Air Check: Driving Dentists Crazy

HANG TIME NEW JERSEY – For NBA fans like us, there’s nothing better than League Pass. Having the ability to watch every game every night (and then again the next day) is heaven.

Of course, with local broadcasts, you get local broadcasters, which can be good and bad. It can be good, because these guys know their teams better than most national broadcasters. It can be bad, because these guys love their teams more than most national broadcasters. And they’re usually not afraid to show that love.

Air Check is where we highlight the best and worst of NBA broadcasts.

Mouthguards are for guarding mouths

When Stephen Curry loses his mouthpiece in a game in Phoenix in December, Suns analyst Eddie Johnson makes it clear that he’s had enough. Apparently, defenders aren’t the only people Curry drives crazy …

VIDEO: Golden State’s Stephen Curry should watch his mouth

He’s right. I remember watching Baron Davis dribbling up the floor several years ago with the ball in his right hand and, for some reason, his mouthguard in his left.

All the catchphrases in Cleveland

Cavs play-by-play man Fred McLeod can get excited sometimes. But he brings some wit with his excitement. Here’s example No. 1, when Matthew Dellavedova hits a big 3 against the Blazers …

VIDEO: Announcer Fred McLeod loves him some Cavs

A Delly Trey. Very nice.

And here’s McLeod’s call when Anderson Varejao makes a hustle play against the Hawks …

VIDEO: More Fred McLeod, announcer extraordinaire

With Varejao being from Brazil, I’m fairly certain that was Portuguese coming out of McLeod’s mouth before he went back to speaking English. A little international culture for the folks watching in Cleveland and on League Pass.

The team of McLeod and Austin Carr were featured in Air Check last month. They’re a duo that has grown on me quite a bit over the last couple of years.

1. txemacasanueva says:

Tom Heinsohn.

2. Autocorrect says:

I’m sorry but the award of worst commentators in the league goes to the Minnesota Timberwolves!

So Salty,

3. Nico says:

Dear Javier,

Just accept it that your an idiot.

4. Nico says:

Dear Javier,

5. dustydreamnz says:

I like the Cleveland guys. I think the Clippers and the Kings callers are the worst because they are so biased.

• jOLAN says:

You must be a cavs fan then. These guys are one of the most biased broadcasters in the NBA. I usually have to mute the sound because the broadcasting is so horrible. I understand they are going to want to route for their team, but these guys go so overboard with it.

6. Javier says:

Cleaveland has the worst commentators in the league. Along with one of the worst NBA, NFL, and NHL teams.

• Brick says:

Dear Javier,

You had me there until you typed “Cleaveland”. Then you had to mention their really bad NHL team! Good knowledge bud.

• Javier says:

It’s called autocorrect bud. I misspelled it once and every time I wanna type CLEVELAND it fixes it for me without me noticing. Your terrible attempt at trying to outsmart me has failed.

• Javier says:

I meant MLB, whatever. Point is, Cleveland is the laughing stock of all the sports cities, and of US cities in general. No wonder LeBron left. If you’re a Cavs fan, you can go ahead and start burning your Kyrie jerseys in advance because he won’t last much longer there.

• Neutral says:

Javier,
        I really have no opinion on what you said about Cleveland, but I have to say that Brick’s terrible attempt to outsmart you didn’t fail. You can blame autocorrect, but confusing the NHL with the MLB is pretty funny from my perspective. Thanks for the good laugh! =)

• adsf says:

he does have a point though, after the ball being touched by so many sweaty hands, he uses the same hand to touch his mouth piece.