Morning Shootaround: June 15

VIDEO: GameTime: Media Day Recap

NEWS OF THE MORNING

Anthony leaning toward leaving? | Monroe hoping for options | LeBron wants to make history | Spurs not looking to walk away

No. 1: Anthony leaning toward leaving? — The Carmelo Anthony winds will probably blow in a few different directions over the next few weeks. Right now, they’re blowing toward Chicago and Houston, according to Yahoo! Sports Adrian Wojnarowski:

New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony is leaning toward leaving in pursuit of immediate championship contention, and awaits the Chicago Bulls and Houston Rockets to clear the necessary salary-cap space to sign him in free agency, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

As re-signing with the Knicks continues to fade as his priority, Chicago and Houston have emerged as the clear frontrunners to acquire Anthony, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Anthony’s meeting with Knicks officials on Friday night had little impact on his state of mind, league sources said, because there remain too many uncertainties about how quickly president Phil Jackson can reshape the team into a championship contender.

Chicago and Houston front-office executives are working diligently on contingencies to clear the space to sign Anthony outright – or engage sign-and-trade scenarios with New York, sources said.

***

No. 2: Monroe hoping for options — The Detroit Pistons will be an interesting team to watch this summer. Stan Van Gundy has taken over basketball operations and he’s got to decide if he can improve the team enough as a coach or if major roster changes need to be made. One variable is restricted free agent Greg Monroe, who spoke with the New Orleans Times-Picayune‘s Nakia Hogan about hitting the market in July:

“I’m hoping and praying that I will have some options,” Monroe said without divulging any potential landing spots. “As it looks right now I will have some. But I am just preparing myself and doing the normal things that I would around this time, working out. And on July 1, I’ll be with my agent and we’ll go through the process together.”

Returning to the Pistons isn’t out of the question. Stan Van Gundy, their recently hired coach/president, has said he is a fan of Monroe. Van Gundy also has said that he can envision Monroe playing next to center Andre Drummond.

“I’ve been in communication with Van Gundy,” Monroe said. “I met with him and he understands the position I am in right now and I am going to go through the process. I haven’t met (new general manager Jeff) Bower yet. But I have met with Van Gundy and have kept in constant contact with him through text messages.”

Without giving it his full endorsement, Monroe believes he could fit in with Drummond and small forward Josh Smith to form a big front line.

The trio wasn’t a good fit last season. But Van Gundy could change that.

***

No. 3: LeBron looking to make history — No team has ever come back from a 3-1 deficit to win The Finals. But eventually, some team will be the first. LeBron James wonders why it couldn’t be his team, as our Jeff Caplan writes:

The odds are heavily stacked against him. No team in league history has recovered from a 3-1 hole in The Finals to win the championship. The Spurs, after they arguably played as near to perfection during Games 3 and 4 in Miami as any team ever, have never lost a 3-1 lead in a playoff series with Gregg Popovich as coach. The Heat, so used to this script being flipped, have never faced such a deficit in the Big Three era.

So when the Heat take the floor at the AT&T Center for Game 5 on Sunday night (8 p.m. ET, ABC), James said his speech to his teammates will urge them to make the impossible possible.

“Why not us? Why not us?” James said. “History is made to be broken, and why not me be a part of it? That would be great. That would be a great story line, right?”

***

No. 4: Spurs not looking to walk away — With the San Antonio Spurs on the brink of their fifth championship, it’s natural for those of us on the outside to wonder if their older principles – Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Gregg Popovich – would take the opportunity to go out on top. But they all sound like they feel like they have at least another year or two of basketball in them. Our Fran Blinebury got the story after practice on Saturday:

Maybe it’s human nature. We like to write endings to other people’s stories.

But just because it might fit into a neat narrative, don’t think that the chance to raise another NBA championship trophy over their heads sometime in the next week should automatically mean Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili will walk out the door and bring an end to the era of the Spurs’ Big Three.

“I don’t have any plans on doing anything,” the 38-year-old Duncan said Saturday. “I’m going to figure it out when it comes. I’m not saying I’m retiring. I’m not saying I’m not retiring. I’m not saying anything. I’m going to figure it out as it goes. I’ve always said if I feel like I’m effective, if I feel like I can contribute, I’ll continue to play. Right now I feel that way, so we’ll see what happens.”

***

SOME RANDOM HEADLINES: Mikhail Prokhorov says he isn’t interested in selling the Nets … who believe that Kevin Garnett will return for a second season in Brooklyn (and 20th season overall) … and Amar’e Stoudemire ain’t giving up $23.4 million (#notbreakingnews).

ICYMI of The Night: Tim Duncan sat down with Steve Smith to talk about the journey to his sixth Finals:

VIDEO: Steve Smith talks Finals and more with Tim Duncan

1. Totoy Mola says:

Melo on Cavs is a good idea. Why not? they are yet to max out their full potential.

Kyrie Irving, Luol Deng, Carmelo Anthony, Tristan Thompson, Joel Embiid (if ever). with Bench like Dion Waiters, Spencer Hawes, Varejao, Anthony Bennett (given he has worked himself up).

I mean anything’s possible. Basketball never stops.

2. kilbil713 says:

I think Melo should go to the Lakers. He likes to be in the limelight. Besides his woman is business savy.

Being from Houston we don’t need Melo. What Houston needs is talented role players to surround Howard and harden. Ex: kobe and shaq won 3 titles together and surrounded themselves with talented role players. I wouldn’t mind the rockets targeting Kevin love or a more solid point guard.

Chicago needs star power. I am a fan of rose but let’s all face it.. He is on the downfall of his career which is unfortunate because he.could have competed with Miami.

This all leaves Miami. After losing to San Antonio in this year’s finals, I belive the big 3 era is over. LeBron said it himself. ” that’s how team basketball is.” I think wade will retire in Miami but LeBron and bosh will leave. Good destination for LeBron would be new York to be under the great Phil Jackson, Chicago to.take the load off rose, LA to be part of a great franchise or go back home and team along with Irving. As for bosh, I belive Indiana, Boston, Brooklyn, or might try and stay in Miami to team up with wade.

I think the 2014 2015 championship contenders will be rockets, clippers, thunder from the west and from the east depends on what happens to Miami big 3 and where Melo and Love end up.

Follow me on instagram @kilbil713

• Common Sense says:

No offense but Harden is no Kobe…
      Regarding Melo, if he leaves the Knicks it’s because he can’t handle the pressure, that will be the only reason. With Jackson and Fisher there the expectations will be high. No one can coach more like Phil Jackson then his long time apprentice Fisher. It will be up to the players to show they can produce and Melo seems to like to be the one that does good with low expectations. And everyone in basketball knows it’s easier to get the job done in the East so he’ll probably stay there.

• Common Sense says:

By the way, what’s up with Lebron throwing his team under the bus????
      He said he tried to inspire his team by pushing at the beginning, but it obviously didn’t work…DANG, that’s messed up, talk about not accepting the blame…
      Then he says that they played team basketball, not his team…The team is only as good as their leader and they obvioulsy aren’t playing for him. I think Lebron forgot about his team so his team forgot about him.
      Lebron has a lot of growing to do to be a legend. He’s a fantastic athletic but he’s no legend

3. IVAN says:

Whoever take`s Melo, will be weaker on defense. Melo suffocates his team offensively also, and he never scores when it’s tight. The best that could happen to New York is to “lose” him. Huston?!! They are already full of “stars” thin in defense. Dwight’s only pretending to play defense, Harden, and Melo – they would look like wooden poles against Spurs.

4. galogainacoh says:

melo goine to miami

5. galogainacoh says:

brking new melo goine to Miami join LeBron james thankyou

6. JOEL says:

Melo to rockets makes the most sense. Moves from playoffs to genuine title threat.

Howard, Harden, Melo…

All young enough for a few years run. All locked up.

Big man to dominate, play making gun in Harden and threat in and out in Anthony.

D is a concern though they could go for D type PF.

• Josh says:

Melo to the rockets would be awful, you’ve got dwight howard who kind of demands to have the ball in his hands, James harden who also demands the ball and already has a tough time sharing as it is, so you’ve got 2 people who work kinda well together, and then you throw in melo, the name with the biggest usage rate in the game sitting next to it who insists that he simply plays ISO ball while you have 2 other superstars sitting there and watching, in honesty it doesnt matter where melo goes he’s simply going to ruin that team

• the spurs way says:

er…melo + harden = houston title contenders???
      have you been watching the finals??
      the team that won the title play with a ‘dont let the ball stick’ policy.
      pretty sure harden + melo play with a ‘let the ball stick (in my hands)’ policy

7. ARNEL VALENTIN says:

melo please go to miami,you and james is the all satar game.do you have a tittle. NO.so cme to miami.welcome to miami carmelo anthony.

8. dom says:

Kevin love isn’t a free agent though

9. cheflola says:

His best bet is to stay in NY. There he is a star. His ego is too big to share a spot light…definitely not Miami. We don’t want him there any ways…
    Besides, he doesn’t play well with the others “kids”…..he needs to be the Star…

10. Z17 says:

I am extremely hopefull that Carmelo comes to Houston, I am already tired of all this hype and then see the Rockets get knocked out of the first round

11. Troy Willis says:

Don’t forget,Kevin Love is still out there and,depending on the team,he’s just as big a free agent as Melo…

12. Travis Kendrick says:

Haha the bulls? They can’t even make it past the wizards and Derrick rose looks like he’s just damaged product at this point 2 acl tears in 2 years! He’d be lucky to play 2 more season with the way he plays. Melo would be much better off coming to houston or the clippers. Mark my words you will never see another team make it to the finals until Lebron leaves Miami so why even bother staying haha

13. Melo going to see Kobe they need some help and Kobe one more ring

14. Bron needed this ring according to kiddaa.info to cement his place as the next MJ

15. Chris Schrader says:

The Bulls are Carmelo’s best option if he wants to stay in the East and at the very least COMPETE for a title. The Bulls still have a strong defensive minded team and he’d be the missing link for them to complete the team and make them just as dangerous offensively.

