Metta On Tweeting, Kobe, Dalai Lama

a

SAN ANTONIO - If a tweet falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

“I love when Kobe tweets; he’s a great tweeter,” said Metta World Peace. “I don’t follow him.”

Yes, this is where we are. After two days of Kobe Bryant’s Twittergate threatening to spin the planet off its axis and send it careening into deep space, only one final authority was left to consult. The whimsical, idiosyncratic Bryant teammate World Peace was more than happy to oblige.

Was Bryant out of place tweeting his opinions on the Lakers’ play in Game 1 against the Spurs on Sunday? Did he ruffle feathers with his comments and suggestions for strategy? Was he a distraction?

World Peace, who is active on Twitter himself with more than 582,000 followers and over 2,500 tweets, quickly shook his head and smiled.

“I’m a distraction,” he said. “I’m more a distraction than Kobe.

“I love when Kobe tweets … When I was injured I wanted to tweet. But I know there’s a rule you’re not supposed to tweet until 1-1/2 hours after and from 1-1/2 hours before games. If that wasn’t the rule, I would have been tweeting every freakin’ minute.

“I love when Kobe tweets. He’s a great tweeter. I don’t follow him.”

World Peace said it wasn’t necessary to follow the Mambatweeter, because he could find out what they said by checking virtually any Web site.

“But he should tweet,” World Peace. “Kobe should tweet for Game 2, the whole time, every possession. Critique us, criticize us, chew us out. I’ll direct message him. He should tweet, do Facebook, whatever. If he don’t want to Tweet he should do StumbleUpon. The whole game just stumble.”

Despite his proclivity for social media, Metta only follows four people on Twitter and one of them happens to be the Dalai Lama.

“I haven’t gotten a direct message from the Dalai,” he said. “I’ve sent him a few direct messages, but he didn’t respond. I guess he’s too good for Metta World Peace.”

1. KR450 says:

Fran is clearly desperate to write something about the Lakers if he thinks anyone cares what a brain-damaged clown like MWP has to say. But God forbid a day goes by without some sad attempt to manufacture news about the precious little princesses from L.A. “Kobe tweeted, MWP was asked about it and responded! Oh my God!” How is this news? Or interesting? Everything about this blog bores me.

2. he should just follow Kobe

3. jc says:

something tells me this is def sarcasm

4. Waka Flaka says:

forget twitter. if i wanted to hang on to every single thing kobe says i’d go on twitter and i would follow him on twitter. i do not want to hear, during a game on ESPN, every thing he’s saying. it’s completely irrelevant to the game. the players can’t read what he’s saying. it’s a moot point.

5. Shawn Kemp No. 1 says:

i love Metta!

6. smiley says:

I love Ron Artest / Metta World Peace! I followed him his whole career and he is very entertaining! He played for the 2 teams I cheer for the Bulls and Kings…never played on OKC yet at least! LOL

He says it how it is and journalists can’t get a microphone in front of him faster! LOL

7. NHbleedsGREEN says:

If this isn’t proof that TWITTER is the most useless website ever created idk what is.

8. allanbenson says:

I love MWP. I love the way he plays, and as far as a personality goes, it does not get more entertaining. Here is a man with insane skills and the communication skills of an early teen who is trying harder to combat that shortfall then any person I know.

World Peace baby. World Peace.

9. asdasd says:

i love kobe, but we can’t keep talking about kobe’s tweets..

10. Its2eze says:

World Peace’s opinion on this matter means nothing. He’s not the Commissioner or the league office. Nor is he the coach of the Lakers, whose game strategy may be undermined. If there is a rule about players tweeting during games, it should be followed by all NBA players! Yes, that means Kobe too

Stick to rehab Kobe and leave the tweeting to the fans!!!!!

11. KB all day says:

“He’s a great tweeter… i don’t follow him” Hahahaha!!

12. Stern H8r says:

And the value and justification of this blog is…..? C’mon Fran, have another cup of coffee and try again.

• even tough we all understand the big loss of megamamba,
      I’ll agree with stern on this….. a 5 min no-point quick “article”
      c’mon fran… yet have another one