The Real Story Of Caron Butler

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – When you hear NBA players talk overcoming adversity to reach the highest level of their profession, you have to know that there are different types of adversity.

Some challenges are greater than others. Some obstacles are much larger than others. And then there is the unbelievable saga that is the life and times of Caron Butler, one of the league’s most respected veteran players. Butler almost threw away his opportunity to reach this level as a youngster growing up in Racine, Wisconsin.

A drug dealer at the age of 11, Butler had been arrested 15 times before his 15th birthday. He didn’t discover his love for the game until he was forced to embrace it while serving time in a detention center. He turned his life around, of course, becoming a the Big East Player of the Year at Connecticut, a lottery pick in the 2002 Draft, a two-time All-Star and NBA champion with the Dallas Mavericks in 2011. His story has come full circle with him now wearing the uniform of his (near)hometown team.

However, his humble beginnings and how fortunate he was to overcome them remain the most compelling part of the truly unbelievable real story of Caron Butler (courtesy of Fox Sports Live) …

VIDEO: The real story of Caron Butler of the Milwaukee Bucks

1. baller2189 says:

Great story but that officer seemed a little selfish when he was talking about how Caron wouldn’t be in the nba if it wasn’t for him

2. Caron was great at uCONN and here in CT. we know his story. He was so lucky to have Calhoun on his side but caron had to work reallyuhard to get where he is. Good for him

3. Guest says:

Truly a great and inspirational story. Now in late stages of his career, he’s a role model for his teammates. Henson, giannis, and middleton should be great players for years to come

4. Joshua says:

As a resident of Racine, where Caron is from I can tell you he does so much for the city here and for the kids it really is great. I’ve met him before and he’s just a real great person.

5. Tak says:

This is a great story and all but the police officer is given too much credit for Caron’s success. Yes, he did make the right decision by not sending him to jail but it was up to Caron after that. The statement, “I’m the officer that made it possible for you and your family to be ok,” is taking it a little too far. You are the officer that didn’t send Caron to jail, that’s it. All of the hard work for him to get to the NBA, become a star in it and take care of his family was all up to him. Great story but I’ll give the credit to God and not the police officer.

6. Paul says:

I’ve heard of Caron’s story a few times throughout his NBA career. It’s compelling to hear how people like Caron come from struggling backgrounds and be forced to do the wrong things in order to survive the poverty and low income circumstance. Going to jail for a year was what it took to get him to change his landscape of thinking and help reshape his life for the better. I salute Caron for his courage to facing his adversities and believing in fighting for his second chance for a better life.

7. Jason says:

Always knew there was something special about Caron beyond basketball, and now I know why.
    Big up Caron. Nuff respect.

8. John says:

I generally don’t write comments but this time I could not stop my self. Grate story for youngsters. We need more police officers and butlers like that in our community.

9. zulu says:

All the cliché comments you hear people espouse, ” a mind is a terrible thing to waste”, there are no spare humans” on and on. But for the heart felt gut decision of one police officer. The power of not always pre-judging a youngster allowed this youngman (Caron) to BE ALL HE COULD BE. AWESOME. Thank you Fox Sports & Hang Time for giving us this uplifting view of a solid human being who plays basketball at its highest level.

10. dre says:

very good story that can be use to inspire our children. Caron is very lucky the officer had such a good heart, need more police officer like this in America

11. Knowz says:

I am now a Caron die hard fan! Truely inspirational

12. KDfan says:

Truly inspirational. He is a genuine role model for young kids. He used his Blessings in a right way. Wish there would be a ton of Caron Butlers.

13. Chucky says:

I agree with Ian they should make a movie of this story. I’ve always like Caron and what’s even good about this story that didn’t mention is that Caron is a NBA Champion with my team the Dallas Mavericks!

14. TL says:

You are the best Caron!

15. Martha Jones says:

Great player always enjoyed his game even when he out scored us (Memphis Grizzlies) with a cast on his hand, smh.Wish we could afford him

16. P. McGowan says:

People ask where are the miracles? I say…Caron Butler. He is a living example of the truth: It is always darkest before the dawn…but joy comes in the morning!!!

17. jfxfan says:

He was drafted in 2002… but anyways a very touching and inspirational video! All the best Caron!

18. Hoops fan says:

Whats that wet stuff in my eyes? I just came to see a routine video clip.
    Thanks to that policeman who keeps USA a place where good people can live in.

19. Ian says:

This should be in the MOVIES! Very inspiring!

20. Kome the Black Dumba says:

Tough juice! Good that the Buck as have you back home! Really appreciated how you give back to the next generation.

21. Brendan says:

go caron I truly wish you the best hope things are working well for you in Milwaukee but you know the clippers will be waiting for you to come back to earn your second ring soon. clippers are clippers for life we love you and good luck caron.

22. M says:

Caron,

Followed you since before the Lakers. Thanks for sharing. and a shout out to that honest, honest police officer !

23. aarib syed says:

most inperational video ive ever sen for nba player

24. Patty says:

Caron Butler, Blessings to You!!!

25. yotu says:

God bless you Caron.

26. School Resource Officer Joe Kirkpatrick says:

I will be showin this video to kids I deal with to show them even though they make a mistake they can still be successful in life. God bless you Caron for sharing your story.

27. LordP says:

What a story!!!i respect him even more..it would be a good move if Miami get him back..Toney Douglas is not going to be a factor in Miami,we already have Norris cole who is a better player(offense&defense).
    Stephen Jackson is also a good pick!!

28. Oakley34BLAM says:

Damn I haven’t shed a tear since watching the remake of ‘True Grit’ a few years back. That is, until now… Great story. Come to think of it, Caron showed True Grit as well.