Blogtable: A coach, other details in L.A.

Each week, we’ll ask our stable of scribes across the globe to weigh in on the three most important NBA topics of the day — and then give you a chance to step on the scale, too, in the comments below.

BLOGTABLE: What to do in Miami | Spurs faves in 2015? | Who wants to be Lakers’ coach?

> The Lakers still don’t have a head coach, and the NBA Draft is a week from Thursday. If you’re a Lakers fan, are you worried about that? Why?

Steve Aschburner, NBA.com: Worried about the coaching vacancy? Heck, if I’m a Lakers fan, I’m not even worried about the Draft. We’re the Lakers, remember. Our fate isn’t tied to any stupid Draft, much less any guy in a suit. We make trades and sign free agents when we need help, and the league is full of players dying to leverage their way to L.A. to make our jobs easier. OK, so it hasn’t happened lately and the Dwight Howard defection was a reason to wonder if — nah, heck with that, too. That was Howard’s mistake. We’re the Lakers, remember? Everyone wants us to be good, thus we soon shall be. We don’t sweat the small stuff. And if our surgeons are doing their jobs, we don’t sweat at all.

Kobe Bryant (Layne Murdoch/NBAE)

Kobe Bryant (Layne Murdoch/NBAE)

Fran Blinebury, NBA.com: If I’m a fan, I’m far more worried that the Lakers don’t actually have a team.

Jeff Caplan, NBA.com: If I’m a Lakers fan, I’m not worried that we’re getting into late June and there’s no coach in place, I’m just kind of numb to the fact that there doesn’t appear to much sizzle among any of the candidates. And on a broader level, I’m concerned how Kobe Bryant accepts the new hire and how that dynamic will affect the next year or two as the Lakers desperately try to fast-track a rebuild.

Scott Howard-Cooper, NBA.com: As if Lakers fans need a reason to get emotional. But on that point in particular, I wouldn’t be worried. Management signaled from the start this may be resolved later rather than sooner and did little to hide the possibility the search would reach beyond July 1 to match the coach with the roster and maybe even give a select one or two players input on the decision. If there is a concern, it’s that the Lakers didn’t have a strong commitment to a future with Mike D’Antoni and now are giving the same sense with his successor. If the front office had someone it really wanted, Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak would have closed the deal by now.

John Schuhmann, NBA.com: I’d be more worried about the lack of young and healthy players under contract than the lack of a coach. They have four guys under contract, including two – Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash – who are over the age of 35, who played a total of 21 games this season, and who are owed more than $33 million next season. They have cap space, but not much in regard to assets to trade for a star or championship-potential to lure one in free agency.

Sekou Smith, NBA.com: No. I’m much more worried about the fact that the Lakers don’t have much of a roster beyond Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash. Based on the absence of personnel to work with, the coaching vacancy is the least of my worries … if I’m a Lakers fan.

Lang Whitaker, NBA.com’s All Ball blog: What, we worry? The Lakers have Kobe Bryant, who looked pretty good on an indoor soccer pitch in Brazil this week. Other than that, what? Well, you’re going to get the number 7 overall player in the draft. And then you’ve got…a pretty nice arena? Look, expectations should be low for the Lakers because they are not a playoff team right now. They have a lot to figure out — coaching staff among these things — and they’ve probably built up enough institutional trust to be rewarded with at least a little patience from their fans. Give them some time to figure it out. Wait ’til next year. Then? If things aren’t headed the right direction by then, then you can make some noise about the demise of the Lake Show.

1. BHP lakers fan says:

Hire Byron Scott… a team needs a leader to make a play…although that is no worry for a lakers team bcoz we had already went too many championships…

2. rookie98 says:

The Lakers at minimum bring back Young Bizemore and Meeks. If money allows bring back Johnson and Farmar , Kobe wiil he says will be back so that leaves front court to strengthen Kelly and Hill both had good seasons. The Lakers are really a couple front court players away from contentions.

3. Lakers hire Lionel Hollins says:

PG: Avery Bradly/ Meeks, Nash ???
    SG: Kobe Bryant/ Bazemore
    SF: Carmelo Anthony /Young
    PF: Kevin Love/ Hill, Randle ???
    C: Omer Asik/ Gasol

Lakers can consider trading their 7th pick along with Nash or they can keep him.

4. Lakers hire Lionel Hollins says:

LAKERS!!!!!! please hire Lionel Hollins.

Bring Bazemore, Meeks, Young, Avery Bradly (7th pick Randle? ) Pau if discount price, Omer Asik, & Melo

5. Juice em up says:

All of you wanted to land a superstar with high pay checks, why don’t you ask your lake show to develop some new talents like the spurs, and bobcats.

