Pacers: ‘Battier Is Dirty’

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – The war of words between the Indiana Pacers and Miami Heat should be at full tilt by tip-off tonight in Game 5 of the Eastern Finals, thanks to Pacers forward David West and center Roy Hibbert and their continued sniping about Heat forward Shane Battier being a “dirty” player.

“I always have to have my guard up and protect my knees when he’s on me,” West told reporters today. “He’s got this funny way of moving into your knees, so we’re very conscious of that. So we talk about protecting our knees. It’s an irritant. I’m doubly conscious of it because of my own knee issues (an ACL surgery before last season). You just know the way he plays, he’s trying to make an impact any way he can, so you just have to be prepared for everything.”

“It’s an irritant; when guys are bearing into your knees. I’m doubly conscious of it having an ACL (tear) a year and a half ago. I don’t know (if it’s an intent to injure), I just know the way he plays he’s trying to make an impact any way he can.”

Hibbert offered up his own assessment, calling Battier “dirty.”

“I know what (Battier) brings to the game and it’s worked for him in the past. He has to do whatever he has to do to make sure his team wins,” Hibbert said. “I’m going to watch my knees, watch my groin. … To tell you the truth, I don’t care. I’m in there, I’m playing tough. He has to do what he has to do. Obviously I don’t like it but it’s a part of the game. I don’t want to look back say I gave in to a dirty player.”

This is not exactly breaking news, the Pacers complaining about Battier. Hibbert was on this kick after Game 1, insisting that Battier’s raised knee on a drive to the basket was routine for the veteran forward who is known for agitating opponents with some of his tactics.

But after three players (the Pacers’ West and Lance Stephenson and the Heat’s LeBron James) were fined $5,000 each for flops committed in Game 4, the undercurrent of animosity between the two sides should be intense tonight at AmericanAirlines Arena.

For his part, Battier is attempting to stake out high ground in this totally unnecessary debate about who should or should not be labeled as “dirty.”

“In a perfect world, we’d all love to be stoic, immovable forces where the force of very large men throwing themselves into you doesn’t affect you,” Battier said. “Yeah, that’d be great. But unfortunately, there’s a thing called physics involved that seems to win out more often than not.”

Playoff drama is one thing. Bickering and battling on the court is another. Calling out an opponent as “dirty” and suggesting that his aim to injure someone, however, crosses a line that no one involved here needs to, particularly at such a crucial stage of the series.

It makes for great theater, of course, heading into tonight’s Game 5 showdown (8:30 p.m. ET, TNT) . We’ll find out exactly how the Pacers deal with Battier and how the Heat respond to yet another shot from their new rivals in the East.

1. Rashun10 says:

The Heat do it all they hit players in the back of the head, flop, knock other player down and various other fouls. The look surprised when they get a foul call. Don’t even mention the over penalizing other teams by the refs. Not a Heat or Pacers fan just waiting to see who will play the Best in the West(this year)! I must say these Pacers game has been some of the best Miami games I’ve seen. For some reason Miami games are boring to me, especially with the roster they have. Spurs, Lakers, Rockets & GSW and I’m a Thunder Fanatic!

2. Big Al says:

How pathetic that comment sounds when said by a fellow dirty player. It takes one to know another, doesn’t it. Speak for yourself, West. And how do you explain your teammate Lance?

3. Shane Flopier says:

To those Heat fans that say Shane Battier is not a flopper I got three words: HA HA HA!
    Whatch the countless youtube videos and read the comments on this guy. He has developed flopping into an art form, I’ll give him that.

4. Soft says:

Players, reacting to dirty plays, flopping, pushing, shoving.. If the playoffs their playing right now is dirty, what do you call the era of the 80′s, 90′s? Maybe its your job to outwit your opponent to win a game right? Find a way. Legal or slightly illegal, find a way.

