Blogtable: Stop Doing That, Please

Each week, we’ll ask our stable of scribes across the globe to weigh in on the three most important NBA topics of the day — and then give you a chance to step on the scale, too, in the comments below.

MVP: KD or LeBron? | A should-be All-Star? | Player’s flaw?

VIDEO: Stephen Curry talks about his big season to date

If you could get one player to stop doing one thing on-court – a habit, a particular pass or shot he keeps blowing, something he does too much and drives you nuts every time you see it — who and what?

Steve Aschburner, NBA.comRajon Rondo letting an inbounded ball dribble and roll too long before picking it up and going. Don’t mean to pick on Rondo – he’s just one of many, including Ty Lawson, Kyrie Irving and a bunch of mostly point guards who have bought into this false economy. Sure, once in a while the ball is delivered in a way that it can be chaperoned for a few extra feet while keeping the game clock from starting. But often, it’s angled toward the sideline and losing its speed, so finally grabbing it and veering back on course eats up whatever seconds allegedly were saved. Meanwhile, it gives a defender an opportunity to pounce. It’s a Joe College move and the sort of false hustle/smarts that makes sliding into first base such a laughable MLB play.

Fran Blinebury, NBA.comJ.R. Smith: touching the basketball.

Jeff Caplan, NBA.com: My first inclination is for Steve Nash to stop licking his fingers. So gross. But we haven’t seen all that much of Nash this season, so I’ll give him a reprieve. My other beef is with another crafty guard with an oral fixation. Hey Steph Curry, keep that mouth piece of yours where it belongs — in your mouth. He especially seems to love to dangle the thing after dropping a ridiculous 3-pointer and then incorporates the dangle with a half-crazed stare as he awaits the opponent at the other end.

Scott Howard-Cooper, NBA.com: That habit a lot of top players have of getting hurt has become old. I’d like that to stop. I don’t have one player fixing one thing. I would like to see a lot of guys hit a mid-range jumper, even the guys who do well on 3-pointers. I would even take it beyond just players. I would like to see word come down from NBA HQ to make the game the thing, not a layer, even the top layer, in the entertainment experience.

John Schuhmann, NBA.comKevin Love needs to stop admiring his shot and get his butt back on defense. The Wolves rank near the bottom of the league in transition defense, in part because Love often stands idly by as the opponent is running down the floor

Sekou Smith, NBA.com: I’m terribly uncomfortable whining about something like this, truly … players are entitled to their rituals and habits, I’ll take a pass over another dribble almost every time and nobody ever sets out to miss a shot on purpose. I made a resolution for 2014 to stop worrying and whining about things that don’t change the course of my day (or my life, for that matter) and this, my friends, definitely falls into that category. But since we’re going there, I need a player with Ricky Rubio’s talent to stop passing up open looks, wide-open quality looks, because he has no confidence in his shot. Rubio isn’t the threat he should be because he hasn’t fine-tuned his shooting stroke. He’s a brilliant passer and no one will dispute that, but there’s no way he maximizes his immense potential (and no way the Timberwolves get his best) if he cannot round out his game with a more aggressive approach and a more confident and polished stroke.

Lang Whitaker, NBA.com All Ball blog: From the beard to the range, I love nearly everything about James Harden. Except one thing — the way he flings his head back when driving to the basket in order to draw fouls. It wouldn’t bother me so much if Harden didn’t do it so often, jerking his head back almost every time he drives to the basket. The thing is, it’s hard to criticize someone for doing something that works — Harden shoots eight free throws a game, gets easy points from the line and keeps opponents in foul trouble. But just because it gets called doesn’t make it right.

Karan Madhok, NBA IndiaI scream at the TV set every time Pau Gasol settles for a mid-range jumper, and this has been happening for a few years now. Gasol is one of the league’s last standing big men with genuine sublime offensive post moves, and has the ability to create for himself and dish out beautifully under the basket or with his back to the basket. A quick look at his short chart says that Pau is a better-than-50 percent shooter under the basket and can hit the mid-range jumper in front of the basket, but the percentages start to fall in most shots taken from the mid-range from either corner. Plus, aesthetically, that jumper is an eye-sore, especially when I know how gifted he is when he drives in. Attack the basket, Pau!

Stefanos Triantafyllos, NBA Greece: I hate it when Rajon Rondo hides his mouth-piece inside his jersey. It drives me crazy, because I can’t understand why he does it. Why have a mouth-piece if you don’t intend to keep it in you mouth at the first place!

Adriano Albuquerque, NBA Brasil: Is there any other possible answer here than erasing the 3-point shooting from Josh Smith? Just stay on the block, Josh!

1. Kal says:

These are all great!

I’ll add my personal pet peeve…

EVERY SINGLE PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE LOOKING FOR FOULS EVERYTIME THERE IS ANY CONTACT OR THEY CAN’T CONVERT A TOUGH LAYUP.

Learn to finish with contact. And learn to play physical and play on. And only complain every now and then. I swear it’s all the time, it’s almost every play these days, it’s pathetic, it’s annoying, it’s an excuse for not being a better player, yes the refs are bad and miss calls and a lot of players and teams don’t get calls that should, but it just looks so weak and really sours the game. I have more respect for a guy that can get up from a missed call and keep balling.

