Another Set Back For Nash, Lakers …

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – It seemed like a splendid idea at the time, pairing up Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol in Los Angeles as some sort of super team.

What could possibly go wrong with a lineup of four future Hall of Famers?

Well, it would be cruel to count the ways at this point. But the abbreviated version goes like this: Kobe is scrapping and clawing his way back from an Achilles injury, Dwight vacated the premises via free agency after a tumultuous season in purple and gold, Gasol is set to reclaim his game after a lost season and Nash … Lakers fans are still waiting to see the Steve Nash that rattled them when he was with the rival Phoenix Suns.

As disastrous as things have turned out on several fronts for the Lakers where that proposed super-team is concerned, nothing couldĀ be more disappointing than what they have (not) gotten from Nash, who suffered another setback in Thursday night’s preseason loss to the Sacramento Kings. His sore left ankle forced him out of the action and prompted a somewhat predictable but still starting revelation from Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni.

“I think this will happen off and on all year,” D’Antoni said of the need to rest Nash, “but he’s going to give you a good season and good stuff. We have to take care of him.”

Father Time is clearly camping out around Nash’s locker. Nash turns 40 in February. He’s light years removed from the MVP seasons we saw from him in Phoenix, when it seemed like all he did was get better each day. He missed 32 games last season with a broken leg and other lower-body ailments associated with that injury. He never got the chance to perform consistently with Bryant, Howard and Gasol.

The move to Los Angeles, however, appears to have taken a toll on Nash. It’s been one injury mishap after another and now this, D’Antoni’s warning that Nash will need periodic rest throughout a season that is already going to wear thin the patience of the Lakers’ faithful who are used to rooting for a true contender.

Nash, the oldest player in the league as of this moment, has always been a warrior. He’s played through all sort of ailments. So this is not an indictment of him or his fabric as a competitor. This is more about the fact that he, like so many others before him, cannot escape the inevitable.

Even if your skills remain sharp as ever, and from all indications Nash, if healthy, could perform at the highest level. But the healthy part is what is most troubling. Nash admitted as much to reporters after Thursday night’s game, his most telling statements captured here by ESPNLosAngeles.com’s Dave McMenamin:

“We’ll see,” Nash said Thursday when informed of D’Antoni’s comments. “I’m hoping. Because [the ankle] has gotten better. At the start of camp, it wasn’t very good at all, and through camp it did improve. I think [Thursday] was more of an unfortunate day than a real problem. It could linger, but I don’t expect that to be the case. I’m hoping that through this month we can try to put it behind me. It’s kind of a little bit of a dance because I need this time to prepare, but at the same time, you obviously don’t want to pound the ankle to where I’m not able to function.”

Nash said he cannot remember a specific play that caused the ankle injury but thinks it occurred sometime in September when the Lakers were holding voluntary scrimmages at the team’s practice facility prior to training camp beginning.

“I think it was my first few days back playing,” Nash said. “I don’t think my ankle maybe was in a great position and I didn’t realize it and I pounded on it and I woke up the next morning after playing three days in a row and I was really sore, and it’s kind of persisted since. Like I said, I feel fairly confident it shouldn’t be a huge issue.”

I’m glad Nash is fairly confident that he can battle through this issue and get back to playing the way he’s used to, because I guarantee you there are plenty of skeptics out there who don’t feel the same way.

1. John Burgess says:

It’s the organization fault for acting like he’s 25 and signing him based on what he did and not thinking about his defense and the grind of the season

2. bullsfannnn says:

You are almost 40 years old, playing with a much of young players. Its time to RETIRE !!!

3. Billy Lam says:

The style of Phonex suns is not fit in the lakers.

4. Bob says:

Steve needs to buy a hyperbaric chamber like all the old football guys. I think the Lakers should have kept Josh Selby from the summer league. Josh may not be a true point guard, but he is a big offensive threat. Kaman and Gasol will have a nice high/low post game that will free up the shooters.

5. Respect for Nash says:

i have highest regards for Nash, but as his fan I have to be realistic that he’s just as a good 2nd option at PG. But I think he’ll excel at teaching the young guys how it’s done. They should invest on young bloods as Gasol, Kobe, Nash, Kaman are all getting past their prime.

6. Romeo Aguirre says:

Idk why they went out and got Nash the can build a good team around Gasol and Kobe next year a healthy Kobe but we will see what happens y’all better be thankful we didn’t get cp3 like we were suppose to

7. celentano says:

a lot dudes on this blog esagerates too much about nash age ! a sprained ankle can happen at anybody playin competition sports.clearly a lot noobs on this blog never play’d competition,never spray’d their ankles before !
    i spray’d my ankles more than 50 times left & right foot during my b.ball days! a lot happend when i was in my prime. please save yourself d’ont post nonsen again!

• Pakyaw says:

I don’t know if your exaggerating or not, but if u sprain your ankle like 50 times before just like u said.,then u have both left feet.lol!..u been crossed over many times by others..hehehe

8. R-Dawg says:

I am the biggest Nash fan of all time but I do agree that father time is finally catching up. I grew up close to where Steve Nash lived and he will always be a hero in Vancouver, BC.

9. okc2014 says:

The Lakers are done. Even before the season starts. Too bad, so sad.

10. Troy says:

It couldn’t possibly have anything to do with these guys, could it?

Nah. I’m sure it’s just because he’s getting older. Because Grant Hill did really well last year on the Clips. Oh, wait…

Aaron Nelson and co. are warlocks. End of story.

11. Akeem Asante says:

If Nash makes it through this season, it will most likely be his last. Time to give it up buddy.

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Hang Time Blog | NBA.com wrote:

> ** > Sekou Smith posted: ” [nba-video > vid=/teams/lakers/2013/10/10/NashPostGamemov-2911555] . HANG TIME > HEADQUARTERS — It seemed like a splendid idea at the time, pairing up Kobe > Bryant, Steve Nash, Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol in Los Angeles as some sort > of super “

12. Minimo says:

Nash’s stress from his ex-wife and litigations are playing a role on how his body is balancing mental and physical stress at the NBA level as well, I wouldn’t doubt. Hola, “WE WANT WANT PRE-NUP, WE WANT PRE-NUP”

13. Tom says:

I told Lakernation after the Mavericks swept (2011) them that they needed to just totally rebuild, even consider trading Kobe. I told them Kobe had obviously lost his game a bit. I told them there was no way possible that this franchise was going to be able to maintain it’s standing and that a major demolition and rebuilding period was inevitable. I told them that it was impossible to salvage the Kobe error. I told them Kobe might win another ring but never in a Laker uniform, that Kobe was too old to still be great after a minor rebuilding period. I explained to them how the Lakers 90% of the time always struggled to make it out of the west, even with some of their best teams, which was the biggest clue to their recent demise. But no, they laughed at me saying they were still contenders every year. HAHAHA whose laughing now Lakernation??? ME!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Told ya so. They should have listened to me, they could have traded Kobe for a young Paul George and a couple more quality players or something in 2011 and been ok by now, maybe the best in the West. You only give Michael Jordan himself a no trade clause, not no fake imitation Michael Jordan!!! (Jordan is often imitation ed, never duplicated.) So you can trade him when he first starts to decline (2010) and you can keep your project afloat. But no they have Kobe with a no trade clause and that nonsense. Fools, Jordan didn’t even have a no trade clause.

14. marty says:

Father Time undefeated.Can’t stay healthy and could not defend when he was.

15. Father Time says:

Nash, quit fighting. I always win. Come on home.

16. Game Time says:

When your starting PG is 39 going on 40 you are setting the team up to fail.