5. iME717 says:

& also Battier isn’t a dirty player, he just acts soft, if he was dirty then why would he flop? How can you be pushed & tossed around but then be a dirty player?…Wade’s been hit in the mouth a lot of times in the past 2 series but still has yet to complain…I hate when I’m playing basketball & people get mad when they get fouled, IT’S BASKETBALL, THAT’S WHY THEY CREATED THE FREE THROW, CAUSE FOULS ARE PART OF THE GAME, IF IT HAPPENS & YOU DON’T GET A CALL DON’T BLAME THE FOULER BLAME THE REF SHEESH, it’s a game of grown men but yet all this complaining, & u fans that are taking the sides of the players complaining, do you wanna watch a game of basketball where contact is illegal?? The only thing that needs attention is the flopping & the refs bad calls & lack of calls, other than that, if you can’t handle the contact you shouldn’t be in the game

6. iME717 says:

Y’all are a bunch of Heat haters, the only flopper they got is LeBron(at times), Battier is not a flopper, if you watch the replays you’ll see that THE FOUL IS THERE, he just doesn’t try to hold his ground, he lets his legs give out so he could fall & bring attention to the foul, if he holds his ground then he’d be letting the Pacers get away with fouls, then he’d might as well put on a Pavers jersey…but for those of y’all that are saying Wade, Allen, & Bosh are flippers? Y’all are just trying to make things up now, they don’t flop

7. alp says:

everybody on this comment page is talking about the biggest flops and suprisingly they are only talking about guys on the heat. as far as flopping goes lance stephenson has earned that title in my mind, and hes actually a pretty dirty player as well.

8. heat rulz says:

The Mia Het are clerely the beter tem because they are beter then Papers Indianapolis. The mia her are best tem in usa.. I thik the mia het will wins the games. I sorry to papers tem because they are good to..

9. Christine says:

Shane Battier is a great player. Pacers should be talking about David West who is so aggressive. Hit Dwayne Wade in the back of the head no flagrant nothing. Also he lower it his shoulder running down the court in Mario Chalmers shoulder nothing happens again. He is the dirtiest player there is always pushing people. I felt the referee are calling the game in Pacers favor because they don’t want to see Miami in the playoff again. If you look at all the games so far Miami got more foul trouble than Indian. Roy Hibbert too pushing Bosh down but Bosh picks up the fouls instead. I think the league should go back and look at them. Wade got a flagrant foul for Stephenson West should have got 2 for Chalmers and Wade. They should call the games equally. Not just for Pacers.

10. josh says:

Shane battier is good and feisty player who will do anything to win and every championship team has players like him. The Pacers just complain about everything because they know the heat are more talented. Just put your hard hat on and play ball.

11. bodjee says:

I think the guy who is issuing fines for flops is himself flopping and is killing the game with his unchallenged opinion. he is proving that he is above the rule of the game.

12. Brenn says:

And believe me when I say that pacers are NOT the only team players who think Battier is a dirty player.

• lol says:

he’s known as one of the nicest guys in the leauge, he knows how to play the game and make some savvy veteran plays

13. Brenn says:

There is no argument. battier is a dirty player. Mostly because he cant do his job against pacers Bigs. Difference here is pacers are asked these questions and are answering them with truth. the dirty plays will not stop them . but miami are babies because they go whining to the refs every time a call his made against them. Over and over again. that is so stupid whwn the chanps whine at refs like that. Yes refs make mistakes but geez i get so sick of Miami going to the refs every time. They do foul people. And west and hibbert are talking about low blows and knees. that is dirty. All players push and use elbows. but hitting the groin area and knees is just wrong.

14. bryce says:

Im a huge, repeat huge miami fan. However im really disappointed in the flopping in this series. Im still a huge lebron fan but i really dont like how he flops, it just makes the comparisn between MJ and any of the other older bball studs a joke when you see how the game is played today. Battier has always been a flopper, one of the best at taking a charge. Thats his game. I dont understand why lebron’s adopting that style of game. Indiana is one piece away from being the best in the east and that piece would be an upgrade at the SG position.

