Duncan laughs at verbal war with Heat

VIDEO: Tim Duncan doesn’t seem to understand the firestorm behind his comments

SAN ANTONIO — As bold predictions go, it was hardly vintage Muhammad Ali declaring what he would do to his next opponent.

It wasn’t even LeBron James counting out all the championships — “not one, not two, not three, not four…” — before he played his first game in Miami.

In fact, Tim Duncan finds it amusing that he supposedly fueled a verbal war with the Heat prior to the start of the NBA Finals.

“I don’t know what I said that was so bad,” Duncan said Wednesday following practice at the AT&T Center. “Everybody keeps saying something about it. I don’t know what I said that was so bad. I said I wanted to win The Finals. We’re back here now and I wanted to win. If they need to find fuel in that, so be it.”

In the immediate aftermath of Saturday’s Game 6 at Oklahoma City that clinched the Western Conference title, Dunca said the Spurs planned to make the most of their Finals rematch against the Heat.

“We got four more to win,” Duncan said. “We’ll do it this time.”

In the 21st century sound-bite media era, this is what evidently passes for a Molotov cocktail tossed onto the court.

“They don’t like us. They don’t. I can sense it from Timmy’s comments over the last couple of days,” James told reporters in Miami on Monday. “They wanted this, they wanted us and we’ll be ready for the challenge.

“His comments don’t bother me. Once you get on the floor, you’ve got to play. We’re confident. We’re not shying away from them. We want them, too. I don’t think it’s personal.”

Duncan could hardly contain himself from laughing at all of the hubbub.

“I don’t know what he’s talking about,” Duncan said. “But like I said, if he needs to find fuel in something I said, then so be it. I don’t have a problem with them individually or as a team. I respect what they’ve done. But unfortunately for them, we’re here to try to win.”

1. Max says:

Best to Ask Timmy what happen when he laughed at the Official calling the game? Timmy all games ( I hate to tell you) IS NOT played in SAT!!Remember the last game last year in the Finals?????? In the last seconds???RAY ALLEN, YA, snook up and dropped a 3 pntr. with the final clock about to expire. What a Shock to POP High Blood Pressure! And yes, Timmy you just could not believe that happen to the SPURS! The Yellow tape was already spread in front of the Spurs Bench to hold back the crowd!!!Had to pick it up and quickly move the tape down in front of the HEAT. NIGHTMARES for the SPURS!!!!~~~~

2. JM says:

Duncan is a degree holder, Lebron did not even reach college. Easy pick.

3. Edjumacator says:

I need to say this: The dumbest comments on the internet appear on this site. That’s saying something. But “Cuban Imbecile Crisis” is all right, Mike.

4. thespectator says:

lol some of you posting here are flat out ridiculous…dont look too much into this..media is training everyone of us to take something and make it into something thats not even true…timmy was right for what he said, lebron was right for what he said…shut up and let these dudes play and let the their game speak for itself..all miami gotta do is split and win at home..

5. really? says:

yes lebron, you can win.. but this time try doing it without travelling or pushing the opposing big men with your left arm extended just so you can “score easily” in the paint. and oh, less flopping would help too. for the love of the game.. still can’t get over the league with those flopping fines on lance, roy and tiago with the slightest contact and no violations for wade or james on ZERO contact. just saying. again, not big on teams just the love of the sport

6. Eric says:

I believe that what Tim Duncan said was ok. He is supposed to be confident and believe that they will win just as Miami and Lebron should feel the same way. At the end of the day these are two great teams and the Championship will be decided between the lines on the hardwood. Win or lose, I have no problem with Tim Duncan’s comments. May the better team or team that executes the best win the Finals. Go Heat!!!! Bottom line, the media always blows everything out of per portion .

7. KBBC says:

I can’t see where the MEDIA blew Tim’s comments out of proportion… LEBRON did that by saying I can sense they don’t like us by his comments. That was stupid, as everyone could hear that TD’s comments were only competitive but in no way personal or disrespective. Everyone knows that TD and the Spurs are as level-headed as an individual/team can be and last year’s finals were all about playing the game and no antics, trash talk or (excessive) fouling.
    So good comment by “Mike” earlier calling LeBron a Drama Queen for those remarks!

8. Mimi says:

Haha! Cuban Imbecile Crisis!

9. Mike says:

LeBron is a drama Queen. He’ll say anything and put words into other players’ mouths in order to make the finals a Hollywood affair. I’m sure there’s a whole room of writers at his PR agency scribbling down speeches and one-liners for James to regurgitate when the cameras are in his face.

10. Just a pure basketball fans says:

Exactly what I’ve been amused lately,,,why media has to overblown it over proportion,,I know it’s their job to be hyperbole, but need to make it sounds like there’s a fight war it’s ridiculous. I don’t find something wrong with Tim’s statement it’s just a goal, like we normal people always have something for the best, and the fact that James had to reply like that it’s like he’s the one that got a problem. I mean come on man “they don’t like us” what was that ? kindergarten? This is sports, and if your opponent have an EXCITEMENT to challenge you that’s a challenge as any normal sports are,,,and please be remind being sportive. And the things that media not include the statement from Ginobili that he admitted and know for real that Heat is a tough team, and it’s going to be rough road for Spurs. Did media promote that statement? No!

11. Saeed says:

Game 2 will be of utmost importance if you are Miami, especially if you lose game 1. Down 2-0, and Miami is over.

12. Tim duncan says:

Tim Duncan? I love you.

13. Mleh says:

Tim Duncan is the greatest active player

14. Humblestar says:

With 4 or 5 days layoff, the media just has to write about something…
    If a player can’t say “We’ll do it this time”, without the media twisting it into some war cry, then what?
    It should be a great series, end of story.

15. Mini says:

breathe…. inhale . exhale…. watch your heart kid….
    matter of fact , that is Timmy , just said what is needed to be done.. why the violent reaction.. and you talk about maturity.. common , define it first before you use the word, coz you DEFINE it with your non-sense comment..
    Give us games that are enjoyable and fun and may the best team win.. I am a SPURS all the way though…Go Spurs!!!!!

16. rusty says:

LOL Lebron is trolling…….nice Timmy…

17. Cuban -Miami Connection says:

Oh! Yes Timmy …You know What he’s talking about”….You were the first to start the verbal war…be a Man! , separate a little bit from you Daddy Pop and, say : Yes…I did it and I meant it!
    Take away that childish stupid face of yours and admit it…
    You are too Old to win a couple of games and …WE the HEAT already proved it last year

• Mini says:

what?

• mee(a)t says:

shut up you’re making us look bad

• Sandy says:

When verbal war, you grammar-hating imbecile?
      I am honestly baffled by this whole fiasco over Tim’s ‘statement’.
      Should he have said that they are disappointed at making it to the finals, and were hoping to play a different team?
      Everybody needs to calm down and let basketball be basketball.

• Jack says:

What the heck is this for a ridiculous reply. smh

• Nick says:

Who’s “We”? You know what last year means now? Nothing

• expertees says:

dont cry.. heat will be beaten in 4 games

• Mike says:

First of all: YOU aren’t the HEAT – you sound some punk kid. Secondly: Tim Duncan has won over 70 games in the past 9 months, so he isn’t too old to win a couple of games (“couple” means 2 by the way, not 4). Third: he is a man, and quite obviously more of a man than you are. Fourth: He’s not denying what he said, and he did mean what he said, but idiots like you only enjoy the bright lights and pretty colours televised sport instead of focussing on what’s being said.

• Mike says:

I’ve just come up with a new name for you: Cuban Imbecile Crisis.