Blogtable: On-court style police

Each week, we’ll ask our stable of scribes across the globe to weigh in on the three most important NBA topics of the day — and then give you a chance to step on the scale, too, in the comments below.

BLOGTABLE: Indy’s roster tweaks | Style police | Most dynamic duo

VIDEO: The GameTime crew weighs in on the topic of ads on game jerseys

> Sleeves, leg warmers, ads on game jerseys … what are your thoughts on the state of the NBA’s on-court style?

Steve Aschburner, NBA.comSome of these players have on more armor and apparel than NFL or NHL players. And regarding the marketability of sleeves, I don’t see what the problem is with fans wearing T-shirts under their replica tank-top jerseys. But swooshes and other logos embroidered on the shirts as a source of revenue? No one is stepping in front of that gravy train. As for sheer style, I’m hoping the league goes back to belted shorts, just so I can throw around the adjective “Mikanesque.”

Fran Blinebury, NBA.com: After trashy cheerleaders, silly mascots, every timeout sponsored by somebody, blaring music that won’t allow you to think, playoff games that tip off at 10:40 PM Eastern and TV timeouts that drag on longer than the gestation period of an elephant, NOW you want to ask about the purity of the game?  Where it’s headed is to whatever brings in the highest dollar amount.  Maybe next year Chick-Fil-A can sponsor the Heat uniforms and LeBron could see how he likes shooting while wearing a cow costume.

Jeff Caplan, NBA.com: Don’t like the sleeves, don’t really care about the tights (although didn’t the NBA outlaw these once before?) and HATE ads on jerseys. They are only as “inevitable” as new commissioner Adam Silver wants them to be. Sure, ads on jerseys will produce new revenue, but I thought NBA franchises were doing just great? Just because European soccer splashes logos on their game jerseys doesn’t mean we might as well do it over here. It cheapens the uniform and, simply, it looks tacky. The revenue generated from ads on jerseys will not be immense and therefore the ads are unnecessary, as inevitable as they may be. Maybe owners should work harder to put forth a better product, work harder to sell sponsorships and work harder to market their product. Jersey ads are simply a lazy way to create new revenue.

Harrison Barnes in a short-sleeved jersey (Rocky Widner/NBAE)

Harrison Barnes in a short-sleeved jersey
(Rocky Widner/NBAE)

Scott Howard-Cooper, NBA.com: You would have to search a long time for someone who cares less than I do. Maybe it’s better to say I care since style is important, but this issue is somewhere in triple digits on the list of priorities. As long as the long sleeves don’t affect play. As for the ads on uniforms, that has been coming for years and teams in other sports around the world have already tapped into the revenue stream. Someone should grab Chico’s Bail Bonds as a sponsor for the back of jerseys before it’s too late.

John Schuhmann, NBA.com: It doesn’t matter to me much. I don’t mind the sleeved jerseys, but can understand why players would. I like that all of a team’s accessories (headbands, arm sleeves, etc.) need to be the same color and wonder why they started allowing guys to wear different colored shoes.

Sekou Smith, NBA.com: I don’t have to work in a uniform, so I cannot sympathize with LeBron James or others who are worried about sleeves and other style details that have absolutely nothing to do with one’s ability to complete whatever their daily tasks are on the job. If we’re headed for a world of sponsorship logos on jerseys, so be it. NBA players wouldn’t be the first group of professional athletes to operate with that as a part of their mandated attire. In the grand scheme of things, uniform details seem like a rather inconsequential element of the entire process. No offense to the uniform makers, but as long as they look good and everybody’s uniforms match … this from someone who played on a team as a kid where our uniforms consisted of white t-shirts with numbers that had to be ironed on by our parents and whatever pair of shorts you could muster.

Lang Whitaker, NBA.com All Ball blog: I am probably the wrong person to ask about this. I’m one of those people who loves it when the players want to be as accessorized as possible, who enjoys sleeved jerseys and is an enthusiastic supporter of teams rocking nicknames instead of surnames. I appreciate very much that the NBA has for the most part not legislated individuality out of the game the way the NFL has the last few years. I know ads on jerseys are a hot-button issue among fans, but I feel like that’s an inevitability going forward. I own my share of soccer jerseys with ads on them, and the ads don’t take away from my enjoyment of the sport.

Simon Legg, NBA Australia: The sleeves don’t concern me too much. I like them as an extra jersey for teams and understand the commercial reasons. I must admit that I’m slightly concerned about the advertising on game jerseys because one of the things I love about the NBA compared to other professional leagues is that they’ve shied away from this is in the past. Clearly it was trialed during the All-Star Weekend and didn’t really cause too much of an issue, though, and I don’t think NBA fans are too concerned. Adam Silver is  a smart guy, so I’m sure he’ll be able to manage the ads in a classy way and make sure they don’t dominate the jersey but I do hope this doesn’t come in for a little while yet.

Stefanos Triantafyllos, NBA Greece: That’s the way fashion rolls. In cycles. Wearing accessories isn’t something new. It was something Allen Iverson and his generation brought to the table (and the hardwood). I am not against it. I like watching players with different stylistic choices. Sometimes it becomes part of their character (LeBron’s headband for example). And you know what? Basketball is a game of confidence, so let the player feel as confident as they can possibly can. If it that means that they want to wear their lucky sleeve on their shooting arm, so be it. But I believe that we are still far away from having any real idea about where this is going.

1. Wayne says:

Players wearing sleeved Jerseys make the league look like a summer league. In ads on these jerseys would just make it worse. Look at the WNBA, watching a team but there’s no team name on the jersey it’s like Commerce bank playing Boulevard hospital… No team names on the jerseys… Whack

2. Faba says:

@okc 2o14: no people who wears sleeved jersey with KiA or StateFarm adds on it will look silly…

3. okc2014 says:

This topic is silly.