• los says:

i agree but i would upgrade the Pg position…and move g hill to that SG…WE need a pure Pg and handle the pressure…miami is winning off turnovers!!

15. damion says:

SO WHAT ITS MIAMI REF WONT CALL IT ANYWAY!!! HE BEEN DOING IT!! EVERY SERIES EVERY GAME!!! HE FLOPS EVERY GAME! THINGS I SEE WITH MY OWN EYES, LIKE D.WADE TRAVELING ALL THE TIME!!!I SERIOUSLY THINK D WADE THINKGS HE CAN TKAE 5 STEPS TO THE BASKET ! ITS DAVID STERNS WAY HE WANTS TO MAKE LEBRON THE NEXT KOBE BUT IM SORRY YOUR REIGN WILL BE SHORT LIKE A LEPRECHAUN

16. damion says:

I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW CAN SO MANY PEOPLE FAVOR MIAMI AS SUCH A GREAT TEAM WHEN THEY HAVE SO MANY STAR PLAYERS AND WITHOUT LEBRON THEIR STILL A MEDIOCRE TEAM

17. damion says:

I WOULD COMMENT BUT HEN MY NEW YORK KNICKS CAME TO BAKERSFIELD ARENA YOU CHEATED US LEFT AND RIGHT WITH BAD OFFICIATING , AND FOR SOME STRANGE REASON DAVID STERN DIDNT FIND IT OFFENSIVE THAT YOU WERE COMMENTATING ON THE SERIES …REGGIE I JUST WANNA SAY NEW YORK HATES YOU AND PACERS I COULD CARE LESS BUT THIS IS A TASTE OF YOUR OWN MEDICINE U JUST GOT HUSTLED BY DAVID STERN ALL I CAN DO IS HOPE THE NBA WIL TIGHTEN UP NEXT SEASON

18. Magic Jordan says:

If you’re not comfortable with playing a physical game, go play netball.

19. Ryry says:

Bye bye pacer

20. Clear Eyes says:

I don’t see Miami Players, Coaches, or Management complaining after every game… Can’t say that same about the Pacers. Now which team is full of Crybabies?
    Shut up and play the game. Basketball Is Physical. Let it be a Man’s game or stay off the court.

21. hahaha says:

LOL Battier is such a smarta$$, there’s as much physics in falling by one’s own accord as there is in being legitimately run into.

That being said, flopping and dirty play aren’t always the same. Flopping could be considered a type of dirty play, but Wade has examples of dirty plays which aren’t flopping (Rondo elbow, Kobe nose, Collison flagrant, Sessions groin, Stephenson elbow). Not that Wade doesn’t flop though. But I don’t think the flopping is what the Pacers are calling dirty, even though they addressed the issue. They are talking about Battier going at their knees and groins.

22. Maza says:

Battler is not dirty but simply smart! Don’t listen to all this noise Shane and just go out there and be yourself – you shot will come back you’ll see.

23. Cristiano says:

Everyone knows the heat are a flopping machine, LeBron got into it, Wade I’m which he never did before it’s starting to join in on the act. Battier is definitely a dirty player just like Bruce bowen was, now playing dirty hitting a player hard with a foul that’s ok the refs could see it and addressed it. But the little tricks dirty players get away with like an extra elbow to the legs, stomach pushoff but most importantly coming underneath a player not allowing g him to land properly after a jumpshot potentially causing major injuries bruce bowen was a master of this go YouTube.

24. so true says:

I’m not sure what the debate is about…I can’t remember ever watching a game where Shane Battier DIDN”T make at least one play that seemed dirty and unnecessary. It seems to me Battier could have easily been slapped with a flagrant foul in game 1. That being said, I think the officials have had pretty bad with calls both ways, and both teams have done their share of flopping and making dirty plays. I just hope the NBA will continue to work on cleaning up the officiating.

