steinberg of The Washington Post has more on what KD had to say:

If James needed support, enter Kevin Durant. The NBA’s reigning NBA — in Washington on Wednesday afternoon to unveil his new Nike sneaker — said he didn’t understand the furor.

“I don’t know what the big deal is,” Durant said, shortly after his “KD7″ was revealed. “You know, as a player, I think that’s the best way to go about it. You can have all your options. It’s better for you as a player to opt-out, because you can get a market deal, you can get more years. You never know what will happen if you pass up on that. So I didn’t know what the big deal was. I’m sure it was a decision he made — something he was thinking about — for him and his family.”

“I don’t think it’s fair,” Durant told a small group of local reporters. “I don’t think anything that you guys criticize LeBron [about] is fair. He switched teams; he’s not the first guy to do it. He decided to opt out; he’s not the first guy to do it. Sometimes a lot of people criticize him a little bit too much for doing normal things, doing stuff that everybody has done. [Even] Tim Duncan went into free agency before. He got courted by quite a few teams. We’ll see what happens with me, but everybody’s done the same thing. He’s not the first.”

***

No. 3: Van Gundy knows what Pistons will do about Monroe — There are some big names on the free-agent market we are all well aware of — Carmelo Anthony, LeBron James, yada yada yada. But one of the lesser-known but just as impactful names is found in Detroit — big man Greg Monroe. He is a restricted free agent this summer and new coach/team president Stan Van Gundy has made staying in touch with Monroe an offseason focus. As David Mayo of MLive.com reports, Van Gundy has already worked out all the possible Monroe scenarios — and his counter moves:

Van Gundy said the team has discussed sign-and-trade possibilities, but if none of those reaches fruition and Monroe signs an offer sheet with another team, the Pistons are prepared to react to any eventuality.

“We’ve been through basically every million-dollar increment of an offer sheet he can get, and what will we do if he takes the option of signing an offer sheet, and this is what he comes back with, what will we do?” Van Gundy said. “So to me, there’s not going to be any drama in it for us. We’ve already made that decision. We’ve already talked that through with ownership.”

Van Gundy said he has spent “well over half my time” on the Monroe situation since his May 13 hiring, calling it “the most important thing on our plate for the offseason.”

“It’s certainly an indication of how much I value him,” Van Gundy said of his time expenditure.

Van Gundy did say sign-and-trade options have been considered but added that the one thing he won’t do is make a trade “because I feel like I got pushed into it.”

“If we make a trade, we’re going to get something we like, or we will not make a trade,” he said, adding that the Pistons “either want him (Monroe) back or we want good value for him.”

Van Gundy said the Pistons are “pretty comfortable that we’ll come out of this OK, no matter what happens.”

“I think you at least have to have a plan where if this happens, are we ready? What’s next for us? And we are ready,” Van Gundy said. “For me, that situation, we know exactly where we’re headed on that, so there’s not a lot of anxiety, in terms of what’s going to happen.”

VIDEO: Relive some of Greg Monroe’s best plays from last season

***

No. 4: Bucks’ Antetokounmpo confirms he’s grown two inches — Who doesn’t love the Milwaukee Bucks vibrant, long-limbed, do-it-all young big man Giannis Antetokounmpo? The man known as “The Greek Freak” is gearing up for the NBA Draft like the rest of us and he hopes to see his older brother, Thanasis, taken tonight. But Giannis has been plenty busy this offseason himself and in a one-on-one interview with BasketballInsiders.com’s Alex Kennedy, he reveals how he’s been honing his jump shot and that he’s grown to 6-foot-11 now, too:

BI: I saw a report recently that said you grew two inches since you got drafted last year. Is that true?

Antetokounmpo: Yeah, it’s true. When I came in, I was 6’9. Now, I’m almost 6’11. I don’t know if that’s a bad thing or a good thing.

BI: That sounds like a good thing. (laughs)

Antetokounmpo: Yeah, it sounds like a good thing for me. But I still have to adjust, because I’m growing. I have to adjust my game to that.

BI: Do you think you could keep growing? Do you think you could maybe top 7’0?

Antetokounmpo: No! I hope I stop growing! (laughs)

BI: Is your wingspan longer too?

Antetokounmpo: I really don’t know, I never check that.

BI: You have worked with trainer Josh Oppenheimer. What’s your relationship like with him? How has it been working with him? He is one of the best shooters I’ve ever seen in my life; he doesn’t miss.

Antetokounmpo: Oh my God, Josh is a really good guy and a really good coach. He always gives me advice, he always talks to me on the phone and he just tries to make me great. He always gives me a challenge and I really like working with him. For the record, I beat Josh once [in a shooting contest] last year.

