After Break, Reality Bites For Carmelo

VIDEO: Carmelo sets a record with eight 3s in the All-Star Game

NEW ORLEANS – The 3-pointers rained down, one after the other — eight in 13 tries — more makes than anyone in All-Star history as part of scoring 30 points in 30 minutes. Everything was going right for Carmelo Anthony.

And then he woke up.

Sunday was a blast, a 163-155 win for his Eastern Conference team inside Smoothie King Center. And Sunday was record-setting affirmation for a player shooting 41.6 percent behind the arc after shooting in the 20-percent range earlier in his career. But it was a rest stop more than anything, practically with the motor running. One long weekend, one game as a tease of a reminder that basketball actually can be fun, contrary to evidence all around him in recent months. But now, smack, Anthony is a Knick again.

His reality: The future employment of coach Mike Woodson is the stuff of constant speculation, and guesstimates over his next move as a free agent-in-waiting has not yet peaked, and New York is on pace to miss the playoffs.

New Orleans was a standing-eight count.

“It was a great feeling,” he said in response to a question from a Knicks beat writer. “I’ve been telling you that it was going to be hard for me to try and enjoy this weekend, but I did. I found a way. The guys that’s part of the weekend did a great job of just getting me through it and keeping me positive. Just the whole vibe was something I was looking forward to, being around the guys the whole weekend, just kind of decompressing from the regular season. And now it’s back to the grind.”

There is no avoiding it. Anthony was down when he arrived on the heels of a home loss to the Kings, with the Knicks working on two days rest while Sacramento was on the second night of a back-to-back, and tried to create some positive energy. At the media session Friday, he not only said he would like to re-sign rather than leave town, but that he would be willing to take a pay cut to make it happen if it meant management could spend the savings on the roster.

Even if the smart PR move never comes true in the real world of contract negotiations, it was something. And little things can mean a lot at 20-32 and 2 and 1/2 games behind the Bobcats for eighth in the East, a fact no one could have imagined at the start of the season.

Now comes four games in five nights, including a return to New Orleans on Wednesday, and jumping right back into the Woodson rumors and the free-agent speculation. Now comes life as a Knick again.

1. SYDALE says:

Melo should come to the Sixers… give us an instant turn around… LOL

On a scary note… What if the Knicks and Rockets agreed to trade Melo for Lin and Asik??? THAT would make Houston deadly…

2. Carmelo is an amazing talent. He does not fit into a typical team system though. He will need a special team put around him in order to win.

3. melopropagandadollars says:

carmelo antony is the cause of the terrible knicks reality, as he was responsible in denver with his max contract.
    when you are a marketing fraud like him, a franchise will pay big for the “services”, and then.. the team is dead, because the ball doesn’t give a damn if you are a swaggy market fraud that media has to sell to sell jerseys and shoes to KIDS. you will lose. untill the “superstar” escape and sign somewhere else because “the actual team is too bad for him”

• Knicks101 says:

Not understanding the game of basketball would cause a person to make a comment like that. Denver was at the bottom of the league when Melo came, remember he was the third pick in the draft. Why would a team pick third overall, because they were one of the worst teams that prior year. His first year they went to the playoffs.

4. Mike D'Antoni says:

Don’t come to Lakers next season Melo, you will regret having me as your coach. I screw up teams and players.

• fooglafishywish says:

But wouldn’t Melo fit in well with your “offense first………..then that other thing, oh yeah, defense” system?

5. jake s. says:

‘Melo should be traded to the Clippers for Crawford, Barnes, and Jordan.

6. blah says:

He should have took a pay cut when Jeremy’s contract was being dealt. Jeremy wanted to stay and that team was the perfect fit for him. In Houston hes doing ok because Harden basically hogs the ball. I’m not saying harden isn’t good but hes taking the point guards role. Harden cannot play off the ball is what I’m saying.

7. I want melo to pick a all star team! like Irving
    or if not try getting granger! hes no use in indiana anymore
    while doing that try getting asik and remove chandler hes no help anymore
    they say there struglin without him but they arent its their self defense thats lacking

wish new york line up next season will be this

PG – IRVING
    SG – SHUMPERT
    SF – MELO
    PF – AMARE STAT
    C – ASIK

that can be a contender in the east!

8. tim says:

NY fan gave this guy too much credit. sure he can score points here and there but look at the team’s standing. A good player makes his team mates better players and I don’t see that quality in Melo. He get paid too much for taking a team to early fishing.

9. melofan says:

melo will definitely make the playoffs and make an impact. i dont think he’ll go all the way this year but he and the knicks will make an impact

10. Knickerbocker says:

Bring Kyrie to NY …. Problem Solved!

11. BlowOUT!!!!! says:

Melo let’s move forward my man! Miami Heat is your next team

12. lol says:

Melo is a noobie player, he cant play defence he is only good for all star games where defence is not allowed and all u see is fancy plays. playoff time he fails big time he never gunna win anything with any team he proved that already with Denver where he had a better team.

• Kyle says:

Denver had a better team? Name the help that he had on that Denver team?

• vinsanefan says:

Ignorant comment. Melo might not be the best defender in the league, but he’s decent at that end. As for his all around game, there is a reason why GM’s all around the league start drooling at the prospect of landing Melo. He’s the best scorer in the league not named Kevin Durant.

• kek says:

Melo is not a great defender, but his not a poor one either, and he plays hard every game, Knicks have poor roleplayers, and I miss Novak this season, because anyone besides Melo cant make a shot it seems like.

13. ayochaser says:

I’m a Carmelo fan so by default, I’m a knicks fan but him saying he’s willing to take less money, to me, was his way of saying “no other team can offer me $129 mill, but I’m not worried about that.” It sounded great to most knicks fans I know, but in my mind he’s likely gonna take a contract similar to what Dwight got to play somewhere else this offseason. I’d like to see him stay, but I’d love to see him in a better situation with a chance to be relevant next year rather than wasting the rest of his prime with a poorly run, mediocre organization.

14. dustydreamnz says:

Yeah, it’s a TEAM sport. You’re not going to win without a good support cast. I’m not a LBJ fan but I never expected him to win in Cleveland.

15. realknlckfan says:

Even MJ didn,t win until he had the right players around him LBJ struggled with a team built around him, look at kobi ‘some thing . Why is Melo expected to do better than them.

• allaroundballer says:

MJ didn’t choose his teammates. He and the bulls built themself, with its own draft picks. Especially their first 3peat, that’s why he’s the greatest player in modern basketball

• Whateva... says:

allaroundballer…you’re incorrect. They traded for Dennis Rodman, Ron Harperand went after Toni Kukoc who were non draft picks and vital in winning championships.