25. fan says:

Battier has and always will be known for being a tough, defensive minded player. You watch replays on any defensive minded player and they’re going to be doing little things to get the advantage over the other guy. It’s what you do to win

26. Mike says:

It is said to see Pacers players calling Battier a dirty player. He is one of the quiet and gentle guy upthere. Please be adult and just play the game. Pacers play a dirty game all the time and try to justify by calling that ” being thought” or hard on Miami….that’s just dirty. Hibbert and West should be ashamed on complaining like that on TV.

27. Freida says:

If you call Battier a dirty player then you have to say West is a dirty player. West is more physical than Battier. That statement and accusation on Battier is just ridiculous. Just play basketball and let the winner (hopefully Miami) emerge.To me the Bulls are a dirty team coached by a dirty coach. That is my opinion. The Miami had to play against the Bull’s team and that was too physical and unnecessary banging. I just don’t see this in the Pacer/Miami Series.

28. Hermie says:

Yeah, how about david west elbow to mario chalmers… How come pacers never look at is as dirty….??? Come on

29. Jay says:

LOLS The Pacers are good but Miami will win. Pacers are crying punks

30. dwight coward says:

So instead of manning up, Miami is flailing all over the place to fool the refs–that is lame and robs the fans of true ball.

31. JD says:

Heck yeah Miami Heats flop!

32. wallyboy says:

shane battier IS a dirty player, so are the rest of the NBA players. unfortunately, NBA is a big boys’ game. i remember when the Nuggets ganged-up on Steph Curry, and the commentators are quick to depend the dirty players. this is a commercially backed game. part of it are the elbowing, pushing, and all the dirty plays. maybe they are loosing the essence of the REAL basketball game. if you really want to watch a REAL basketball game with REAL talents, watch the COLLEGE BASKETBALL. NBA? spectacular, full of talented and amazing players, BUT….you are right…DIRTY…..!!!

33. omyhomyboy says:

If you remember last year, Indiana was just a worse team that tried to play with a chip on their shoulder. What ended up happening was j them pretty much picking a fight because they knew they were going to lose. It was annoying.

This year, they’re a better team. But even though they’re determined to be a “rival” of Miami, it’s pretty obvious who’s going to win…

• NotObvious says:

“it’s pretty obvious who’s going to win”…??? Really? Last time I checked, the series was tied 2-2. We have had 1 blowout victory for Miami, and the rest were tightly contested. The first game was so close that it was decided in the last 2.2 seconds. This could easily be a 3-1 series in favor of Indiana. How do you figure it’s obvious? Miami is hanging on by a thread against a much younger opponent. Everyone outside of Miami can see that.

• RUNEGOOD says:

The 2 games that Indiana has “won” was given to them by the refs with biased officiating in their favor. This series should have been over. 4-0 Miami.

• Karyl Gill says:

Who won the Western conference? It sure as wasn’t the younger talented team #1 defensive team in d NBA, Grizzles.. So I don’t put age as much as I regard experience and wisdom .. So when Mia play as they should Pacers don’t hv a chance in winning this game 5 third quarter has proven that so shut up sit bk and watch Miami do their thing…

• Loki says:

People said Miami was obvious to lose no more games this series after the game three blowout. Indiana won game 4. One thing I’ve learned is to expect nothing and just enjoy the show. This is still anybody’s series with a slight edge for Miami. At this point even though Pacers are my favorite in the east I just want this series to end. Too much Hollywood antics and drama

• 34yr fan says:

Obvious that the Heat can’t play in the paint and will lose because of it , or are you ‘hoping’ that they can make it to the finals by shooting better that their ‘role’ players are at this time??