BI: Is it tough to deal with the pressure though? At this time a year and a half ago, you didn’t have that much pressure on you. Now, you almost have the weight of a franchise on your shoulders.

Antetokounmpo: No, I don’t have pressure. As a player, I will never have pressure. I’m just playing the game just to have fun, and I’m going to continue doing that. I think that’s what driving me. By having fun every day ,that makes me stay more and work harder. When practice finishes every day, I stay more because I’m having fun. I don’t want to leave. That makes me better. I’m still working more and more and more, and I’m just trying to have fun and push the pressure to the side.

VIDEO: Inside Stuff takes a deeper look at Bucks big man Giannis Antetokounmpo

***

SOME RANDOM NEWS: Steve Nash‘s team beat Dirk Nowitzki‘s team at Nash’s annual soccer match for charity … Seems quite likely that Raptors swingman John Salmons could be waived soon … The Rockets’ trade of Omer Asik to New Orleans is setting the table for a big push for Carmelo Anthony or LeBron James in free agency … Tyson Chandler is back in Dallas in a trade that helps get the Mavs in the ‘Melo sweepstakes … Speaking of the Pelicans, their next move should be to find a small forward … Some key questions for the Nuggets as Draft night nears …

1. add coupon says:

I like carmelo a lot i think he should stay with the knicks. can’t keep running away from the problems sometimes it best to just work it out.

2. Barfield says:

LeBron’s wife wants to go home and be with her family so she has a say in the next move (Cleveland). Money wise that’s not a smart move because LBJ pays no taxes in Florida. If cleveland can land Kevin Love I see ne reason for LeBron to stay with the Heat other than saving a few million in taxes.

3. heat all day says:

He aint gon leave cuz heat just got shabazz napier so I dont know what they re going to do with mario chalme4s for his play in 4he playoffs

4. paul says:

boooo…le bron james selfish man arrogant ignorant

5. TheRealKINGJames says:

you haters are ridiculous. Im staying the heat (obviously) and we are going to win at least 3 more championships together. maybe more. get used to it.

6. Kobe-James-Melo-Love-Nash says:

1. Carmelo opted out..
    2. Lebron opted out..
    3. Love on a trading Block..
    4. They all go to LA..

7. kpLAKERS says:

everybody just stop LOOK the heat was exposed this finals but only because they didnt get help from the big 3 (not james,wade, and bosh) the other big 3 with the whistles. Face it now james knows its over time to go. YA’LL better hope he and melo dont put on the purple and gold. I mean after all La La Anthony works more in La then anywhere else.plus LeBron always been HOLLYWOOD. HAHAHAHAHAH

8. Cam Vann says:

I don’t understand what the real issue of all this sort of nonsense bc at the end of it all that’s all that there is to it. LBJ is a humble man amoungst some of the most sincere levels of where Superstar meets Down to Earth and above all else Hunger to be the Greatest Player/Person that he can be. I have read and witnessed countless site and group/board discussions where so many of these so-called “LBJ Haters” point out the what they wouldn’t have done or call him arrogant or disingenuous when there are plenty of individuals that we know personally in our lives or throughout sports who think of just themselves all the time, who have no filter no relatability “Kobe Bryant” with the regular folks like the ones who dillegently post their thoughts on these sites. If you’re looking for a role model than what is wrong at looking at LeBron he’s an excellent man to follow.. to come from where he comes from and obtain the success that he has achieved is more than something that deserves praise. I get that people get mad at the Decision.. I didn’t bc I understand he didn’t become a diva throughout the 7 seasons he played in Cleveland and they were unsuccessful at reaching an NBA Title bc when has 1 vs 5 ever worked? The front office didnt surround him with an efficient team and if you disagree well look at Cleveland now and ask yourself really has much changed since he left? I will also note that he recieved 2 MVP’s and 1 East Conf Title while there but that was all off of his back. LeBron hasn’t had a Scottie a Shaq a Duncan nor a Phil a Pop or a Riley. He waited until the end of his tenure and chose to seek what he could work to competing much like San Antonio w the exception that they draft well and remain competative due to those circumstances of a great core group of guys and great coaching thats the recipe and thats all LeBron wanted.and for half of that it did work bc of the position he put himself in.

That’s the difference between having a job and earning a career, you should love what you do and do it to its highest level of potential and if your 9-5 told you we’ll pay you whatever you want but you work with a-holes for 8+ hrs straight your not going to enjoy that then it would be about the money and just that. Yet if you work in your field of what you know and its something you’ve always have wanted and you thrive and become great in it and you are still able to take care of your family what is the crime in doing that. You get to pick where you work so why cant he?

