Air Check: Two Sides To Every Story

HANG TIME NEW JERSEY – For NBA fans like us, there’s nothing better than League Pass. Having the ability to watch every game every night (and then again the next day) is heaven.

Of course, with local broadcasts, you get local broadcasters, which can be good and bad. It can be good, because these guys know their teams better than most national broadcasters. It can be bad, because these guys love their teams more than most national broadcasters. And they’re usually not afraid to show that love.

The national guys aren’t perfect either. And if they’re not careful, they may be featured here, where we highlight the best and worst of NBA broadcasts.

For all non-ABC games in the first round of the playoffs, fans have the option of watching the national broadcast (ESPN, TNT, NBA TV) or their local broadcast. And we here at NBA.com have the privilege of listening to what both sets of local broadcasters have to say about a particular play.

So the following play (a double foul called on Blake Griffin and Zach Randolph in Game 2 of Grizz-Clips on Tuesday) is presented without commentary, just a transcription of the conflicting comments made about the same play…

The Memphis perspective

Brevin Knight: “[Griffin] wraps his arms around Zach … Zach Randolph has two hands in the air. I don’t know how you even foul like that?

Pete Pranica: “It appears as Griffin initiated the contact and Randolph was just trying to protect himself.”

Knight: “And has both hands up. I don’t know how Zach Randolph gets called for a foul with both hands in the air. That’s impossible for that to happen.”

The L.A. perspective

Michael Smith: “I think if we see the replay, you’ll see that Blake blocks him out. Watch what happens afterwards. What does Blake Griffin do wrong there? What does he do wrong? … Watch right there where Zach is hanging on and pulling him back.”

1. Muriel says:

Neat blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download
    it from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple
    adjustements would really make my blog stand out.
    Please let me know where you got your theme.
    Bless you

2. arsicolangbayan says:

IMHO, I’m thinking this one should be a no-call, but since Zach returned the favour, the double foul is just mean. But based on the preceding incident, it’s the playoffs, and it’s the time where guys give everything on the court to gain advantage. If Zach didn’t retaliate, I think it’s a good play. And well, this is one of the more exciting series in 2013 playoffs because of their physicality.

3. Ben says:

Sometimes, I feel like Air Check can get too hung up in homer commentary when I prefer to hear some of the more light hearted, funny stuff going on.

This is not one of those times. This is absolutely brilliant.

For what its worth, I’m a neutral fan here, although I’d probably favour a Memphis win in this series (I just can’t tell my wife, who goes for the Clips). Having said that, I think the Clippers commentary was fairer in this case – quite clearly Randolph did not just ‘have his hands in the air’.

• joadsta says:

I think that the clipper guys got it right this time. Hell, even watching the national broadcast on TNT, they felt that the double foul was a cop out and that randolph should’ve been whistled alone for it. There is no such thing as a double foul. Someone ALWAYS commits the foul first.

Even from the replay, it does look like Randolph grabbed Blake after the boxout. He’s got his arm near Blake’s crotch and got he’s entangled in Blake’s arm while Blake is standing straight up.

4. Dr. O'Neal says:

I think in the boxing out, Griffin had a foul. and then Zach just returns the favor. good double foul call

5. Reggie Evans is an Alien! says: