LeBron’s Not Sweating The Drama

g

MIAMI – Rarely has one designer sweater caused as much discussion as the one LeBron James wore in his postgame session with the assembled media Sunday night.

Only in his world could his wardrobe choice garner just as much attention, if not more, than his near triple double in the Heat’s 110-87 Game 1 win over the Milwaukee Bucks.

But it’s like those T-shirts on every seat at AmericanAirlines Arena said, “Witness Miami.” And this city is bearing witness to the twisted fishbowl that becomes of anything associated with James.

You can debate it all you want … the color of the sweater, whether or not it was appropriate in South Florida this time of year and if James made should have gone with a vest instead of one with sleeves. Just don’t ask James to give it a second thought, because he’s done sweating the drama that used to consume him this time of year (LeBron’s elbow ring a bell?).

Dwyane Wade gave the sweater “two thumbs up” and praised James for having a fashion sense that older teammates like Ray Allen and Shane Battier, who had some fun joking about the sweater, should envy.

“I liked the whole combination,” Wade said. “Bravo. Bravo. I give him two thumps up on his outfit last night.”

Jeff Staple, the founder of Staple Design, loved seeing James “wearing him” on such a big stage. And took to Twitter to thank the Heat’s resident fashion hound for the free advertising.

James said he had no idea of the frenzy his attire caused until he was informed of it at the end of Monday’s practice, when his sweater generated more buzz than his game.

“What’s the big story about it?” he said when asked what led him to that particular choice. “I don’t know, it was just how I was feeling. It’s just fashion. Nothing more, nothing less.”

It’s never that simple for an athlete whose every move, on and off the floor, inspires non-stop discussion. He took just 11 shots in that Game 1 win over the Bucks, a career playoff low, but still managed game highs in points (27), rebounds (10) and assists (eight). Two years ago, when the Heat failed to win a championship, a performance like that might have caused an uproar.

But now that he’s won a championship and the narrative has changed, purists praise James for being the embodiment of efficiency. It’s a drama shift James said he refuses to entertain these days.

“I don’t know, I don’t really … the difference between the past and now is that I really don’t pay too much attention to it,” James said. “I really don’t hear it. I’m so far removed from what’s being said. It’s like this thing about the sweater, until now, I don’t know about what people are saying. I don’t really get involved. I just play my game and do the things I do on the court. It doesn’t amuse me, it doesn’t do anything because I really don’t hear it until I see you guys.”

1. Vanessa says:

kobe may shoot well but lebron does EVERYTHING well!!!!

2. This bruno from BORAT says:

@laker nation Kobe shoots the ball every time… He didn’t defend so well, he doesn’t rebound the ball…. All he manage to do was to hog the ball… nothing more…. even when injured… he doesn’t even let his team mates to play the game on their own… He wants to steal the lights even in bed… That’s how insecure he was to his team mates (howard,Pau)… Go fish with your vino kulafu…. lakers will be swept in 1st round…. loser….

3. laker nation says:

listen people lebron wont have more than 3 rings the guy doesnt have shots he is just strong and athletic by the time is 32 he will have to depend on his shots and trust me hhe wont be that good any more. on the other hand kobe bryant is a future hall of famer. no one in the nba is better then him he can drive in shoot and his clutch. he will do whatever it takes to make his team win. he worked hard for seventeen years. and still playes like his 19. hope u feel better @coach VINO

• My Achilles Hurts says:

He shoots a higher percentage from all over the court than Kobe, who shoots 46% from the field and 32% from 3…LeBron 57% and 40% from 3. But remember he cant shoot..And numbers don’t lie..

• bigwes95 says:

not to mention his post game is still developing and his shot will probably get better, probably not %’s because those are nearly godly levels for a small forward that started his career shooting 41% from the field and 29% from 3. if he could get his FT % up to around 80 or even 85, then he would definitely be unstoppable with these percents. not like he isn’t already though . . .

4. jose says:

Where is “DON’T EVER CLICK MY NAME YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED?
    iS HIM GETTING READY TO GO fishing ?

WHERE ARE YOU , Lakers fan ?

5. Jack says:

Haters, get life dont mind those past players coz they did not do you good too as a fan, they corrupted your eyes just to adore what you call a past things,..face the future of basketball, a team basketball as LBJ is doing, not just one man show,..you keep on hating LBJ but you are always here at the blogs about the man, get over the HATE,..live happy HATRED FREE life people,..dont be jealous of this guy!!

6. sanjay says:

6 is difficult unless they can do a 3 peat here! But you never know! 4 must be within his reach! If he can play another 10 years who knows?

7. Patty says:

MR. SMITH, DON’T FOOL YOURSELF.

LEBRON WANTS TO HAVE AS MANY CHAMPIONSHIPS AS MICHAEL JORDAN & KOBE BRYANT.
    HOWEVER, THAT WANT HAPPEN!!!

8. W/E says:

OMG that outrageous shirt, how he appearing live with that? Thats AT LEAST a 5k fine.

9. Kobe Bryant says:

It has “South Beach” written all over it.

10. Chris says:

Sekou… Smh, I understand. This piece though…sigh.

11. Chris says:

Hate his game, hate his team but please stop nitpicking everything else about him. I’m not even a big enough fan to watch him play but I actually find his off court personality to be fun, totally a guy you’d wanna hang out with regardless of his fame.

12. rondo says:

That shirt looks ridiculous but it matches south beach.