9. paul murray says:

Miami won one legit championship over a poorly coached OKC and got lucky last year. Blown away in other two. Wade should retire and Bosh is no superstar by any measure. LeBron needs to get over himself and start playing as a team member instead of looking for a legacy. Miami is toast for the immediate future so a tough decision. He loses either way, but he set himself up for that with his stupid ego. Champions have team lunches!!!

• Chris G - LB says:

Sound like a complete moron.

Giving Lebron zero credit.

If Lebron stays: Heat go back to East finals at the very least.
      If Lebron Leaves: Heat are 8th seed in “Bad” east.

what does that say about one guy that carries this team?

10. NHL is so much better says:

Frank. Honestly do you even watch basketball? Lebron James does not have character? One wife. kids. never heard anything about a mistress and lets face it the guy has millions to spend and hes a global icon. Kobe has played with the same team his whole career. Does that mean he has character? He also cheated. So thats a character guy too right? playing for one team through thick and thin. You need to pull your head out of whatever hole it’s in, grab a dictionary and LEARN YOUR WORDS!! Egotistical might be a better word for what your trying to say. He’s the best player in the world and he wants to be known the rest of his life and beyond that he’s the greatest of all time. If he wants to change his team and chase championships why not do it… He cant play for the rest of his life. Theres no guarantee he is leaving. Pat Riley cant afford to get Anthony and would be stupid to get him. They both are SF and the wear and tear of them playing PF would result in significant struggles. Wade should take a huge pay cut because hes not going to be playing for more than 3 years. If LBJand Bosh took a pay cut as well they could go after a Gortat and Lawry which in turn would be much more beneficial in the long haul. Not to mention it would put Bosh back at the 4 and be a stretch big. They need a big man and a replacement for chalmers who has slid since being drafted. All in all educate your self boy dont make stupid comments that “no one” agrees with.

11. MJ says:

Lebron is 2 for 5 in NBA championships…hahahahahahah…enough said.

12. Michael Bethely says:

Honestly I could careless what Lebron does in free agency. I just hope he don’t repeat what he did the last time. It was a disgrace to basketball and the fans. I do believe he will leave because if he wanted to stay he would have opt in like Bosh and Wade is. Plus it don’t matter what team he goes to. If Dallas, Houston, or even Chicago gets Melo it’s a done deal.

• shane says:

that’s stupid. If Wade opts in, he could be traded. Lebron opted out so he could guarantee he would be paid for at least 4 more years if he ever had a career threatening injury. Wade and Bosh should do the same and possibly take a few million less to make room to bring in a big man. No disrespect to Melo but as you saw with the “big 3″ the first year, chemistry doesn’t just happen.

13. josh haley says:

anthony 12m
    lewis 1m
    love 12m

14. larry brooks says:

Frank=dumb

15. Jonas says:

You Frank Pihoker- San Antonio Spurs For Life.. really don’t know how nba it is.. go and watch baseball man..

• Frank Pihoker- San Antonio Spurs For Life says:

um…I do know how the nba is and sports as a whole…unfortunately they’re getting worse…but oh well…still an NBA fan and a Spurs fan…and btw, I don’t like baseball…

16. ricz says:

So.. Durant is the reigning NBA huh

• kpLAKERS says:

he is but he needs to be a wrestler and learn how to choke slam westbrook when he gets out of control

17. Philip says:

They’re probably discussing who they want as their new coach

18. Frank Pihoker- San Antonio Spurs For Life says:

Oh shut up Durant. You want to know why people don’t support LeBron, here’s why: People have lost a lot of respect for LeBron because he’s arrogant. It would be different if he was like Tim Duncan, Kawhi Leonard, and other stars who aren’t arrogant. Also, all players in the NBA should be about TEAM, not their own personal stats and achievements, which they can enjoy having good stats and achievements, but too many players are too focused on themselves.

What’s sad is that many people (coaches, players, and FANS) don’t realize the importance of character. They’re too focused on the game and they worship basketball and all the stars, especially LeBron. Many people will never understand. I’m ok with people being fans of teams such as the heat, but they shouldn’t be worshipping players, especially if they’re arrogant. All of you who read this know what I’m saying is true, whether you like it or not, it’s TRUTH. It’s very simple and a good lesson to learn.

So Durant, don’t bring Duncan into this. He has stuck to his team through thick and thin and he has character. I’m not saying you can’t go to a different team, as long as it’s for a good reason, but what stands out most about players is character and commitment, which Duncan has and LeBron doesn’t . !

