Air Check: Did He Just Say That?

HANG TIME NEW JERSEY – For NBA fans like us, there’s nothing better than League Pass. Having the ability to watch every game every night (and then again the next day) is heaven.

aircheck-250Of course, with local broadcasts, you get local broadcasters, which can be good and bad. It can be good, because these guys know their teams better than most national broadcasters. It can be bad, because these guys love their teams more than most national broadcasters. And they’re usually not afraid to show that love.

Air Check is where we highlight the best and worst of NBA broadcasts.

Did he just say that? Part I

The New York Knicks were having a rough afternoon a couple of Sundays ago, getting outscored 35-17 in the first quarter on their way to a 31-point loss at the hands of the San Antonio Spurs.

Without Tyson Chandler, New York is obviously having a hard time defending. So late in the second quarter of that game against the Spurs, Mike Woodson made an offense-for-defense substitution … well, according to Clyde Frazier.

VIDEO: Amar’e Stoudemire’s defense doesn’t pay dividends for New York

Mike Breen, speaking of Andrea Bargnani, says “He’s starting to come out of it offensively, although defensively is where all the problems were today, so far.”

Never fear. Here comes Amar’e Stoudemire.

“That’s why STAT checks in,” Frazier says, “because you want some defense out there.”

Wait a minute … Did he just say that? About Amar’e Stoudemire?

To illustrate Clyde’s point, Stoudemire proceeds to shove Tim Duncan in an attempt to defend the Spurs’ pick-and-roll.

Did he just say that? Part II

Klay Thompson was off to a rough start in Monday’s game in Utah, missing seven of his eight shots in the first quarter. At a dead ball, Warriors analyst Jim Barnett has some advice for Thompson and actually looks pretty brilliant as Thompson commits an offensive foul for not following that advice.

But then Barnett says something not so brilliant …

VIDEO: Jim Barnett’s value of Klay Thompson is a little off

“I can tell you,” Barnett says, “off the top of my head, Klay Thompson … Only two players I’d ever think about trading right now, LeBron and Kevin Durant. Those are the only two.”

Wait a minute … Did he just say that?

“That’s what I think of Klay Thompson,” Barnett continues, “and how good he’s going to be.”

Vintage Tommy

This is our third week of Air Check this season and we haven’t had any Tommy Heinsohn yet. So here you go …

VIDEO: It just isn’t a Celtics game with Tommy Heinsohn’s frustration …

C’mahn!

1. Moose says:

I would trade klay for utahs first round pick

2. A.J. says:

In Fraziers’ and Stoudemires’ defense, that was an obvious Duncan flop.

3. wow says:

Well Klay Thompson is the second best shooter in the NBA. I’m not surprised. That list isn’t that much longer because Klay is only in his third year. I think they were looking at it is Klay still having a lot of room to grow and I’d have to agree, not very many teams out there that have something to trade for Thompson.

• some truth says:

Thompson is an amazing young shooter, and his overall offensive game as well his defense is developing quickly, his potential is huge. but to say he is anywhere near or potentially has the natural physical/athletic abilities of LBJ or KD is completely foolish, even comparing his shooting to Durant, who had a 180 season or 50/40/90 efficiency last year is silly. I like GSW and what the plash brothers are doing together, Klay will be great player but anyone considering those kind of trade scenarios is an idiot.

4. jb says:

Lol I watch all the kings games on Comcast sports net and our broadcast team is pretty good but there are times where they are too biased for the kings like with foul calls like its clearly a foul on the replay and they don’t acknowledge it but for the most part they are very good

5. Will.I.Am says:

LOL after watching a few warriors games its not surprising that Barnett said that. Barnett and the other announcer just love their warriors. Thompson MAY have potential to be like Durant/Lebron but I highly doubt that, but who knows only rime will tell. But if he thinks that Thompson is as good as Durant/Lebron right now then he must be on some serious weed.

6. dq says:

“Give him an Oscar…” haha I hear that one a lot these days

7. But says:

Thompson is going to be a perennial all-star. He will get better at defending the number one guard and his offensive game is becoming more diverse every year. Sure he can potentially average 25 points and 5 rebounds a game. But he is not on the same level as Lebron or Durant. He just lacks the dynamic play that draws the attention of the entire opposition which is vital in his playmaking ability. .

8. mehg says:

klay is a beast

9. Amir says:

As a Kings fan living in the Bay Area, the praise the Warrios is getting is out of control.

The Dubbs are really sick this year, but the entire fanbase is so ULTRA biased and so uninformed that a LEBRON/KLAY comparison exists out here. Mainly because this is a Bandwagon-Baseball-Giants town and nobody here watched basketball until RAIDERS/NINERS season ends.

In my opinion, the real hardcore Warrior fans consist of a half dozen Asian guys from West Oakland.

Potential is there for Klay, but lets not compare Soldiers with Kings.

10. Chris says:

Barnett is talking about in terms of the Warriors. That list is still pretty short. I’d take Lebron, Durant, George, and Melo.

11. Kevin says:

Barnett mentioned how well Klay is playing defense this year and it got me to start watching him on the defensive end. I’ve been very impressed. He’s surprisingly quick on his feet, stays with guys, makes them miss, and seldom fouls. Then add to that his offensive game…

I can understand why Barnett is so excited about him, because watching Thompson play, I’m excited too.

12. bballll says:

Haha Klay Thompson is good, but to say the only 2 players you would trade for is Lebron and Durant is quite ridiculous.