4. Faba says:

Dont you see it ? Its all planed first they make you accept sleeved jerseys (most people already do) then they say adds on jerseys are inevitable. So now they have gained even more space on the jerseys to put the adds on. On the othe rside every jersey you buy now will have a certain value in twenty years because its without adds.

• Arkh says:

Fully agree with your statement. Whenever men in charge lack good arguments to back-up a decision that would make the game/life worse, they use the “There is no alternative ! It has to happen.” bs.

That applies to many other things than the NBA sadly…

5. hhh says:

I really dont understand whats the problems with ads on jerseys, Popular franchises would make houndreds of millions on just jersey deals with a big sponsor.

Look at the big soccer clubs in europe. Barcelona they didnt start with jersey sponsors until a few years back, but they were pretty much forced to because the money is so good,

6. hamir says:

why don’t they just put the ads on warmups? Also, sleeved jerseys look plain weird on basketball players.

7. Jon says:

please please do not put adds onto logos!! listen to your fans and please dont’ put adds

8. HotSauce says:

If you put Ads on jerseys I personally will never buy another jersey again I refuse to be a walking billboard for some company, sleeved jerseys are fine to bring out on special occasions but i think the look we have now is great

9. shane Dcruz says:

No one is actually talking about how it will affect the companies again , big time companies will not go after the small market teams andhence a big brand like pepsi or suway will end up vying for the lakers and new york while smaller market teams will end up with no heard of companies and plus it will be bad publicity for the said sponsor company if the team they are sponsoring is doing badly eg:take the current philly team how good would gatorade look if it were on their jerseys hahaha :D anyways i like the idea tho

10. marlon green says:

The sleeved jerseys are horrible and ugly. And the thought of them putting ads on game jerseys are even worse. I dare to league to start putting those hideous ads on the jerseys and I guarantee you that they will see a drop in sales in the jersey department. I know the game is global now but they are getting out of hand! First you fill the league up with weak 7 footers who cant rebound or defend the paint. And I’m not even going to bring up a post game and now your talking ads on jerseys! I’m sorry but I thought this was the NBA and not the Euro league. I have no beef with the Euro league. I want whatever is left of the league to remain the same as much as possible.

11. mee(a)t says:

I don’t mind the sleeved jerseys but ads…come on now…i feel like whenever Blake Griffin finishes off a dunk he’s gonna look into the camera and say “Brought to you by Subway, Eat Fresh! :D”

12. vince carter forever says:

Sleeved jerseys are bruuuuuuutal!!!! What’s wrong with sticking with a basketball jersey?

Ads on jerseys, too? I could watch EuroLeague for that.

I prefer the NBA.

13. mobb says:

I dont like ads on jerseys. Im from europe and over here football soccer basketball everybody wears ads on jerseys but i dont like it
    i like my collection of NBA jerseys without ads
    i want to remember the team and the player not the year when they were wearing samsung chrysler mcdonalds logo etc just dont like it

i dont mind the sleeved jerseys and I dont believe they make it harder to play! Players have sleeved jerseys or t-shirts almost every practice! even at high school , college they played wearing some kind of mixed tshirt-jersey style

they are professionals and if the jerseys stay sleeved during 15 – 20 games per season thats ok! just dont make it full season long :)

14. Jesse A.S says:

I can live with the sleeves but I don’t like them. When it comes to the ads on jerseys that is another story, horrible idea, terrible, $hit, awful. I live in Australia were our sports jerseys are plastered with advertising and it is horrible, the reason I buy US sports jerseys is because they look clean, nice and represent the team. Adding advertising will ruin them, wait till you buy a jersey with a company logo that goes broke and in 10 years time you are wearing a now defunc company on your shirt. If they do bring advertising to the NBA jersey, i’ll be buying as many old school (advertising free) ones I can and never purchasing another one again. Oh and by the way, don’t believe it will be just one logo here or another logo there, it will end up being the entire uniform and the smallest logo will be the team name. I’ve been there and i’ve seen it. No thank you, I don’t spend my hard earned cash to be a walking advertisement on the street for some two bit company.

• chalice says:

Agree with your points about a bankrupt company but I will take it one step further. Remember in 2009-2010 when the banks all got bailouts from the government? I saw someone wearing a Manchester United jersey and on the front was AIG in big bold letters. I was so mad I couldn’t decked the guy if he was on my side of the street. With the sleeved jerseys, I think it dont make a lick of sense. Hardcore bball fans will want the sleveless jerseys and the fairweather fans couldn’t care less. By forcing sleeves on players, you are disrupting your hardcore fan base and not making any gains with the fairweather fans. Why even do it?

15. Oakley34BLAM says:

just gonna go ahead and quote Jeff Caplan’s entire post (it is THAT good):
    “Don’t like the sleeves, don’t really care about the tights (although didn’t the NBA outlaw these once before?) and HATE ads on jerseys. They are only as “inevitable” as new commissioner Adam Silver wants them to be. Sure, ads on jerseys will produce new revenue, but I thought NBA franchises were doing just great? Just because European soccer splashes logos on their game jerseys doesn’t mean we might as well do it over here. It cheapens the uniform and, simply, it looks tacky. The revenue generated from ads on jerseys will not be immense and therefore the ads are unnecessary, as inevitable as they may be. Maybe owners should work harder to put forth a better product, work harder to sell sponsorships and work harder to market their product. Jersey ads are simply a lazy way to create new revenue.”

16. Grant Young says:

Not a big fan of sleeved jersey’s and nobody is gonna want a subway logo on their brand new jersey. I’m sure franchises could live without the added revenue.

17. Russell Eastbrook says:

Sleeved jerseys are not bad. Ads on the jersey however is a bad idea. Very tacky