Kobe Says Dwight, CP3 Will Stay In L.A.

HANG TIME  SOUTHWEST – For all the tough-love Kobe Bryant has hammered upon Dwight Howard, perhaps the rehabbing Black Mamba has realized he’s got to go a little softer on the sensitive big guy.

The Los Angeles Lakers superstar Wednesday went on the “The Mason & Ireland Show” on ESPN LA 710 radio Wednesday and said he believes Howard will re-sign with the Lakers and offered up this little ego-scratcher:

“It’s not like you have guys like Dwight Howard just walking around every day. Those guys are hard to find. They don’t grow on trees. I think when you have somebody like that, with his talent level, you have to, you have to be able to keep him and lock him in with this franchise, and with the history that this franchise has of having great centers, this would, in my opinion, be the perfect spot for him.”

Hey, sounds genuine. But what about the recent report that Howard and Los Angeles Clippers free-agent-to-be Chris Paul have a rekindled interest to team up somewhere?

“There’s always so much talk going on, especially with big-name guys going here, going there, but that happens once in a blue moon. I think at the end of the day, everybody stays.”

So Dwight sticks with the Lakers and CP3 stays with the Clips — not sure if Kobe’s considering the Doc Rivers and Kevin Garnett angle. So, OK, well see. The countdown to the July 1 start of free agency is officially on. The Houston Rockets and Dallas Mavericks clearly believe they’re still in the running to land the indecisive Howard. The Mavs are rumored to be ready to trade the No. 13 pick in the draft to clear needed cap space to sign him. Bryant said on the radio show Wednesday that he last talked to Howard a couple weeks ago:

“…Just to check in with him, see what he was doing, see what he was up to, see how his summer was going. But I haven’t spoken to him since. I know he’s got a big decision to make and I’m sure he’ll take the visits and talk to the players from the teams that he’s considering. We’ll touch base a lot more.”

Earlier this month, Bryant told ESPNLA.com that “I have to make sure I have the final word” when it comes to lobbying Howard. Mavs owner Mark Cuban recently said the same, that he wants to get in the final word. It might make for an interesting text and/or Twitter battle on Howard’s phone in a few weeks.

As for Bryant’s rehab, he is now being a bit more realistic about targeting his return. Earlier this month he said he’d be ready for the opener in late October. Now he’s thinking it’ll take a little bit longer. He underwent surgery to repair a torn left Achilles tendon in mid-April and the recovery period is typically six to nine months, sometimes longer. Here’s what he’s thinking as of Wednesday:

“I’m shooting for November, December [at the] latest. That’s my goal in my head. That’s what I’m shooting for. I’m really, really determined about getting there. When they think the tendon is strong enough for me to be able to progress to doing really heavy weights and more conditioning and things like that, then it’s on me. I won’t have any fear or any worry of the tendon rupturing again. There’s nothing I can do about it. If it goes again, it goes again. But once I’m ready to go, it’s going to be on.”

And on how it feels at this very moment:

“I think it’s going to be fine. I think it’s going to be more than fine. I’m very pleased with where I’m at. I can get up in the morning and just get up and walk to the bathroom like nothing was wrong. There was a point there where you get up and it’s really stiff because it’s been immobile all night and it’s tough to kind of walk a little bit, but now it feels fine. It actually feels better than it did before I got hurt.”

1. SYDALE says:

Maybe Dwight should go to San Antonio… if they don’t re-sign Ginobili and Splitter… they’ll actually have a lot of cap space…

2. shawn says:

Kobe should take less money so Cp3 can sign and Re-sign D12 for his 6th Nba championship !!!

3. Kal says:

hypothetically what might be great is if the Lakers signed Howard… then traded him to the Heat for Bosh.

more great for the Heat than the Lakers of course but at least the Lakers have something to show.

• ezequiel says:

is good by nash but is crhis paul and ginobili

• BlackMamba In HD says:

Bosh Is Probablyy The Most Overrated PF/C In the NBA . Him N Blake Griffin. Blake Can Only Dunk, Got no Shot Or FT. Bosh Averaged 6 Rebs A Gamee IN The Playoofs. 6″11 Averagin 6. SMH

4. J-Short37 says:

Don’t know what scenario is going to happen but cant wait until July 1 should be exciting

5. Matt says:

I hope the lakers get andre iguodala and nate robinson

6. Pedro says:

The reality is that Kobe can’t carry the Lakers anymore. His body is giving up. He’s a guy that has to post 25-30 minutes MAX per game. If DH stays, he must take a huge step in his offensive game for the Lakers to be contenders again. I feel worried about Kobes departure, cause when that happens LAL will instantly become a lottery team. I bleed purple and gold but we cant hide from the truth forever.

7. bulbulito says:

cp3 should sign with the knicks rather than staying in L.A…
    ..i.,

8. DWHEEL says:

Remember CP3 did want to join the Lakers before David Stern Stopped the deal so it is possible since he’s a free agent that he would sign with the Lakers for less money to team up with Dwight and Kobe.

• Cefri says:

I think kobe should give a paycut to his salary if he wants to win his final championship ring. Then, that might be use to get cp3 to their roster and apparently, dh12 will resign with the team. Kobe should settle for less now so that he can seal his legacy, by getting his 6th this coming 2014 season.

9. J says:

d12 to houston
    cp3 stays
    kobe wait till ur ready dont come back early pull a d rose

10. Danilo B. says:

The only G.O.A.T in the NBA is no other than MICHAEL “AIR” JORDAN :D

11. Danilo B. says:

D12 GO TO CHARLOTTE :D OR TO THE CHICAGO BULLS

12. Kal says:

i hope Chris Paul goes to a contender…

Superboy can fly off into space if he believes he will be happier, make more money and play better there… or he can stay in L.A. or move to more down to earth Houston, whatever, I don’t care…

but i hope the Lakers, with Steve Man Who Deserves A Ring Nash and Kobe going for Michael’s 6, can miraculously against all odds come back next year get to the finals somehow and play… whoever from the East but if it is the Heat, how fun would that be seeing Kobe’s last stand vs. vintage Bron… i know the basketball gods won’t like it but i can dream…

• Joshua Greenfarb says:

Yes. Chris Paul’s best fit (if he leaves LA) would be to join the Thunder. It’s very doable. The Thunder sell out (as far as I know) all their homes games, season and playoffs. Thus, they should be able to afford to pay a few measley taxes.

The Lakers’ payroll this season was dangerously close to the REAL CAP LIMIT $100 Million. If they re-sign Howard, they will likely be over 100 Million.

The Thunder payroll? UNDER 70 Million! The Thunder have around 20 – 40 million cap space (if they amnesty Ken Perkins) to be a major player in this Summer’s FA market.

C’mon, Thunder!! It’s more than worth it!! If they sign Chris Paul and someone like Igoudala, they’ll still have room to re-sign Kevin Martin. Thus, they will build a DREAM TEAM that will dominate the NBA for the next decade. They will win multiple NBA Championships and regular-season #1 seeds! They will rake in all sorts of extra revenues. They can without a doubt afford to invest in Chris Paul. If Paul wants to win the next 10 NBA Championships, he must be willing to accept slightly lesser pay. Totally worth it. Chris Paul starting at PG and Westbrook starting at SG. Thus, Russ will never get injured like that ever again.

13. Kal says:

as a Toronto fan, all i can say is, Miami fan, if you want Bargnani, he’s yours!!

seriously, we’ll give you his contract for nothing!!

but in all seriousness, in a zero pressure situation like Miami, playing with old teammate Chris Bosh, Bargs may get back to… being a seven footer who can shoot threes…

14. FeeLaZone says:

If Boston-Clippers trade will not happen, D12 will go to clippers!

PG: Chris Paul
    SG: Chauncey Billups
    C: Dwight Howard
    PF: Blake Griffin
    SF: Caron Butler

We all know that BG had lack of support under the paint, rebounding, screening, etc.. Now if they will have D12, that would be awesome.. No one can beat Clips. Clippers vs Miami in NBA Finals 2014!

I like to see DJ will be trade for KG or D12. Go Clippers!

15. Us buck says:

LeBron is The G.O.A.T.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. William says:

Jalen heat don’t have enough money

• big wes says:

stop hating on kobe all u LeBron fans don’t forget who lej looked up to & was schooled by in the olymoics kobe taught all of them how to win & work hard and was the teams closer in the 4th this man was hof material 5 years ago & is still the active leader in rings 2 is not 5!!!! and he is coming back with avengence he will get #6 trust!!!!! I know yall hate that!! lmmfao LAKERS 4EVA!!!!!!!!!!!

17. David says:

If Kobe come back, Howard should go and vice versa. Lakers have to choose to build a team around DH or not. Kobe is too old now plus his injury. It could be a silent gap for Lakers to get back as a championship contender, like the time btw Magic’s era and Shaq’s one.

18. Jesus says:

They will stay. Dwight Howard sticks with the Lakers.

19. Jason Wiggins says:

d12 will stay on la lakers and cp3 will stay on la clippers

20. kelly says:

Glad to hear Kobe feels he’s on track. Never doubted for a minute he’d be back and better than ever. My only concern …… drop dwight lakers have no room for crybabys and whiners. You wanna do that go play with lebron and the heat……

• Truth Teller says:

Hey hey hey! They just won another championship! (I wonder do the refs get rings to?) they played such a pivitol part in the game. for the first 6 to 7 mins of the 4th quarter the heat got a call almost every play down.

21. pain@18 says:

Jalen i share your thoughts..
    Pg-cp3
    sg-dwade
    sf-lbj
    pf-cb4
    c-d12
    that would be so awesome..though that stuff only happens in a video game dude..
    They were my line up even b4 the big three..only 3 happened..

22. Stern H8r says:

As always…thanks for inserting a guy who can’t get his team to the playoffs into a week with a Finals Game 7. Who cares what Kobe thinks. He used to be the best…now he ain’t. Are you going to ask Wilt Chamberlain what he thinks?

23. Morlas says:

Kobe should keep his mouth close and let us all finally rest (a little) from him and the Lakers… #Please.

• ijh says:

no 1 cares wat u think!! (the ROCK) u cant stop the black mamba

• Kei says:

Yes, we all saw Kobe fake his injury when the team seems like they are out of playoffs. Kobe is done and all you fanboys can grow up. Win win.

24. Dan says:

Kobe hang it up, your done history shows basketball player’s don’t come back from that type of injury. Just ask Elton Brand.

25. WOW says:

Who cares bout dwightmare and CP3….honestly Kobe saying that he will play without the fear of rupturing it again has put me at ease. The guy continues to impress me, i was almost certain he would be scared to jack it up again, I am impressed.

• skrutz says:

Uh… he’s still injured. And he already backtracked on his “early return”. He wont be the same at all.

26. Mohd Eesa says:

CP3 & DH12 will team up to Charlotte Bobcats…

• 1N87 says:

God that would be AWESOME. CP3 is from NC and I live 20 mins away from the stadium. I’d go to more than a few games a year and be excited for our too be HORNETS!!

27. Jackson Phil says:

DH would rather play with LJ than KB.

If DH decided to re-sign, KB will always tell him what to do

if I was DH, I would go to Miami or Houston or Oklahoma because his basketball styles &IQ will never fit with KB and D’Antoni.

• bballjunkie1 says:

The IQ thing never gets mentioned when talking about these quote un quote superstars. DH didn’t have that kind of basketball acumen in his organization and they won before Boston, Miami got their pieces together. You are right in that he needs a nurturing situation. But does he realize this and is willing to take alittle less to develop? I agree Mchale, would be a good fit because he was a post player and Harden is unselfish shooter.

• Lakersfan says:

So one Ring and he is the best, You let Dwight decide that.

28. Jalen says:

I hope cp3 and D12 go to miami to have the ultimate lineup; cp3, dwade, king james, bosh, and D12

• Ron says:

Jalen ummmmm ur a MORON

• You're stupid says:

Keep playing NBA 2k bud.. Never going to happen lol

• k;j says:

not enough cap space…

• Badidea says:

Who would be handling the ball in that line-up? How many touches would D12 even get? It makes no sense :p

• Nhelzky says:

You’re insane! that is a nba all star first five haha. do it on nba 2k14.

• Mannan says:

Jalen you definitely don’t understand the NBA salary cap haha what does the Miami Heat could offer? It’s possible when Lebron will opt out of his contract by July 2014 and be a free agent. Hence he’s definitely going back to Cleveland that would be the best scenario. You are one big bandwagon so to say.

• Person says:

That will probably never happen…

• Mike says:

Lmao they got no money

• Brandon says:

typical heat fans, they have no idea how the nba works or the concept of salary cap, just used to jumping on the bandwagon when they get superstars, it just shows how much these fans know about basketball before the big 3 came to town.

• Josh says:

Three letters for you pal….. CBA!!

• AJ says:

May be Jalen lives in his own fantasy world. Sometimes I am amazed that there are people like Jalem in this world. Unless Jalen is 12 year old or below, he is a moron.

Back to the topic – Kobe always taks +ve. When the ywere doen 0-3 against Mavs, he was like ” We are going to win this championship”. Kobe is Kobe always talks. Dwight is going to leave and possibly sign and trade. CP3 is eaither going to ATL or staying with Clips.

• Kamil says:

To be honest I hope they spice things up this year. I hope Atlanta creates even more cap space so they can sign Howard, Paul and Mayo.

What you guys think about that? I don’t know if they will be contending right away but they will definitely make the playoffs with that squad.

• Miami Fan says:

Miami doesnt need CP3 or D12, what it needs is more 5s that can stretch the floor and keep the lanes open for DWade and Lebron.
      one name that comes to me ia Bargani, if he can switch up from a 4 to 5 like bosh did. since he ll probably get amnestied by Toronto. I think it would be a good 3 man rotation wit birdman in there.

• Chunk says:

Ugh, As a Toronto fan all I can say is ugh. Stay away from that wet towel. Bargani is a lost cause.

• chalice says:

As a fairweather Toronto fan (have to as I used to live there), Bargnani is a decent shooter and a liability on defense. He did say some questional things abt his team in recent memory but I’m sure he learnt his lesson. Heat need a really good rebounding and defensive minded center. Like a Ben Wallace/Rodman hybrid (if someone like that exists). Heat are fine offensively but everytime their opponents shoot, I keep wondering if the Heat will get the defensive rebound. That I think will make the Heat better next year.

• And when CP3 walks over to the Lakers training camp this summer and then signs for less money just as LBJ did in Miami; to team-up w/ Dwight Howard, Kobe Bryant, and Steve Nash don’t be surprised if the Lakers trade Pau Gasol, Steve Blake, and Jordan Hill for Blake Griffin, Bledsoe, and DeAndre…NOBS.

• Wilt The Stilt says:

Absolutely Disgusting

• Angel says:

Funny , cause the Miami big 3 don’t stay together one more season .

• dymatize says:

your an idiot

29. Canadian Cavs Fan says:

“The Mavs are rumored to be ready to trade the No. 13 pick in the draft to clear needed cap space to sign him.” What kind of cap space are you going to get by trading that pick? That’s not a rhetorical question, I honestly want to know.