• 34yr fan says:

If Miami puts a beatdown on the Pacers tonite……Then it might be obvious…..not until then though

• KOBE'S_A_BALLHOGGER says:

SO GUESS WHEN JORDAN WON ALL THOSE RINGS, HE HAD A GREAT TEAM THAT PLAYED IN THE PAINT OR WAS IT BECAUSE HE HAD A GOOD SUPPORTING CAST AROUND THE BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE IN HIMSELF.

• 34yr fan says:

…If you are in the same conference and tied at 2 each in the conference finals after the previous year meeting in the semi-finals….then you are rivals….

34. krespino says:

This is a warning to Battier. All the eyes wil be on Battier from now on to see if he really plays dirty, including the refs. Even if he had the intention, he can’t do it after now.

35. A.J. says:

Notice how Smith doesn’t proffer his own opinion as to whether or not Battier is dirty. Lame.

• 34yr fan says:

….everybody knows it already….that’s why…..it has been the same for all of the stops in this journeymans’ career

36. Bill says:

At one time Battier could move his feet well enough to guard wing players. He can’t do that anymore so now he has to try to guard and rebound with bigger, stronger players and obviously that is a challenge. In this series, he is pretty much a liability since her can’t effectively rebound, defend or hit a shot.

I think it is a mistake for the NBA to allow less talented players to beat on the talented ones that fans actually pay to watch but as long as they call the games the way they do how can you blame Battier for doing anything he can to stay in the league.

37. Game Time says:

David West isn’t exactly the poster boy for fair play, and just got hit with a fine. Give me a break. Miami says anything about another team and “the are soft or crying”. The other team does it and “oh my god you’re so right, they are dirty”. I know the majority of basketball fans hate Miami. It’s all good. Just sit back and watch them come out on top.

• AM says:

I totally agree with you. Everybody always says that miami is a bunch of crybabys, that they flop, etc… But then the pacers are flopping, playing dirty, and complaining, and a lot of fans say that is just tough guys playing tough and that their complaints are justified. Give me a break

• amitpal says:

First off miami is a flopping crybaby, no doubt about that. Battier been a flopper his whole career and still flops. Lebron us starting to flop. Chris bosh is always weaker than his oppenent so he tends to flop. Ray allen and wade do it every now and then. Only problem the pacer r trying to flop to now but they dont know how to. Last game lance tried to flop like 5 times but he doesnt have the experience in it like a battier. Miami does flop and cry but the pace r joining them thinking its not hard if they can get calls so can we unfornatuly pacer arent good at it do to lack of experience in it.

• StupidHeatFans says:

You both forget that the issue of Indiana (flopping?) has only come around since this last game? What would wade getting pushed by casper out of bounds. Oh sorry to you heat fans he tripped right? Dont cry and whine now if another team gives you a dose of your own medicine

• Loki says:

Pacers are my eastern conference favorite, but if I could tell them one thing and it’d be heard it would be “shut up and play!” Miami are crybabies, but right now the pacers are looking pretty deserving of said title too. Sound better?

• AM says:

I`m not saying that miami players don’t flop or any of the other things, I’m not going to start that argument. What I’m saying is that now the Pacers are talking and flopping and nobody says anything about them.

• battier became dirty cuz of the heat’s strategy…he wasnt a dirty player before

• grd2345 says:

NO REBOUNDS = NO RINGS —-Pat Riley

• PACERS!!!!!!! says:

For sure Miami will come out on top in some year in the future, but not this season. They can try to play tough but we all know they’re older and get more muscle fatigue than the younger Pacers. They might have mental toughness tonight but their body won’t be there to do what they think they can do. Especially D wade and CB.

• Tim says:

Pacer is the one become tired in third quarter not Heat. You may be right 3+ years later but not now. Keep fighting with a team bigger than you is not easy.

• Me says:

Miami Miami MIAMI

• Floridian says:

West Kept Elbowing Chalmers even injured his shoulder. Did you hear Chalmers complaining and calling West a dirt player. No. It happend when you lose and look for an excuse.