Bosh doesn’t want to bang

By John Schuhmann, NBA.com

VIDEO: GameTime: Where’s Chris Bosh?

MIAMI – When he’s speaking to the media, Chris Bosh is one of the more honest guys in the league. He follows the Miami Heat party line of not revealing the game plan or lineup changes in the playoffs. But he’s not afraid to reveal his feelings or vulnerabilities.

After shootaround on Saturday, with the Heat preparing for Game 3 of the Eastern Conference finals (8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN), Bosh was particularly forthright in regard to the player he’s become. When asked about the possibility of posting up Luis Scola should he see that matchup, Bosh said that it ain’t gonna happen.

“I don’t bang with anybody anymore,” he said. “It’s a tired thing for me. It’s not my strength and I understand that. So, be smart and play within the team offense, but be aggressive at the same time.”

When asked why he doesn’t post up, he said it’s a matter of energy. Simply, he uses too much on the other end of the floor as the Heat’s primary pick-and-roll defender in their aggressive scheme.

“It gets tiring,” he said. “What they ask us to do, to blitz the screen-and-roll every single one, close out and get back. I was already 20-30 pounds lighter than everybody else, so all that stuff just takes my energy.”

You can understand that. And with the Heat’s primary ball-handlers – LeBron James and Dwyane Wade – looking to attack the basket, Bosh’s shooting can provide the ideal complement, especially when he’s being defended by Roy Hibbert.

But Bosh added that it’s not worth his time going into the post, because that just brings extra attention from the defense.

“And for some odd reason, I always get double-teamed still,” he said. “I don’t understand it. And that’s the reason I really stopped, because every time I go down there, I got double-teams. I was like, ‘For what?’ They won’t double-team LeBron, but they’ll double-team me.”

Whether or not you agree with the idea that James doesn’t get double-teams, it’s strange that Bosh thinks that they’re a bad thing. If the defense is sending a second defender into the post, one of his teammates is open. Essentially, every offense in the league is designed to draw an extra defender to the ball, so that an open shot can be had elsewhere.

Even in Toronto, Bosh was more of a catch-at-the-elbow, face-up player than a low-post guy. But what he said Saturday makes you wonder if he has any desire to be the focal point of a team’s offense again. Like James and Wade, he has an early termination option in his contract, allowing him to become a free agent this summer if he so desires.

Right now, Bosh just needs to make some shots. He has shot 5-for-17 from outside the paint in the series so far, unable to make Hibbert pay for protecting the basket. But he says he’ll remain confident in his jumper.

“Sometimes, if it’s off, it’s off,” he said. “All you can do is go in the gym the next day and keep shooting. The minute you start thinking about it is kind of when things continue to plummet. With that said, I’m looking forward to being aggressive tonight, letting a couple fly, and seeing what happens.”

1. sbraj says:

its tiring? you pay that price to make sure that your team is the best in the nba!

2. Grover says:

The Miami heat are the most dominant team on the court every night. I believe they would be even better if they got rid of Chris bosh. He hardly ever contributes. Sure doesn’t even come close to have ever deserved the same money as d wade and James.

• TMac says:

How long have you been watching Chris Bosh since he has been with the Heat?? He has made some pretty important plays for his team when it mattered the most. He might not be on Wade and Lebron’s level, but he makes a difference in games.

3. rickjames says:

honestly miami heat could care less on what all of you think they should do. they know more than all of you about their own team

4. LemW says:

For the Miami Heat who has been the Best Big the last 4 seasons equal NBA allstar talent!

5. okc2014 says:

Very disappointed in KD, she doesn’t like banging too. Poor Fish Bosh and Karen Durant, make a good couple though, LOL.

6. Phuc says:

actually , Bosh is having problems during his play-offs and until now, and i do agree with Sunny about the player decision. Please bring fresh shooters like M Beasley in stead of Lewis .

7. okc2014 says:

Cause he looks like one. And for the record, I’ve never been a mister. Don’t hurt me! I can hang w/ you guys too! LOL!

8. Sunny says:

To the coach,start to use M Beasley more than Lewis please. And please bring in some fresh shooters in the future.Shane and Jim Jones and Lewis are retirng soon. What about those who play in China leage amd NBDL?I

9. Royotoole says:

To whoever said heat needs to go big with Lebron at guard and R Lewis at SF is crazy. Lewis can’t guard anyone on the pacers, specially not PG or Stephenson. Plus, Lebron is much better when he can use his size on d.
    Oden at center might work though

10. ticky tocky todd says:

Its the same thing Bos. did with KG. KG didn’t post up much for the same reasons, of course KG is a way better defender than Bosh, but same idea.

11. June says:

Is Bosh really being honest, or just telling us something we already know? Bosh has never been a physical presence down in the post, not unlike many players his size who came to the NBA during the Shaq era

12. Ricky says:

What they need to do is play bigger.They need to use bird or Oden at center.Boch the p.f and Lewis at 3.Lebron at guard and Wade to start then switch around with shooters..You need the size at the beginning to get advantage you still have speed.Defense is defense,y you stay in front of your opponent and don`t let them go by you or eat the fake move ,you will be fine.You have a better team,better shooters but don1t use them,even Beasley that have size and is pretty good shooter.You have to give your players confidense use them at the same time you put fresh legs on the others opponent and they will get tired not your team.Move the ball and go for the rebounds every rebound count.Come on guys Team work lets go Heat!

13. Cynthia little says:

I love Bosh, I think he is a good shooter but he is not consistent. I also think he needs to be more aggressive and post up more under the rim. I think that James and Wade are awesome But I believe they throws everybody game off because they are waiting To see what they are goin to do.

14. jdub455 says:

he doesnt want to bang, but he can use his speed against hibbert… they just shld isolate him more to get his rhythm in his jumpers… but he cant do this if he plays the 5… coz if he misses, boxing out is gone… so he cud do dis with either haslem or birdman with him… if he makes his jumpers, hibbert will have to adjust… this is why atlanta was a bad matchup for `em coz millsap and antic were good shooters…

15. okc2014 says:

Fish Bosh has a high basketball IQ. I’m giving him that.