Allen shows he still got game

By Lang Whitaker, NBA.com

VIDEO: Ray Allen sparks Miami to a 2-0 lead over Brooklyn

MIAMI Chris Bosh stepped out of the Miami Heat shower room and stopped short with one glance at the crowd of media assembling in front of one locker. It wasn’t the stall of LeBron James or Dwyane Wade or even Bosh himself, the cogs of Miami’s big three. On this night, after the Miami Heat beat the Brooklyn Nets 94-82 to take a 2-0 lead in the Eastern Conference Semifinals, the player the assembled media couldn’t wait to hear from was… Ray Allen? “

Damn, Ray!” said Bosh, in mock amazement. We can safely assume Bosh was putting on a bit, because Allen’s contributions were obvious. Coming off the bench, Allen logged 28 minutes and scored 13 points, including shooting 3-for-5 on 3-pointers. He also finished with eight rebounds, good enough to lead the Heat in the category, including a crucial offensive rebound to prolong a possession and basically seal the game. Add that to Allen’s 19 points in Game 1, and it’s safe to say Allen has been one of Miami’s biggest performers in the Conference semifinals.

“A veteran guy who has been in these moments — he had a sense for it, a feel for it, what we needed,” said Heat coach Erik Spoelstra. A bit more succinctly, Wade noted: “Ray does what Ray do.” “You have to read situations, and you have to be patient and let the game develop,” Allen explained. “For me, I just move around, and defensively, try to have an impact and create offense from there. On the offensive end I try not to stand. My guy is watching me, he doesn’t want to leave me, so I just keep moving and you get the easy one.”

Allen’s endurance gave him the motor to keep moving throughout the game. But what was it that made Allen so elusive along the baseline and allowed him to grab so many boards throughout the night? “Because I’m elusive,” he joked. “You’re watching LeBron and D-Wade so much when they’re driving to the basket. I had an opportunity to get behind the defense, when I get the offensive rebounds.

“Then defensively, really I’m the low guy under the basket the majority of the time. The way their offense is set up, I’m the guy that’s down there, so I have to make sure that nobody crashes. They got a lot of second-chance opportunities tonight that we have to clean up for next game, but it was my night to get those rebounds.”

While Allen’s terrific shooting touch is well documented — Nets coach Jason Kidd said after that game that Allen should be considered “one of the best shooters of all-time” — it was an offensive rebound with 3:07 left that might have been Allen’s biggest contribution. The Nets had cut Miami’s lead to 87-79, with 3:39 left in the game. The Heat ended up getting the ball to LeBron for an emergency three-pointer as the shot clock was running down.

“Bron, I knew he was going to have to get up a 9-1-1 shot,” Allen recalled. “And everybody was watching him. And you figure, ‘Hey, he’s not gonna make that,’ if you’re on the other team. But I said, ‘Hey, let me get under the basket and try and make something happen.’ A lot of times I run, and I was just fortunate it fell in my hands. If I was taller I would have dunked it back in.”

Allen did not, however, dunk it back in, and instead the Heat re-set for another possession. After two more James misses and two more Heat offensive rebounds (these by Wade and Bosh), James finally got a lay-up after slipping a screen-roll with Wade with 1:09 left to play. All told, the entire possession took 100 seconds, and the Heat went from an eight-point lead with 3:09 left to a 10-point lead with 1:59 to play, leaving the game effectively out of reach for Brooklyn.

“That was a killer,” said Nets guard Joe Johnson. “We couldn’t come up with the rebound. It was almost as if we didn’t have the energy or effort down the stretch. I thought we fought so hard to stay within reach, to stay within the game. Those last few possessions killed us.”

Looking forward to Games 3 and 4 in Brooklyn, Allen pointed to getting off to faster starts and better finishes in each quarter as keys for the Heat. Although it’s probably worth noting that in franchise history, the Heat have held a 2-0 playoff series lead a dozen different times. They have gone on to win all twelve of those series.

The Heat’s deep bench has been terrific for them throughout the postseason, getting big performances from different players on an almost night-by-night basis. But through two games against Brooklyn, the 38-year-old Ray Allen has shown that he still got game.

“Ray’s amazing,” said Bosh. “He’s awesome. I want to be like him when I grow up.”

1. I despise the Heat its a team with no morals, buying the players so they can stack the deck and win NBA tittles not wanting to do it the old fashion way build your team and use blue collar ethics, and the talk of their coach being good, come on! with the talent that he has on that bench any coach would shine, but im willing to bet anything send him to Denver, Philly, the Timberwolves and let his coaching skills shine their if he’s so good, he’s nothing but a puppet coach and he was at the right place and the right time to get that job.

v/r

Greg

• Nate says:

You despise a team with players that took pay cuts to make their team better? Buy plays does not make the best team and there have been plenty of examples in the past to back that up. Look at what Howard did in LA, it takes the right chemistry, players with the proper mentality and a good coach to win a championship.

Building a team in the NBA today is almost impossible. Players are mostly selfish, are happy with their currently skill level, and throw in the towel as soon as things don’t go their way. If you want a team or player to hate and is all about the money look at Kobe.. and I’m not even a huge heat fan.

