Howard Says Winning A Championship The Goal, Not All-Star Recognition

VIDEO: The TNT crew debates the All-Star reserve selections, including Dwight Howard

HOUSTON — Tyrannosaurus Rex, the woolly mammoth and the dodo bird are extinct.

But Dwight Howard says he’s not worried that he and other traditional big men might join them after the fan voting for the 2014 NBA All-Star Game nudged them toward the endangered species list.

Neither the Eastern or Western Conference teams will have a center in the starting lineup after the Rockets’s Howard and the Pacers’ Roy Hibbert were shut out in the voting by three forwards across the front line.

“I didn’t come to Houston to be a starter on the All-Star team,” Howard said before Friday night’s game against the Grizzlies. “I came to help this team win a championship. So that’s my goal.

“I’m happy for all the guys that got voted in by the fans. The guys who started have had an unbelievable season so far to this point. So I’m excited to see those guys play.

“I mean, of course, (there’s) a little disappointment with everything. But like I said, I want to win a championship. That’s why I’m here. Being an All-Star and being on the All-Star team is a bonus. It’s a blessing to be a part of that group. But my goal is win a championship. That’s what I’m here for. That’s why I came to Houston to do and that’s been my only goal since I’ve been here.

“I haven’t written down anything about starting for the All-Star team, but I have written down winning a championship. So that’s what I want to do.”

This is the second year that that there was no designated center position on the All-Star ballot. Fans are asked to vote simply for three front court players and two backcourt players.

Howard said that change in the system is big part of the reason that his vote total this season of 653,318 is significantly down from his peak year of 2009, when he led all vote-getters with more than 3.1 million.

“That’s understandable,” Howard said. “Now with no centers on the ballot, we get mixed in with the Kevin Durants, the Blakes and all that stuff, guys that play small forward and power forward. It’s a little bit different. But I’ll do whatever I can to get back up to the top. That’s my goal. The only way you do that is by winning. So that’s what I’m gonna try to do.”

Howard then referred to his spoof campaign from last season that was released by The NOC on YouTube. It promotes The Center Center For Centers.

The spoof is played to the background music of Sarah MacLachlan’s Angel and is a takeoff on her dog rescue public service announcements.

“Hi, I’m Dwight Howard. This year, centers have been left off the All-Star ballot, leaving dozens of centers, centers just like me, feeling alone and scared. Thankfully, there’s a way you can help. …

“Here at the Center Center for Centers, we give centers the love and care they need and we retrain them … as point guards, ready to become productive members of the NBA. …

“Please say you’ll be the angel for the center who is suffering right now. Call the number on your screen or go online to pledge your support.”

After Howard played the spoof ad on his iPad for a group of reporters, he grinned broadly and promised to renew his first for respect at his position.

“I’m gonna have another campaign for saving the centers, because the world needs us. They might not need us to start for the All-Star Game, but they’re gonna need us to block shots, get things from the ceiling, tall things and stuff like that. We’ll be needed and I want to make sure everybody knows that.

1. emevipeelad234 says:

closed !

2. emevipeelad234 says:

yes dwight but in your case, the NON all star recognition this year is because the nba hyped-sold you like a super all star MVP candidate title winner (and you was going after it, you was that for a couple of seasons), then… orlando kid drama, lakers disaster clowny experience exposed your mentality and why your egocentrism will stop you from getting a title every year. plus your unability to compensate your loss of athleticism (bad injury) by basic MOVES. i mean i know guys who added and trained moves and footwork like crazies just watching the 94 and 95 nba finals with tapes. they are WORKING.
    you have olajuwon as a personal teacher since a year ? and what ? LOL. i think your head is totally close.

3. jdub455 says:

i think the starting line up shld hav been cp3, steph, kd, love and aldridge… i applaude the new format. coz if it werent 4 it, we wud hav seen howard start at center even if he only relies on athleticism (just like mr. kia optima),,, but howard is showing some improvements in ft and post moves. but still relies on dribble drive penetration of the guards to get his shots. still does not command the double team.

4. Saggy B says:

No, free-throws is his goal

5. okc2014 says:

Wow, so much hate for Dwight Howard. Give the guy a break. He’s is licking his wounds from being snubbed for starter. Whether he admits it or not. Orlando and Faker fans are hating on him because he left. Well, too bad so sad. Now he’s in Houston and he seems to be a happy guy. So get over it. Having sour grapes is worse than being a crybaby if you ask me.

• laker says:

hes happy for now…lets see in 8 months…im not licking my wounds ..glad hes gone and so are alot of laker fans here in orange county ca…hes a baby with no heart

6. Jose Garcia says:

D.HOWARD SHOULD HAVE STAYED A LAKER

7. rtrhyer says:

and howard doesn’t deserve to complain when guys like tony parker get snubbed

8. asasa says:

I would say its a better acomplishment to make the allstar team by being selected by coaches instead of having clueless fans vote, Im not saying that klove, durant and griffin shouldnt start, but there is always guys like kobe bryant(this season) kevin garnett last season, who get voted in even tho they have either been injured the whole season, or havent played like allstars.

9. Just Be says:

LOL is right….howard will never win a title…I thought he was gonna represent the re@l superman,

10. Scott says:

This clown will never win a championship. His best days are behind him. Too dense to evolve as a player.

11. ml98 says:

Howard’s legitimate days to win a championship are behind him. Unless he joins the Miami Heat or OKC, he’s not getting any championships.

12. lol says:

so delusional, Howard will never win a championship,the Rockets will probably exit in the first round of the playoffs. He should stick to Dunk contests and all star games really.

13. Bob Slydell says:

Dwight Howard can still be a funny, lovable guy, see? Told ya!

14. juju says:

true. if only he can translate what he said to more effort. he is not really being correctly utilized by the rockets.

15. Dwight Howard is a BIG cry baby.