Celtics Will Rebuild Quickly With A Healthy And Hungry Rondo On Board

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – That cold and long winter that was predicted for the Boston Celtics in the aftermath of Doc Rivers departing for the Los Angeles Clippers and Danny Ainge trading away Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce is still in effect.

You don’t lose that kind of championship firepower and simply move on, not without up-and-coming stars ready to fill those shoes immediately. But I am inclined to trim some time off of the back-end of that prediction if the words coming out of Rajon Rondo‘s mouth are genuine.

The lone member of the Celtics’ championship team core, Rondo’s ability to bounce back from a season-ending knee injury and mesh with new coach Brad Stevens were the two biggest question marks hanging over the Celtics this season and in the near future. It wasn’t clear if Rondo wanted to dig in for the long-term rebuild that is under way in Boston, not at this stage of his career and not after all of the playoff highs and lows he’s dealt with the past six years.

He silenced any doubters by quietly going about the business of being the leader you hoped he would. He developed a relationship with Stevens, even going so far as to declare his new coach as his “best friend” at media day. “We talk every day, we laugh and joke, we just had dinner the other night,”Rondo said. “I’m going to help him, he’s going to help me. He has my full support, and I told him from day one when he came to my camp [in Louisville for their first meeting in July], I’m 100 percent behind him.”

While Rondo’s not expected back in action until sometime after the first month of the season, if that soon, he’s already helping to jumpstart the Celtics’ franchise rebuild by simply buying in to the new program. He swears his plan all along has been to stick it out with the Celtics, he has two more years and $25 million on his current deal. He told A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com as much, making clear his mission to revive the franchise along with his career as one of the top point guards in the game.

I love it here. The fans are great here,” Rondo said.  “And [president of basketball operations] Danny [Ainge] has been straightforward with me. This is my team. Why would I want to leave? Why would I want out?

“I never really backed away from a challenge. This would be a challenge. I’m looking forward to working with coach [Brad] Stevens. It’s a brand-new start for us as a team. A lot of new players and a lot of young guys willing to listen, so I’m very excited about that.”

There was a time when Rondo’s leadership abilities, or lack thereof, were seen as the only thing that could hold the Celtics back. Now, at least from listening to him, his steady hand running the show in Boston is going to be the bedrock of the next era.

And this is coming from a cynic who wasn’t sure if Rondo would be willing to humble himself in the presence of a new coach without any NBA experience.

He appears to be a changed man, changed for the better in many respects, because of the injury he suffered and the perspective that distance from the game always allows. The maturity that was missing at times throughout the past six or seven years is there now. The wisdom gained from playing alongside future Hall of Famers like Pierce, Garnett and Ray Allen will shine through, especially when he regains his form and returns to live action.

Don’t take my word for it, read it for yourself:

Q: How curious are you to see how your game translates to a team with no Big Three around?

RR: “Whatever coach (Brad Stevens) asks of me, that’s what I try to do. If he wants me to shoot the ball more, I’ll shoot it. But at the end of the day, my natural instincts are to make my teammates better. Regardless of who is out on the floor, I believe I do make everybody out there better. I’m going to push them as hard as I can. I’m going to demand a lot out of them. I wouldn’t demand anything that I wouldn’t demand of myself. So I’m excited to play with a new group of guys.”

Q: When you said you felt nothing when the trade went down …

RR: “That was blown out of proportion.”

Q: So what was the story behind it?

RR: “I don’t really say much and speak out on exactly what happened. I talk to Kevin all the time. I talk to P. Obviously it was different when the trade went down. I didn’t expect it to happen. I had just gotten off the plane. It happens, and that’s the business. I’m not going to say it was, ‘forget about it’. We still talk about them in the locker room today, tell stories about how KG was, things Paul did. At the end of the day, I still talk to every one of those guys. I talk to Jet, I talk to P, I talked to Kevin yesterday. We still check on each other. It’s a brotherhood. It’s something that you can’t break. We won titles together. We been through the fire together. It’s just something for life.”

Rondo has mind set on doing it again, this time with a different cast of characters, and with him in the leadership role that he didn’t have the first time around.

1. HoopDreams says:

Why didn’t he ask about Ray Allen lol

2. Kobe Fan says:

Ray Allen is a traitor like LBJ.

• manie says:

so much talk about allen leaving the Celtics when the Boston Celtics new that the big three was going to be dismantle in the same year. Garnet not talking to Ray Allen then Garnet goes to the Nets with Pierce.

• Kome the Black dumba says:

Oh, is this another “hater” people kept saying? Delusional Kobe fan. Have fun rooting for LA this year!

3. Douche says:

Have u guys ever consider that Rondo may eventually end up upgrading all those mediocre players and rookies to become the next superstars? I’m not saying each one of them. Rondo have had great years with the big 3. So far I’ve seen him improved and in my opinion the best pure point guard. Every player will be dying to play with him, u know why? Coz he is a great distributor, he know how to run a team on offense, and he is an above average defender. I think that this Celtics team may become the next big thing if Rondo works out. This is the first time he lead a team, so let’s expect the unexpected out of him, and they may even won the title next year if the chemistry is quickly built up. But they should really dump HUMPHRIES. never start the guy. he’s FAB MELO 2.0.

4. Nat says:

RAYRAY going to miss that circle !! P, KG, Jet are in the group who Rondo talked to but not RAYRAY….. It’s something that you can’t break. We won titles together. We been through the fire together. It’s just something for life.” BUT WHERE IS RAYRAY?? XD

5. Don Juan says:

In terms of pure PG instincts, Rondo is on par with CP3 as the best in the NBA at the moment. Get him a super star big man (wonder why the C’s never pitched for DH12) and Boston will be in the discussion in the East again.

6. Yakimo says:

You should go to the the Knicks with Melo.

7. CELTICALLDAY says:

YOU GUYS ARE CRAZY. Rondo is going to stay with Boston, this isn’t like a Lebron or Dwight. He wants to stay so be quiet. HE IS A TRUE POINT GUARD SO DONT CALL HIM DELUSIONAL.

• manie says:

no body wants to play for a loosing team and Boston is not going to win any division titles for the next 2-4 years

8. george says:

Is this Rondo??????? well, may be but please don’t say is “Genuine”…… and if he truly believed what Danny Ainge says to him, them he is delusional……… Rondo will be with someone else before the year is over

9. z_mejia says:

i believe Rondo can carry the Celtics, but he need one more super star to help him.

10. rubyred says:

Well the Celtics only lost by one point against NY. So as for the Celtics rebuilding, looks good so far to me. Rondo is here to stay, and I bleed green even if they traded the other players.

11. Romeo Aguirre says:

Why not to LA and him, Kobe, and Gasol has championship written all over it he can say what he wants. Would he rather get rebuilt around or go win at least 2 more championships

12. John Doe says:

Won titles? Correction, won one mofoe title….Rondo, u have it twisted!

13. W4YANS says:

If all you guys saw he saying that he’ll be staying to lead the C’s, Why y’all thinking he’s going to move to OKC or LA?
    hahaha … this aint going to happen.

• Kome the Black dumba says:

Probably troll or either LA fan boys wishing all the best player on their team. You have to understand since LA is not good anymore, badwagon jump ship to OKC.
      On he other hand, I do think Rondo will eventually fed up with Celtics and leave.

14. Felix says:

He should replace Steve Nash in La

15. Lakers fan says:

I am a hardcore lakers fan since I was old enough to understand the game of basketball. That being said, always had a soft corner for Rajon Rondo. I feel like there’s great things intended for him to accomplish. Still all in for LA no matter what but rooting for the celtics in the east!

• dvv4reid says:

Thanks Bro been in LA 30 years now learned to live with Lakers. Lucky enough to befriend Magic, schooled w Dr. J – Green til I die but my dad went to Springfield College. I learned most athletics at YMCA. I say that to say in the end it’s a game I love to win heck of a lot more than loose, So it’s really the sport we love and it;s most fun when things are unpredictable. That’s why they call it sport!
      One point I need to make I will never understand why Mike get’s the nod automatically as the greatest! He really wasn’t “the greatest”. Certainly great! I cannot deny! But the object of the game ,as in most, is to win. Whoever wins the most is the greatest – right? So let’s talk Russell. 13 Championships didn’t he win championships prior to becoming a Celtic? Then took the NBA game and practiced his science of the game on a withered sport.. No other has done as much for the game and he was a quite fine gent as well. Er, you try living as a prominent black man in Boston in the 60′s you might get moody too at times but still in my opinion the greatest. Seen a many played with some loved them all. God bless and enjoy the game root for your team and players it is what sport is all about! FYI Dr J saved the game or Mike would have been an ordinary baseball player if that!

• Kome the Black dumba says:

Did you ever see Russell played live? I saw Mike, Barkley, Bird, Thomas, all the 80s stars live and I just believed what I saw. MJ is the greatest of all time in my opinon.

16. RAWR! says:

that’s amazing now see this….

17. Kobe-RONDO-Pau-Lebron-Carmelo@Manila says:

He is going to LA.. That’s it.. LA will be this year and the next 3 yrs Champion..

• White Mamba says:

Wow! That is the stupidest idea I’ve ever read in my entire life… not unless the LA Lakers can afford to pay 300 Million worth of Tax, then that will happen. hahahahaha!

• Dizzle says:

You need to do research before dismissing a comment. After this season, everybody comes off the books in L.A. but Nash. Rondo’s contract is actually one of the best values in the league…

18. blad says:

one of the best point guard I’ve ever seen RR!!!

19. okc2014 says:

Sorry, don’t believe any of this, not buying it. Rondo will eventually be traded, just like Kevin, Paul and Jason. Hopefully to OKC. Can you imagine that???

• Larry says:

To OKC??? Lol. They traded Harden cause they couldnt afford him anymore. Besides, I dont think Rondo is an upgrade over Westbrook.

• Rondo is not an upgrade over westbrook?!? seriously? you gotta be kidding me…westbrook has all the talent and athleticism…but he is a terrible player…his desicion making is atrocious…reggie jackson has the potential to be even better than him…they don’t need his scoring because durant is there to do the job…rondo fits very well cuz he can distribute the ball to other team mates making them score as well…but when it’s westbrook who has got the ball…he will ball hog his way out just like he did in the NBA finals…good its a thing if hes as clutch and deadly as kobe…but hes not

• jOLAN says:

Rondo is better then Westbrook, but not as much as “Don’t ever CLICK MY NAME!!! (AKA DBAG) says. Westbrook is a way better shooter and scorer then Rondo is. Rondo wouldn’t be more help for OKC. That team needs more scorers. Rondo wouldn’t help them score much more then Westbrook does.

• jc says:

Danny Ainge trusts Rondo and wants him around, and Rondo sees the great potential this team has. Within a few years they’ll be great again, with Rondo still around.

• brolo says:

if he goes to OKC, that means they’re going to need to move westbrook out..I know he used to play SG, but he needs the ball in his hand to be effective

• Another Heat Fan says:

Meh, he won’t stay with a bad roster for long. He might be traded but not to OKC.
      Maybe to the lakers? although i don’t think we’ll live to see the day the celtics give the lakers a star.
      But also don’t underestimate the celtics management. They might be able to put enough pieces around him to make him stay.