2. Ray Allen’s One of Many Legendary Players Knocking Down 3 Pointers at the age of 38 (Turning 39 On July 20th)

Congrats Mr.Jesus Shuttlesworths :)

3. okc2014 says:

Ray Allen’s chewing gum also has endurance. Same stick; never loses it flavor for 48 minutes.

4. Kome the Black Dumba says:

Remember all those salty Boston fans and KG said Jesus betrayed them?(right, like boston didn’t use Ray as trade bait and bench him behind Avery Bradley)

KG still a bum after 2 years and eventually leave boston as well and Ray still got game!

Love how it all works out.

5. MR210 says:

They’ll lose to the Spurs in the Finals.

When they lose, it will be the end of the ‘Big Three’ era…
    I see Duncan riding off into the sunset – essentially breaking up Spurs Big Three…and I see Miami’s Big Three breaking up after a devastating Finals failure.

No more Big Three’s in the league next year…

6. Mameee says:

I,m actually loving this. Pls Heat give me a good Mother’s Day present by beating bkln. Olalala

7. ism says:

Bosh is clearly the right center for Miami’s scheme, as others have pointed out, here. With a more traditional big man, the Heat couldn’t play the way they play. And it works, as long as their offense is effective enough to neutralize their rebounding deficiency.

Teams like Indiana may still have a chance of exposing the Heat’s few weaknesses, but when the Heat are in a good rhythm, no team in the East can beat them. I am still waiting for Oden’s first show in the playoffs, but the Heat’s supporting cast is not bad even without him: Birdman, Allen, Rio, Chalmers, Battier… good mixture of solid role players, chemistry guys and elite 6th men.

In the Brooklyn matchup, the Heat always look a lot more effortless than the Nets, even when the Nets have good runs the Heat still don’t trail for much, it’s just too easy for them to score right now, whereas they also cause a lot of turnovers for the opponent. I am really looking forward to another Heat – Spurs Finals. If both of these teams are healthy and in a good rhythm, they are the best two teams, hands down.

8. cp10 says:

The Celtics big three reunion

9. Iwinzagain says:

I don’t know if I should reveal the brilliance of Spoelstra’s stretch 5 scheme but, the reason Bosh fits this system perfectly is because he draws the big man out of the paint. It’s harder for teams who play Miami to get defensive rebounds when they have to chase Bosh who can shoot 3′s if left open. Bosh definitely serves his purpose in the Heat. Let’s not forget his game 6 REBOUND that Bosh was able to get to Ray Allen for the tie. Then we won a championship. So hating. If you’re a fan you enjoy how our vulnerabilities are our strengths.

10. theholyspectator says:

all miami needs to do now is steal 1 in brooklyn and wrap it up back home and get some more rest while they wait for the wiz and pacers…i expect bk to really come out swinging in game 3

11. patrickmarc says:

Jason Kidd made a mistake, Mirza T should play 40 minutes, he is young and super good.

12. Masa says:

Everyone’s looking from Bron and then rise Ray – Brilliant!!
    This has neverending opportunities …. so sad the 80% of them will be free agent in the end of the season

13. Gillsy says:

I want to see if Ray can get his 3000 3 pointers before the season is out. I think he only has around 24 left. There is a reason why James wanted Allen to come to Miami he is Money when the big plays need to be made.

14. red red says:

Good job ray. I think bish is over rated as a center he is hardly ever in side the paint. All heats little guys get the boards. I think anderson should start as there center he always under neath trying to get rebounds like a center is supposed to do

• AD says:

It’s like saying that Hibbert is overrated as a PG. Bosh has never been a true center; he’s a stretch-4, though.

• Kunjaymaster says:

I like bosh, as long as you don’t count on him to defend centers i mean he struggled vs 37 years old Tim Duncan in the Finals. I want him to stay but there’s no way he’s worth a max contract same with Wade. Only Lebron deserves a max contract, Wade and Bosh if they want to stay they need to take less and allow Pat to sign another guy. Imagine a K Love who can hit threes and also is a rebounding machine. Wade, Lebron, K Love, Bosh and Chalmers. Dreaming…..

15. red red says:

They need to start birdman he is a better center than bosh. Bosh is never under the basket for a offence or defence rebound. If he’s going to play a big man spot he needs to get at keast 12 boards a game.

16. LRF says:

Heat in 4 or 5.

17. Sunny says:

By the way,next year, Shane gonna be retired, so ,can you bring back Mike Miller? Even try to find some new talent point guard or shooting guard too ,how about Mike Scott from Atlanta?

• 4xPlusMvpsPlusRings+Final Mvps says:

That has been part of my resolutions for this summer.

• AD says:

Miami’s PGs are nothing if not solid. Plus, they’re young and play with energy. What else do you need? Dragic? How about CP3? Or maybe 20 y.o. Magic Johnson?

18. Sunny says:

Way to go Ray! I had told my son 2 years in a row,and I am ready for 3 .Hope Shane and Lewis get more shooting too.Anderson , man you and Bosh got to get better too.