2. Cain says:

Bad shot selection
    No effort on defense
    Selfish players
    And goons like JR Smith who for some unknown reason to the educated world messes around with other peoples shoes! WHY?

Andrew Bynum – Stay out of the league, open up a bowling alley and run the burger stand!

3. jdub455 says:

Chris Bosh attempting 3 pt shots! Bosh is ridiculously good post player (just remember his Toronto days) and yet he takes 3 pt shots for a very weak rebounding team

4. xyz says:

I haven’t seen it but Schuhmann is one spot – with this one

5. justsayin says:

I’ll say it again. I’m sick of watching both teams point in self-serving directions on every out of bounds call. They’re lying to the refs face even on obvious calls. It disrespects the game, the refs, and the fans watching. Plus it’s annoying as hell.

Please Adam Silver – make that practice become a (team) technical foul or a forfeiture of posession.

6. juggernaut584 says:

1.) Russell Westbrook with all those 1st-3rd quarter celebrations like every shot he makes is a game winner.
    2.) Pau Gasol just being totally soft on defense and being manhandled by other big men.
    3.) Lebron finishing off most of his drives in traffic with finger rolls, and underhand scoop shots when he should be dunking/attempting to dunk and then crying to the refs when he doesn’t get a foul call.
    4.) Blake Griffin not blocking shots when he’s the most athletic big man in the league.
    5.) Dwight Howard not improving his game or his FT shooting after damn near 10 years in the league.
    6.) James Harden not playing anything that remotely resembles defense.
    7.) Even though he can shoot, Kevin Martin shoots like a girl.
    8.) Denver Nuggets without George Karl.
    9.) Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce playing for Jason Kidd.
    10.) Non-superstars wearing shooting sleeves. (This means you, Mario Chalmers!)

• jOLAN says:

I laughed at number 7. Don’t get number 10. Why do you have to be a superstar to wear a shooting sleeve?

• juggernaut584 says:

jOLAN, I’m not sure if you’ve ever played pickup ball or ball at any level, but it is the most annoying thing in the world to me to see a guy with all this gear on that can’t play. Now you can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Iverson was the first NBA player rocking the shooting sleeve. Then it trickled down to the rest of the league, but mostly only superstars like Kobe, Lebron, D.Wade, Melo, etc. I didn’t see any of the lesser known players rocking the sleeves when they were first brought out. It kind of separated the best players on some teams from the role players. So now when I see Chalmers rocking the sleeve, I sometimes mistake him for D.Wade at first glance when I’m watching Heat games (even in HD!)

• Apex Predator says:

@juggernaut.

Number 7 and 9 was pretty good man. I don’t really agree with you on the arm sleeve thing because there are other reasons why people use it. You might say some will use it for style which I will agree with what you said about Chalmers but there are therapeutic reasons for it as well.

I use the same compression sleeves like what D.Wade, KD, and Jeremy Lin wears for my legs when I run pick up. I tore my left ACL 8 years ago and had calf problems and I’m no pro. Its for protective purpose not style.

• Bballfan says:

Blake is athletic but he doesn’t have long arms which hinders blocks

• justsayin says:

His vertical more than makes up for it – my guess is he’s (justifiably) worried about foul trouble.

7. TROYBOY says:

Jamaal Crawford, Nate Robinson, JR Smith, and Nick Young to stop taking bad shots. Develop some skills to hide those bad shots. Other than Crawford, those other guys jack up bad shots after bad shots. The worst thing about it is when they start going in. They think every thing they throw up is going in. If you watch their shots, almost all are bad shots that only looks good when they go in.

All but Crawford have the same game. The only reason I’m pulling away a bit from Crawford is that he make most of his bad shots. If you’re a fan of these guys, then you should understand my point. When the game is on the line and they put up those…..NO!…NO!…NO!….NO!…….then…YES!!! if they go in type shots. It should scare the living hell of any fan. I’m not a fan of these guys but please……JUST STOP IT!!!

8. KingKaash94 says:

Steph Curry and Damian Lillard jack up too many 3s in a game. I know there shooting percentage is still pretty good but I think they shoot too many 3 balls. It’s kinda what I do in 2k when I know I got a 3pt shooter that looks kinda open. I keep jacking up 3s and usually they don’t go in. I think the reason Curry and Lillard do that is because they trust their shot alot but I wish they would just take the best available shot.

9. Walt "Clyde" Frasier says:

I hate it when during the all star games back in the day, Charles Barkley would put lip balm in his belly button and apply it on the bench… moisturizing and posterizing.

10. yogi says:

1. PGs let the ball roll to read the defense and give offense time to set.
    2. Rondo is the most verbal player in the league, and the crowds can get loud. Mouth pieces inhibit communication.

11. Willie Armstrong says:

For Jeff Caplan-Watch Caron Butler….you can get your fix when Nash isn’t playing

12. mee(a)t says:

Lol I agree with Josh Smith attempting too much 3s…