People forget, Derrick Rose will be playing in the Worlds this year and will have already done the proper conditioning to help his body make the transition from being on the bench to being back in full playing mode. The Bulls will have more than enough time to fill the gaps to get players to sign. Carmelo isn’t my personal favorite choice for the Bulls but he’ll be a big help.

16. Melo choose wisely says:

The Bulls are actually a bad team to join. The teams he should consider are, Pacers, Clippers, Lakers, Rockets and Cavs

The core of all these teams are in their prime. Melo should definitely team up with Kevin Love.

17. swingman says:

Carmelo would be a great fit in chicago…..guaranteed championship if he goes there.

anthony, rose and noah would be freaking aweseom

18. rbrunn says:

Melo..Bron..Wade- Daaa Bulls!

19. magic fan says:

I think his best bet would be clippers, w paul who can create shots for people, strong def, the dunking from griffen, has a good bench, yea if he’s serious about winning that would be his best bet. w the bulls they have to giv up alot to get alittle and face it rose is done hes injury prone, Houston wouldnt be bad but not alot going on there, harden chokes in playoffs and howard just wait till he starts to cry, id avoid that situation the best way possible.
    maybe golden state ” a joke “

20. No clippers,go warriors says:

We should also add Kevin Love,who would love to come to such a good team.

21. No clippers,go warriors says:

I would consider Melo to go to Golden State.We have hired a great coach,Steve Kerr,who has played for Phil Jackson in Chicago.He also played under Gregg Poppovich,in San Antonio,so he has been very experienced.And we have such a great team,that can be a championship contender.

22. David says:

So

After Spurs win Championship (no coming back for Heat at this point):

Bosch and Wade go to Nets for max money. Prokhorov has shown he’s willing to pay older players for the star recognition and he doesn’t care about the luxury tax.

That frees up salary cap room for Miami to bring in Melo to play with his buddy, LBJ, but it’ll take them a few seasons to fully mesh.

Meanwhile, with Leonard, Diaw, Mills, and Splitter all continuing to improve, and allowing the Big Three to play limited minutes, the Spurs have a good shot at 2015 and 2016 Championships

Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, and Pop all retire after 2016 NBA Finals and end their careers in the 2016 Olympics.

Remember, you heard it here first

23. Mauro says:

There is NO WAY Melo is going to stay in NY…he is 30 now and needs a good team around him immediately….knicks havent got one single good player in the roster right now apart from Chandler…. Bargnani….Stoudamire….JR Smith…Felton…..these are no good at a certain level….:-(

24. Whitebeard says:

I hope he goes to Houston. The combined whining of Melo & Dwight would resonate all the way to Orlando..

25. MJFan says:

melo should go to heat it will be WADE PG RAY ALLEN SG CARMELO SF LEBRON PF BOSH C

26. Nope says:

The answer is simple if it’s only the two choices of Chicago and Houston. If he wants a team and coach that is playoff experienced, preaches defenses, 2 all-stars (1 MVP), and regarded as the most selfless in the group…. Melo is going to Chicago. Houston is the exact opposite of what Chicago has to offer (inexperienced coach, 2 first round exits, 2 all-stars that need the ball in their hands to do something, Asik needs to be gone for sign Melo… lowering their defense by a lot). Plus, Chicago is still in a weak East conference (only have to deal with the Heat if Lebron stays). And a note, Melo might want to hurry when free agent signing starts. Lebron isn’t gonna team up with Melo on some team, Lebron might beat you and sign with Chicago before Melo does..

27. okc2014 says:

I quickly reviewed last seasons final Power Rankings. According to that, the 5 best teams in the NBA are Spurs, Thunder, Clippers, Houston and Heat (in that order). The Heat are only top 5 because they are in the Leastern Conference. Let’s be real. If I was Carmello Anthony, Kevin Love, Greg Monroe, or any of the top 10 free agents, I’d be choosing (if a choice is possible) the Thunder (if Thunder has the salary space) or Houston. The Heat are moving down not up, the Clippers are in transition, the Spurs don’t need anyone, on top of the world. The Chicago Bulls are in transition and who knows what Derrick Rose is looking like. Carmello Anthony, the Houston Rockets is your best bet if you want to vie for a championship. Just sayin.

28. Rollie says:

Melo should join the San Antonio Spurs for lesser money . Time is running out for him if he joins a not contender Championship team. SPURS Team is the best place for him playing sided by side with Tony, Timmy and Manu.

29. LLLLLL says:

Get ready for the refs to help Miami tonight.

30. OKC says:

Morning Shootarounds should always be this short and concise.

31. TheKush says:

If I were Melo I’d leave and if I were the knicks I would resign jeremy lin to at the very least sell some jerseys while the knicks are in rebuilding mode!

• galogainacoh says:

thanks lots kind you are the king of the wold best//////////// I m almost 50 years old I have not seein anybody player lake you

32. Billal Allen says:

Melo, better place for ya is LA Lakers…

33. The hashtag #notbreakingnews is not funny for who would – seriously – consider giving up twenty-three-point-four-million-Dollar?