6. Karlo Garcia says:

If I was a Lakers fan, I would be not worried about not hiring a coach. They got to put fort a foundation to work around then have an idea about the coach. If they hired a coach without a foundation then they got no direction which with the coach can work around and built a team.

7. Nico says:

I’m not a laker fan – so I hope they endure 5-6 seasons with 20-25 wins and low-pick draft-busts.

8. Abdul says:

YES! finally a real article. Ive been dying to hear about the Lakers….

9. Patrick says:

Face it LA fans, the “Lake Show” is over, for at least 2 years. It’s a shame too, being that I am a Spurs fan, the Lakers and Spurs rivalry was superb…

10. Victor says:

I admit I’m not a very knowledgeable fan but the comment I agree the most with is celentano’s. It seems like since the Laker’s lost the two Jerrys, Buss and West, things just haven’t been the same… nor will be?

11. X says:

hire chot reyes!!or manny pacquiao as coach!lol!

12. randomguy says:

As a Laker fan, I really have no expectations for this team for the forseeable future. I’m kinda sad that Kobe will be going out like this, but I am resigned to the fact we are not getting into the playoffs until he retires and we actually start a rebuild. There’s no realistic way to rebuild a contender again in his time, so unless LeBron and co decide they would prefer LA to Miami, I am looking forward to watching some 20 win seasons.

13. TY says:

The Lakers need a strong Power Forward and a f6rist rate combo guard to complement Kobe. If Pau Gasol will come back at a much lower price tag, he will do. If Nick Young would come back, he will be worth some money. If Andrew Bynum will come back with a non-guaranteed contract, he will do. If Kevin Love or Russell Westbrook would consider coming back to LA, that would be great. With that roster, Brian Shaw will definitely consider coming to be the head coach of the Lakers.

14. Kimmy says:

That’s why they are faker fans, they never admit the truth. Of course they are worried. Have been since Dwight Howard yelled at them when he made his final exit as a faker player.

15. Kobe-James-Melo-Love-Nash says:

No!! We are not worried.. LA is LA.. So Melo, we are waiting for you here and also bring your friend James..

16. Steve-o607 says:

I’m a huge lakers fan and know if Kobe is a 100 percent we can make it to the playoffs,but if we want to make it far in the playoffs or even compete for a championship we need help…kevin love,lebron or even melo!!!

17. dunjav2013 says:

Reblogged this on dunjav.

18. Tim says:

I’m a later fan nd yes we need a better team Kobe can’t do it himself nd yes we need to find a coach quick fast in a hurry

• kekekek says:

doesnt matter if you find a coach in the next week or 2.

You guys dont even have a roster!

19. celentano says:

As a long time Lakerfan,i’m very dissapointed with they’rs lack of deciding or what finaly to do with the team and the coach searching! It’s still a mess now,draft picks makes no real hope until you realy knows what’s worth about the draft players
    they throw to much cash away last season getting Howard overpaying Kobe,Nash,Howard+ Mike D.!!!
    They made a big hole for themself it’s hard to get out now,better not to trust Jim B. his staff & his own sister too.Jerry must be turning in his grave now!

20. Jay says:

This is “Ko-me” time. Now he can shoot at will – not that he hasn’t his entire career – but now, there will be less criticism for doing so. He was paid to continue filling arenas and the way he does that is by volume shooting that will pad his stats. There’s no championship in his or the team’s future for the next few years so he’ll just shoot hoping to climb the all time scoring list. If you’re a Lakers fan, then this is dismal.

• kekekek says:

Youre right, thats exactly what they are paying him for.

My guess is this, if they somehow manage to get a decent roster, kobe will shoot them into a 8th seed, and a first round playoff exit.

21. Jroc118 says:

As a true Laker fan you have to just take this time period as it is. As a franchise, the Lakers are number two on the list of most championships won. Kobe helped to bring five of those. I’m not saying settle for this rag-tag position we are in but at least have some patience. Its been proven that when the Lakers win, they win in bunches. I believe Lakers will be rebuilding for at least another 3 years before they are even included in the conversation of potential champions. Right now, the trophy is wide open. The West is soooo competitive that at least 4 teams (OKC Thunder, Spurs, LA Clippers, Memphis) have a great shot at going to the finals. As a Laker fan I want to see Westbrook, Kevin Love, and Kobe wearing the same jersey just once.

22. esc says:

If Pat Riley is serious about keeping LeBron, then he himself should take a pay-cut. This message is from an independent thinker and qualified obsever. Not many of us around…

• vinsanefan says:

Interesting thought, but cutting management or coaching salaries doesn’t help the Heat avoid paying luxury tax for player salaries. The two items are separate.