Numbers preview: Spurs-Thunder

By John Schuhmann, NBA.com

VIDEO: GameTime: Western Conference Finals Analysis

HANG TIME NEW JERSEY – Though the Western Conference appeared to be wide open and stacked with nine strong teams, the two that are meeting in the conference finals are the two top seeds and the team that have represented the conference in last two Finals.

The San Antonio Spurs were the league’s best team this season and have home-court advantage. But they’ve lost 10 of their last 12 meetings with the Oklahoma City Thunder, going back to the 2012 conference finals, when OKC rebounded from an 0-2 deficit to win four straight.

It’s the Thunder’s length and athleticism that gives the Spurs fits. But OKC is down one long, athletic starter with Serge Ibaka out with a calf injury.

Here are some statistical nuggets regarding the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds in the West, as well as the four games they played against each other.

Pace = Possessions per 48 minutes
OffRtg = Points scored per 100 possessions
DefRtg = Points allowed per 100 possessions
NetRtg = Point differential per 100 possessions
Stats and rankings are for the playoffs.

San Antonio Spurs (62-20)

Beat Dallas in 7 games.
Beat Portland in 5 games.
Pace: 96.3 (4)
OffRtg: 111.1 (2)
DefRtg: 101.2 (3)
NetRtg: +9.9 (1)

Regular season: Team stats | Player stats | Lineups
vs. Oklahoma City: Team stats | Player stats | Lineups
Playoffs: Team stats | Player stats | Lineups

Playoff notes:

Oklahoma City Thunder (59-23)

Beat Memphis in 7 games.
Beat L.A. Clippers in 6 games.
Pace: 94.6 (6)
OffRtg: 107.9 (6)
DefRtg: 102.8 (5)
NetRtg: +5.2 (3)

Regular season: Team stats | Player stats | Lineups
vs. San Antonio: Team stats | Player stats | Lineups
Playoffs: Team stats | Player stats | Lineups

Playoff notes:

The matchup

Season series: Thunder won 4-0.
Pace: 96.9
SAS OffRtg: 99.1 (17th vs. OKC)
OKC OffRtg: 110.2 (1st vs. SAS)

Matchup notes:

1. Brainundrum says:

I can’t wait until the series ends so I can come back in here and ROFL @ thunder up.

2. Cuyu says:

it will be a tought matchup for both. I would say that it will be a spurs series, and probably the championship too.

3. NBA says:

Ibaka will be missed but the Thunder have a deep bench. San Antonio can’t keep up. OKC in 6.

4. MR210 says:

At full strength, OKC barely won against LAC in 6 (thanks to refs).
    Let’s see if refs bail them out against Spurs.

Spurs in 5!

I just can’t understand why people still picking OKC to beat the Spurs.
    OKC fans are delusional.

KD will have to wait until another year…

5. nba fan says:

schooling time again from SPURS..

6. okcDoke2014 says:

Spurs will get a little rest since East final will go to 7 games

7. Moe says:

Let the game start then we’ll see what OKC do without Ibaka. He is their interior defense. He is the third leading scorer for OKC and their best rebounder. Now we can penetrate eaiser. No one really to alter the shot. We win in 5 or 6.

• thunder up says:

okc will be totally ok w/o Serge Ibaka!In case you haven’t noticed K.D. turns up the heat when missing one of his starting teammates. Furthermore Kendrick Perkins got Tim Duncans # in the paint &Nick Collison/Steven Adams/P.J.III will easily make up for ibaka’s defensive absense. Also don’t forget about Parker nursing bad hamstring. If anybody could make that hamstring worse w/o even tryin it’s Russell Westbrook and the thunder’s high tempo offense! i Say we send these fossils fishing in 6 .

8. Timothy Bladel says:

I think people are underestimating just how good OKC is, and how much they have the Spurs number. The Spurs had their chance last season and they blew it. This one goes to OKC versus Pacers, and KD gets his first title to match his first MVP.

• thunder up says:

Couldn’t agree more T.B. It’s allright though, let all those naysayers talk their talk and get their hopes up they’ll start realizin the truth after game one!

9. None Of The Above says:

Without Ibaka’s contributions particularly on defense The Thunder’s chances of winning the series feel slim.

10. monsecret says:

spurs/miami -face off!

11. okcDoke2014 says:

Thunder needed outside help to win against Memphis and LAC

• thunder up says:

Anybody still talkin about the call in l.a. don’t know anything about basketball! If it was actually called correctly in the first damn place it would have been a foul and STILL our ball with two shots at that since we were in the bonus at the time! None of our coaches or guys offered a mention on that because unlike Doc Rivers we are not crybabies!

12. okc2014 says:

I’m not giving up on my team!! Stop trying to play head games people! OKC in 7. This will be even better than the Flippers vs OKC series!

13. okcDoke2014 says:

OKC is already done

14. bucksfan1992 says:

I think that the lakers will beat the thunder in 6. nick young will obviously own kevin durant.

15. Stephan Tompkins says:

I am still puzzled by the OKC slip up on the Spurs last season. I think POP was even surprise. I am a Spurs fan, but want all the players to play un-injured. The spurs in six. Stephan

16. Stephan Tompkins says:

I am still puzzled by the OKC slip up on the Spurs last season. I think POP was even surprise. I am a Spurs fan, but want all the players to play un-injured.nThe spurs in six. Stephan

17. okcDoke2014 says:

On fire Thunder still lack D and the other D named Depth ! Spurs advance in 5 or 6 games ! Best team ball in OKC was several years ago ??? True, I think so……….

18. raw says:

If Tim Duncan hustle some more, Splitter plays more aggressive and Toni Parker plays above the defensive block, OKC don’t have chance.

19. okc35 says:

okc for the win

20. I don’t care about the regular season results because teams don’t usually give it 100% during that time. Most especially the Spurs who are known for their minutes conservation system. Perfect example: The Nets swept the Heat in the reg season but look what happened? I’d rather look at the Spurs – Okc playoffs history. It’s true that OKC beat the Spurs 4 – 2 in 2012. But remember that the games were VERY CLOSE and the Thunders had James Harden. This time there will be no Harden and no Ibaka too. Further, the Spurs have upgraded by virtue of adding Marco Belinelli plus the much improved play of Kawhi Leonard and Patty Mills. Factoring all that, I see the Spurs dominating this series. Spurs in 5.

21. Ryan says:

Numbers won’t matter now. You can see how crisp the Spurs played against a younger Portland.. I’ll bet Spurs on 6 games…

22. Yes Sir says:

All those numbers mean dada. Spurs in 5. No Ibaka, No interior D, No one to stop Manu, Leonard, Parker from penetrating. No offense from Perkins or Sef. Unless the OKC bench makes an appearance consistently I don’t see OKC going any further

23. jdub455 says:

The injury not only affected the thunders but also the heat… if he was not injured, they have the edge against the Spurs… I think OKC is the one team that can deal with the Spurs effectively… I’m a heat fan so I’d rather that the champs go against okc rather than the spurs cause it is an easier matchup for them due to their style… but now with the current injury, the spurs has the edge in the series and we are most likely to see a rematch of last year’s finals… the spurs are a tough matchup for the heat and is the only team that can beat the champs 4x in 7 games… hope the HEAT get the 3peat though… I know they will. (wazzup with the injury sergE? man! KDs dream will have to wait next season…)