• European fan says:

Why shouldnt they? Its their decision. Why should anyone be forced to play for a team whose porpuse is to make money with the player and refuse to pay for other quality player? Oh and btw Duncan was supposed to leave back in the doc rivers orland days and the situation was similar to this. Leonard has only played 3 seasons (lbj played 7 in cleveland) and has been playing for pop and a contending team. lbJ had nothing like that

• Frank Pihoker- San Antonio Spurs For Life says:

Let me just start out by saying that you’re not understanding my point. My main focus is on CHARACTER. I think you need to read over my comment again, especially the last paragraph. In the last paragraph, I only mentioned Duncan’s commitment, not Leonard, because like you said, he’s only played 3 seasons, but still, Leonard is a humble guy and LeBron isn’t. And, no matter what happened in the past, Duncan’s always been a spur. Also, in my last paragraph, I stated that I don’t have a problem with players changing teams… but you need to think about the way LeBron went about changing teams and the way he has become more arrogant ever since he left Cleveland. That just comes to show that his apology for the way he left Cleveland was FAKE! So, read comments CAREFULLY before you respond.

• ads says:

um….if i offer you 20 million dollars… will you say you’ll take 5 million because you want teammates that you can really rely on? He might be arrogant yeah… but the team thing… taking a pay cut with the production your giving is….ridiculous but he did… so that that money can be given to the pockets of the team around him. If that doesn’t say team then i dont know what is…

For a guy who keeps rambling about arrogance tell me…how many dollars have you donated? How many hours have you given for charity. If Lebron is arrogant… then ill take that bastard over someone who hasn’t given anything back his whole damn life. You tellin’ KD to shut up? Dude… you just sound crazy no one wants to know your opinion.

• lonelyisland says:

Really? Character? Lebron is a selfless player he loves it when his team plays great. As he said himself there is no better feeling in basketball than seeing his team play at a high level with confidence. As for humble, he humbled himself after the 2011 loss to the mavs, and really changed into a better person. On and off the court. Gtfo of here with your extremely biased and blind opinion that no one cares to here other then biased LeBron haters.

• Warmbeauti says:

I agree with Kevin Durant 100% and Lonleyisland. All basketball leaders have a certain level of arrogance and confidence its sometimes difficult to differentiate between the two. However, it is what it is and GET OVER IT!!! The media really has nothing better to do but to provoke the players to wrath! Players must do what they feel is best for them! Anyway LBJ for life!!!!

• Frank Pihoker- San Antonio Spurs For Life says:

lol y’all are hilarious… y’all know what I’m saying is true…

• Frank Pihoker- San Antonio Spurs For Life says:

If you don’t care for my opinion, then why respond?? ahahahahaha

19. typo says:

Kevin Durant, the NBA’s reigning NBA….LOLZ

20. Kimmy says:

I would have lovef to be a fly on the wall at that restaurant w LeBron, Wade and Fish Bosh.

21. Clips says:

And his mom … is a former high jumper.

haha athletic genes nice gonna watch out for this kid now! Still not gonna try to pronounce his name.

22. sally says:

Probably what the Heat have in mind is, the big three will opted out of their contracts so that they can take a pay cut to get “Melo” and come back with a big splash as “The Big Four”. Sounds like a plan to me …. I ‘m for it !!! The big three are not going anywhere !!

• lets go mavs says:

why does everybody think melo is going to make them better? i guess those ppl would be the bandwagon jumpers that do not anything about the nba other the lame 3. melo is a ball hog and has weak defense. he will not work in their sytem. which they do not even have a system anymore because everybody but spo doesnt realize that they have been figured out. he doesnt realize that he actually has to coach now because the lame 3 can longer handle good teams by themselves. they may get to the finals if the east does not do anything this offseason, but spurs are repeating. unless my mavs can continue to strengthen. they are already off to a good start to the offseason.

• TheWetness says:

It’d still be the big three…Dwayne Wade is just your average chump now.

• OldCelt says:

Who is playing center? Spirit of Greg Oden?

• kpLAKERS says:

sorry but its over no more pay cuts even though they make to much anyway but i dont see that happening

23. IF ROCKETS DONT GET JAMES or CARMELO they gotta get bosh

• kpLAKERS says:

No more Bosh talk he’s over rated and over paid he has no post game and very inconsistent with the jump shot really what has he done really

• hdsnake867 says:

The BIG 3 was only 2 1/2 men. Add in Wade’s bum knees and its just 1 1/2 men. The Heat will be nothing next season. An 8th seed at best. They have no center, no bench and Chalmers is headed to the door. I really don’t see Napier as the team savior.

24. RPS72 says: