No Comparing James Then And Now

MIAMI – The San Antonio Spurs and Miami Heat held practices and met the media Wednesday afternoon at AmericanAirlines Arena, a day before they’ll tip off The Finals. It’s the first Finals meeting between the two franchises who have made it this far a total of nine times now.

But it’s the second time that the Spurs have faced LeBron James in The Finals. San Antonio swept James’ Cleveland Cavaliers in 2007. So, that’s a storyline.

But really, it’s kind of ridiculous to compare 2007 LeBron James with 2013 LeBron James. He might have had 50 percent of his current game back then. Beyond that, he didn’t have the experience that he has now, the teammates that he has now, or the offensive system that the Heat employ to make the most of his ridiculous talent.

The Spurs are much different too. They play a different offensive system themselves, leaning on pick-and-rolls more than post-ups. And they’ve made defensive adjustments over the years as well.

Still, how things are different was a question asked by many people to many others on Wednesday. Here’s what James had to say…

On the difference in himself: “Just smarter. A lot smarter. More experienced. Older. More mature both on and off the floor. And I think that’s the most important thing. I’ve matured as a basketball player. I’ve matured as a man. And it has allowed my game to sprout.”

On how the Spurs defended him then: “They went under my pick-and-rolls and dared me to shoot. Back in ’07, I ran a lot of pick-and-rolls. They funneled me to the sideline with [Tim] Duncan and [Fabricio] Oberto and Bruce Bowen and Michael Finley. Those guys funneled me to the sideline and dared me to shoot it, and didn’t allow me to get to the paint, where I did most of my damage in ’07.

“If you go under my pick-and-roll now, I’m going to shoot. And I’m confident I’m going to make every last one of them.

“At the same time, I also have a lot more weapons this time around, going against this team, where in ’07, they loaded three guys to me a lot on the strong side of the floor.

“I’m a better player and you can’t dare me to do anything I don’t want to do in 2013.”

1. Patty says:

THE NBA GIVES LEBRON JAMES TOO MUCH POWER.

LEBRON JAMES IS NOT THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD AND HE BETTER KNOW THAT.

2. Kimmy says:

Lebron James is the best basketball player right now in the world. The Heat will win. Doesn’t matter if they will in 5, 6, or 7. And I’m not even a Heat fan. Sure wish San Antonio could snag a win, but that’s just it, they will have to snag it. Sorry guys. You can’t handle the truth!

3. kobeballhog says:

spurs should bring back Avery Johnsson, Sean Elliot and David Robinson

4. ApeBron James says:

Arrogance will kill you :)

5. melquin says:

let’s wait and see b4 u talked like that,,,,

6. jLiz25 says:

Why not just appreciate this man? instead of telling that he’s arrogant or something besides, he got point.

7. busa-boss says:

arrogant james…you’re still human and over confident

8. jack23 says:

the difference now is he got a LOT of STUPID HATERS who DO NOT APPRECIATE GREATNESS AND TEAM BASKETBALL, idiot fans WHO ARE JUST BEING ARROGANT to others ACCOMPLISHMENTS, these people are dieHARD jealous and CRAB MENTALITY instill in them,..let the man enjoy his beliefs and lets just watch how he conquer all his trials as he did, be proud of his accomplishments rather than enjoy seeing this man FALL DOWN,..IDIOT and BAD basketball fans are the ones WHO ARE HATING!!

9. anon. says:

lebron has an axe to grind and win this 4-0!

10. larnado says:

i gern with da 4 tim nba season mvp (more in da makin) 1 time finals mvp (couple more on da way)
    yall know da king dem hungry rite now
    heat in 6

11. Cecilia says:

Blah Blah Blah is all I hear

12. sabungero says:

he is a better flopper than he was on 2007

13. realist2013 says:

Too many sports center watchers. Spurs dont get rattled even when they are down 20 with a quarter to go they go to work and show how to get it done. Doesnt matter who they play they dont rely on one player or two to define them. Tim, Manu, and Parker can all sit and they dont lose a beat. tim putting up some career highs on 30 min a game while the heat stars have to play damn near the whole game. Thats not efficient. Will be an interesting series. I put my money on the Spurs in 6

14. 17,6 says:

I will make every last one of them!!! Hahahahahaha that’s hilarious!!!! :)

15. Adam says:

Comparing Lebron then and now? Then he was a Cavalier and didn’t win a ring. Now, he’s switched teams since and played with other superstars and has won a ring. That’s it.

16. bballfan777 says:

Lebron is THAT BEAST! no question. Not even remotely the same player as 6 years ago. This series is not about LeBron. Can Wade (injuries) & Bosh (a SF playing center) support on offense and the scheme keep Parker under control? Wade and Bosh combining for barely 26 points shooting 30 something % won’t get it done.

Still think Heat in 6. Lebron will get his 30, 8, and 6 regardless.

17. Nice Try says:

Heat sweeps in final.

18. ene be a says:

This heat team is now different , so no comparing this heat whit the 2011 heat. Let’s go MVP show them who’s better than Jordan. And Lebron watch your head, I almost hit the rim on the alley oop.

19. jcity yungcity says:

I got spurs in 5

20. just sayin says:

i would like to have the birdman have his ring coz i love how he plays/he played in denver but im a bigger tmac fan so lets get my boy a ring like what you guys did for finley

21. Saeed says:

Heat in 4 or 5.
    Spurs won’t be able to knock this Miami down. I am sure. Only in one case can the Spurs win that in 6 or 7, and that is Heat have Wade and Bosh wildly struggling and the Heat takes nothing from Andersen and its bench.

22. RA-V says:

Let’s go HEAT !!!

23. RJHEATALLDAY says:

You have to admit his shooting percentages are up quite a bit from then. If you play off of him he will torch you! Heat in 5!

24. mary says:

you got this lebron and like he said he has grown in his game, he is simply stating what he is capable of and that is the truth , no arrogance, just confidence and telling it like it is, if i was to go on a job interview and they asked me what my skills were i would tell them everything that i can do , so he is just saying what he can do which is true, shoot the damn ball, which is what he is getting paid to do hell, how is that bragging? he didn’t say oh we going to beat the spurs and sweep the spurs and the spurs is nothing , no he is simply saying what HE CAN DO!!! he not the MVP, the LEAGUE MVP for nothing, trust and believe!

25. CelticsFan says:

This is similar to the 2011 Finals in the two teams that are so different regards to playstyle. Talent vs Teamwork, Star Power vs Fundamental Basketball.
    Should be an exciting series!!!

26. Vanessa says:

That’s my guy! I love the confidence Lebron!!! Heat in 6!

27. Silence I'll kill u says:

Back to back season mvp and back to back finals mvp, got my point?

28. becareful lebron says:

Bron…Confidence is good… But being overconfident could be your ultimate downfall. Be careful because the Spurs don’t say the kinds of things you’re saying….They will simply execute the game plan.

• Hardhooper says:

Nothing he said was overconfident. He said that he’s confident he’ll make his shots. Is he supposed to say i pray i ,ake a shot? Come on , man.

29. lol…without his new teammates…LeBron won’t win it all

• Silence I'll kill u says:

Still hating? Before they got their 1st championship last year, ure the 1st guy made a prediction that they wont gonna win it. Zzz get a life, appreciate. Oopps sorry for ur team being swept on the first round. Excuses? No time for that.

• Kei says:

You know kobe won nothing without riding Shaq and Gasol’s coatail. So much about the “best” player.

• sick says: