Blogtable: Remembering Steve Nash

Each week, we’ll ask our stable of scribes across the globe to weigh in on the three most important NBA topics of the day — and then give you a chance to step on the scale, too, in the comments below.

Deciding factor, KD vs. LBJ | Next step after preps | Remembering Nash

VIDEO: Nash on his career and overcoming injuries

Mike D’Antoni says Steve Nash may be done for the season. He may be done for his career. If so, how will you remember him?

Steve Aschburner, NBA.com: My personal memory of Nash is my first glimpse of him, sitting in the Minnesota Timberwolves’ locker room in the spring of 1996 after a draft workout for the team. He looked impossibly young and innocent, all smiles, and he happened to be wasting his time: The Wolves were going to figure out some way to land Stephon Marbury in that draft, either by selection or trade, to team with buddy-at-that-time Kevin Garnett. Never, ever imagined that kid would become a two-time MVP and, as the premier point guard of his generation, a certain Hall of Famer.

Fran Blinebury, NBA.comGreat ball handler, creative passer and sparkplug to those fun to watch run-and-gun Suns teams. But in no sane world should he ever have been a two-time MVP, especially when Shaquille O’Neal and Kobe Bryant have only one apiece.

Steve Nash, June 1996 (Andy Hayt/NBAE)

Steve Nash, June 1996 (Andy Hayt/NBAE)

Jeff Caplan, NBA.com: I’ll remember Steve Nash in a Suns uniform with his stringy hair bouncing up and down as he dribbles, dribbles, dribbles from the top of the key to the baseline, under the basket, through the trees, out the other side and back into the paint for a fallaway 8-foot floater that tickles the twine.

Scott Howard-Cooper, NBA.com: As a guy with bad hearing. He didn’t listen when most every college in the United States said he wasn’t good enough to deserve a scholarship. He didn’t listen when NBA people said he was too slow to make it big as a point guard in the pros. He didn’t listen when Mark Cuban said Nash wouldn’t hold up long enough to earn the kind of contract other teams were willing to offer — before Nash won MVPs in Phoenix. Nash has been a brilliant point guard and one of the best parts of the league for a generation, all while exceeding expectations.

John Schuhmann, NBA.com: I’ll remember Nash as a brilliant pick-and-roll point guard, who made creative passes with incredible vision. I’ll remember him as the floor general of the league’s most efficient offense for nine straight seasons (with two different franchises). And I’ll remember him as a funny and thoughtful interview. I hope he’s not done.

Sekou Smith, NBA.com: If Nash is done for the season, that’s fine. I’ve said for weeks now that he and Kobe Bryant should spend the rest of this season in designer duds on that Lakers bench and plot their revenge, as Kobe mentioned on radio recently, for the 2014-15 season. I’m conflicted on Nash’s career. He was a breath of fresh air when he transitioned from an All-Star point guard in Dallas to an All-Star in Phoenix and helped turn the Suns into one of the most entertaining teams of his generation. A great player? No doubt. An all-time great player? Yup. But a back-to-back MVP during the primes of Kobe, Tim Duncan and Shaq? I’ve never been able to reconcile that one (let’s just say I didn’t vote Nash No. 1 on my ballot in either of those seasons). Nash did his thing. He was fantastic. but he didn’t vote for himself. The blame should be shouldered by some of the other guys commenting here and the scores of other media types who voted and got caught up in the Suns’ narrative, which was no doubt a compelling one. Either way, Nash will be remembered as one of the greats of his era and all time. He’s earned that distinction.

Lang Whitaker, NBA.com All Ball blog: Early in Nash’s career, I went to Toronto one summer to write a profile of Nash for SLAM magazine. I spent a day with Nash walking all around Toronto, from visits at Much Music to a speech to the kids at Jane & Finch. At the time, Nash was a burgeoning All-Star, and he wasn’t recognized that often. A few years later, Nash had become one of the most famous people on the planet. You can debate whether his MVPs were deserved, but the truth is Steve Nash is a two-time MVP who had a huge impact on the game of basketball, both in the NBA and internationally. And maybe that’s good enough.

Davide Chinellato, NBA Italia: I still believe Nash’s career isn’t over. Call me a dreamer, but I think a fighter like him can’t accept going down like that. He’s a first-ballot Hall of Famer, the best PG of the 2000s and one of the best PGs ever. He deserves a ring. So I still expect to see him with a Laker uniform next season. He probably won’t win the title he deserves, but I’m sure he’ll give it another shot.

Akshay Manwani, NBA India: Whatever memories I have of Nash, it will be in his Phoenix Suns jersey. Really, as the executor of Mike D’Antoni’s’ ‘Seven Seconds or Less’ he played quite a few memorable seasons with the Suns, which earned him MVP honors and in 2005 and ’06. But above all, it was the bloodied nose, the swollen eye, the leave-it-all-out-on-the-floor attitude for which Nash will endure in my mind.

Emeka Enyadike, NBA Africa: Steve Nash is the epitome of greatness, and what a career he’s had. How I would like to remember him: I think of him every time I see the movie “White Men Can’t Jump.” Steve went into the court like someone going into his neighborhood courts for a pick-up game. He was always relaxed. 2005 was the year I’ll never forget because of how he helped to change the fortunes of the Suns. We also love Steve even more here in Africa because he was born here in Johannesburg. Despite his British and Canadian citizenships, he was our gift to the game.

Selcuk Aytekin, NBA Turkiye: Steve Nash is one of the greatest playmakers and one of the best shooters in league history. His ability and playing style are purely unique. He is only missing a championship ring, but over the course of his time in the NBA, he’s put up 17,361 career points and 10,296 assists. Numbers don’t lie, and they tell the story of a living legend.

1. JM says:

Fran, I think Nash deserves his two trophies. Those years when he was MVP, Shaq was paired w/ D-Wade and the Lakers were just a mere shell of the three-peat team of the early 2000’s where Kobe was basically ball-hogging. He made Phoenix overachieve in 2005 and 2006.

2. JM says:

Aside from Jason Kidd, this guy is one of my top two favorite PGs. He is the little guy who can do big things. It’s a shame he’s never won a ring.

3. squala96 says:

He once said this season how happy he was to be able to finally move without restriction, but guess what, after a couple of games, he’s sidelined again.

Nash is a great guy with a legacy to remember once he finally retires. But there isn’t really much left in him, if any. Sorry, but he’s been a liability since being hired by the Lakers. If he were 25-30, then hell yeah, but father time has taken over and it’s really time to look at life outside the court. It’s been suggested that he can be a coach, and I don’t disagree. He is known to give good advice to his teammates, and can certainly help in improving FT%. He may not have won a championship as a player, but he certainly has a chance to do so as a mentor, which is just as rewarding.

4. Chris says:

I really hope we will see him play another (healthy) season! Maybe he won’t win a championship, but just to be able to retire on his own terms would be great for him!
    And I’m looking forward to Dirk introducing him into the HOF!!!

5. dpmac says:

dallas had a better record the year after nash left than the prior year with him

6. Goodgary says:

I know that Nash made a fool out of Mark Cuban. That alone shows me the Greatness of this unselfish unique talent admired by all. Steve Nash helped make the NBA as popular as it is today..

7. sports fan says:

Fran & Sekou talk as if Nash didn’t deserve to get his 2 MVPs while some other players were in their prime. Well, I think Nash was in his prime when he won those 2 MVPs & those other players could’ve won more MVPs the years that Nash didn’t win his. There’s a couple very good reasons why Nash deserved them – not one but a number of people voted Nash to win and MVP means most valuable player, not best player.

8. Andrew says:

He still got 1 more season in his fuel tank. What are these people talking about? He is a fighter alongside Kobe. Shame on the publisher of this article along with the blogger.

9. get OUT! says:

Defense? Even though Nash got shot on all day. He tries to play defense. He puts a hand up. Just too bad he keeps getting shot on. Nowadays everyone is saying Hibbert is a great defender. Yeah right. He don’t play defense. He barely moves, all he does is put his hands up real high. That is not great defense, he is lucky he is tall or he would not have a job. Period.

10. get OUT! says:

Fran GET OUT. Please, Shaq and Kobe were great but never a team player. Especially not Kobe. Kobe is valuable only to HIMSELF. When the hell did Kobe make anyone better? Shaq maybe because he was a big distraction in the paint and at least he shot a high percentage. How are you going to give it to Kobe. when his teams during those Nash MVP years barely made the playoff.

11. Curt says:

I think john wall should be Kia MVP

12. TheRealSteveNash says:

lol

13. paul says:

Top Five point guard All-TIme, From 2004-2007 Steve Nash was AMAZING, 2 MVPS = Hall of Fame

14. Bo says:

Very good teammate. Makes all around him better. Just wished he accepted Heat’s offer to join them. He could have had the championship ring that’s missing on his resume. Could’ve, should’ve, would’ve. Sigh.

15. phamie says:

Captain Canada, for me he was the best PG to ever play the game, he’s the best and very interesting to watch. I hope he’ll back next season for the last shot for the ring he deserves. I think he deserves the ring more than any one. A TWO TIME NBA MVP is not a joke. He will be my all time fav player, till forever I Guess.

16. Najeero says:

I just wish he was a betta defender, but with a screwed up system like D’Antoni’s, no one could be. I wished he played for a betta coach that coulda taught him to be a good at it to make him a more complete player.

17. Najeero says:

First ballott HOF

18. JP16 says:

Consistent, methodical and skilled. An awful defender. Seems like a friendly guy.

He also looks like a forty year old child.

19. standard says:

Nash in dallas nash in suns
    drible, drible, 3!! in your face
    it was amazing in his prime

20. TTKIN says:

Couldnt agree with Fran more.

21. Matt says:

To me he is one of the most unique talents to ever grace the NBA. He dominated the game with fundamentals laced with flash. He saw the game differently than other stars, and even to the casual NBA fan, it was apparent that he was playing a different game than everyone else on the floor.

22. Captain Canada says:

Giving us white boys hope winning a MVP in this era. jk but growing up Steve Nash is my idol!

23. bob says:

He went to a Suns team that had gone 29-53 and they went 62-20 that season, that sounds like an mvp

24. darkstylus says:

Mans a legend in the game and an awesome guy.

I sure hope he’s not done, it will be such a shame he don’t get a ring (don’t see it alas!). Like the Answer who stirred some memories recently, that just don’t seem right!

25. Patty says:

STEVE NASH WAS GOOD IN HIS DAY. STEVE NASH SHOULD RETIRE EFFECTIVELY MARCH 5, 2014.

26. mike says:

well.. MVP mean “most valuable player” not the best player…

27. eastbrook russell says:

I’ll remember Steve Nash as the guy who got me into the NBA. Also to Fran Blinebury: You are right about Kobe, he should have no MVPs. Everyone who remembers the year he won the MVP in detail knows that CP3 played at another level that year, actually making every single one of his teammates look like great offensive ballers. For Nash’s two MVPs and Kobe’s worth: the first one of those years the lakers had a 34-48 record while kobe ”great teammate” bryant was begging around for a trade. The year after they had a 45-37 record, and well, who has ever gotten MVP with such team performance? Back to the point, thank you for everything Steve-come back strong for one last year

28. MoPete says:

A case could be made that he deserved a third MVP, with stats better than either of those two years he won it a year or two after.

• The pistol says:

Thank you, was going to post this myself, he lost a close third straight MVP to dirk that year but should of had a 3 peat numbers were just as good/better in some categories… Voters just didn’t want him to be in elite company with a 3rd straight MVP!

29. buddy says:

To Flan Blinebury, you don’t just win 2 MVPs out of luck or chance. Sure he wasn’t as athletic and big as other NBA players. But he controlled the game like no one else did, and he was the most valuable player to have on the floor for those two seasons.

30. freal says:

Nash will be remembered as the ultimate team player, the ultimate leader and captain…

• Rangers says:

If he’s such a great team player, then why does he have 0 rings?

You people literally make no sense. If kobe is not a team player the. Why does he have 5 rings? That defines a team player