Bryant Ramping Up Practice Workload; Nash Expects To Play Tuesday

BEIJING – Kobe Bryant said Monday he expected to increase his workload in practice later in the day, giving the Lakers good news on the medical front on back-to-back days, a record by their standards the last couple seasons.

Speaking before practice at MasterCard Center, where the Lakers and Warriors will play an exhibition Tuesday night local time (7:30 a.m. ET, NBA TV), Bryant cautioned that he still does not know if he will play in the season opener Oct. 29 against the Clippers. He said he could not estimate so much as when he will participate in a full practice, the next major step in the recovery from a torn Achilles’ tendon. But he left no doubt there have been improvements.

“I feel pretty good,” Bryant said. “I’m stepping it up. I’m looking forward to today’s practice and seeing what I can do from a conditioning standpoint. Rev it up a little bit.

“I haven’t pushed it-pushed it yet. I’ve done some pretty heavy running on the treadmill over the last few days, more than I’ve ever done before. I’ve never been a big treadmill guy, but it was necessary. Today, hopefully I can get out on the court and run. I feel like I can kind of pick up the pace and that I can keep doing that.”

Meanwhile, the other starting guard, Steve Nash, reported no ill effects after participating in the full practice Sunday and said he expects to face the Warriors on Tuesday. Nash, who struggled with his health last season, sprained his left ankle last Friday against the Kings in Las Vegas.

“I plan to play tomorrow, so we’ll see how it goes,” Nash said. “I’m not worried about it. I think this is going to be a month of ups and downs, trying to get in condition to play. That’s what this time of year is for.”

1. NBAblogger says:

Kobe is 140 missed shots away from becoming the all-time leader in missed shots in NBA history…

2. NBAblogger says:

SAVE THE DRAMA FOR THE MAMBA..!!!

3. B Radd says:

Kobe and Pau to the Thunder is definitely a showdown to knock off the Heat any guarantees of a 3peat. NBAer’s get it done!

• genius… unlike LeBron, Kobe wants to bring down his rivals… he want’s to be the best player and not 2nd fiddle

• Kome the Black dumba says:

Yea, and why he kept recuiting players like matt barnes, Howard? Too bad he cannot co-exist with any of them and ruin several chances on more rings. See Shaq, see Howard. Let’s go Kome!

4. Travis says:

Anybody sitting here saying Kobe can’t comeback and won’t come back and dominate, are seriously mis-informed. I’m not entirely sure if ANY of you have followed this off-season and injury the way that I have but one of the biggest names that you all probably HAVEN’T followed, is Dr. Robert Klapper. This man has been quoted as saying that due to the advances in medical medicines, NOT ONLY will Kobe Bryant come back LONG before he was suppose to, but he’ll also go back to dominate the way he once did as well. Some names that people seem to not mention when you mention an achillies injury are…Terrell Suggs of the Baltimore Ravens as well as David Beckam….BOTH guys are guys whom had that type of injury and came back and not only did they dominate at their positon but they also won championships after coming back….I see everyone saying that he should play it safe and not return til he’s 100%. You people have been saying that for YEARS and EVERY-SINGLE-TIME Kobe comes back from an injury, your all left in ‘awe’ and ‘wow’…Kobe will be the one who determines when he plays. ME PERSONALLY, I see him playing opening night…I say this because he’s practicing now, not only t hat, he was quoted as saying “If this were the playoffs or the NBA Finals, I’d get out there”….to have that mindset already, he’ll be out there on opening night, he may not play a big deal of minutes but he will play none the less….Kobe will be Kobe….

5. Kome the Black dumba says:

break a leg, you go Kome!

6. kobe ballhog says:

He will score tons of points and average less than 35% shooting and ballhog the entire team welcome back mamba!

7. kobe ballhog says:

he will still score tons of points and average less than 35% shooting thats what hes ever been

8. satchi says:

when kobe’s says he’s ok .. he will be ok .. when kobe’s says he is ready he will be okay… that’s the black mamba 24!!!

9. Kobe should take his time. He ain’t gonna be younger and his body is already affected by the wear and tear in his almost-20-year career. If he takes his time, we could see a revived Kobe Bryant. If not, it’s only up to FIVE RINGS for him…….

10. J says:

don’t you just hate the off season I know I do cause you have articles like this that just say nothing :(

11. saidu says:

kobe is an outstanding player still at his age, no doubt he’ll silent doubters when fully fit

12. Wow says:

I feel u chris like I really feel u

13. Mig Bryant says:

Kobe will be back better than ever

14. Mohammad says:

Kobe should come back mid-November to be 100% healthy, so then he wont get hurt

15. Uncle Drew says:

Kobe will be back late November-December. Any Lakers fans wanting him back on opening night are hopeful.

16. M. Brown says:

Kobe will drop 30 on opening night.

17. Kobe won’t dominate even if fully healthy this year, but with his superior conditioning he’ll be able to have a major impact for his team for at least a few more years. He’s relentless when it comes to conditioning and preparation. I remember Jordan playing at a high level in his late 30′s and he wasn’t in the same physical shape as Kobe (though Kobe is coming back from a major injury where Jordan simply took some time off). I think Kobe will be like a Jerry Rice, playing at a high level for a while longer than everyone else, if he choses to keep playing. What people don’t realize is that he’ll still be better than half the shooting guards in the league when he’s 37 years old. Maybe not as fast, but definitely a better overall player. Just because he won’t be the best player on the team at that age doesn’t mean he can’t contribute at a high level.

TRUE THAT

18. Chris says:

Kobe won’t dominate even if fully healthy this year, but with his superior conditioning he’ll be able to have a major impact for his team for at least a few more years. He’s relentless when it comes to conditioning and preparation. I remember Jordan playing at a high level in his late 30’s and he wasn’t in the same physical shape as Kobe (though Kobe is coming back from a major injury where Jordan simply took some time off). I think Kobe will be like a Jerry Rice, playing at a high level for a while longer than everyone else, if he choses to keep playing. What people don’t realize is that he’ll still be better than half the shooting guards in the league when he’s 37 years old. Maybe not as fast, but definitely a better overall player. Just because he won’t be the best player on the team at that age doesn’t mean he can’t contribute at a high level.

19. ;kolouhas;dni says:

It’s funny to see guys leave the Suns and their award winning training staff and then go to other teams and be riddled with injuries. The Suns training staff helped keep Nash going all those years and now he’s in LA and struggling to stay healthy in the preseason. He’s been one of my favorite players so it’s sad to see him struggle. I think he’ll be done and retied by the end of this year.

20. okc2014 says:

We will see, won’t we?

21. Steve Elliston says:

Good luck Kobe you probably won’t be back before All-Star break !

22. Kobe Bryant will test the Achilles in practice today – China

When will Kobe join FULL practice? “Once I get out there today, run around a little bit, then I might have a better idea.”

If this were the playoffs? “Yeah, I’d get out there and do something.” -Kobe Bryant

23. william says:

you will rock NBA

24. The Angry Buddhist says:

Old is Ols

• MoneyBall says:

“Old is Ols”

I don’t know what that means but it could make sense, since Kobe defies “Old is Old”

25. puella says:

time for retirement

26. CK says:

Don’t rush, play safe!

27. Romeo Aguirre says:

Kobe and Nash need to get healthy I think we will be ok with Young, Gasol, Kaman it looks like a pretty ok line up

28. Ryan says:

go spurs

29. demented says:

please be healthy… just be healthy