Leaner D-Will Looks Like His Old Self

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – Rarely has one dunk seemed like such a revelation.

But in the case of Brooklyn Nets point guard Deron Williams, his first dunk of the season (above) is an indicator that he is ready to resume his elite point guard ways at just the right time for the Nets.

The playoffs are just a couple of weeks away and the Nets are getting their All-Star point guard back from the ankle issues that have plagued him since the summer.

If you need proof that the dunk (and what it signifies) was a big deal, just look at the reaction of the Nets’ bench. They went crazy when Williams used a crossover to break down the Cavs’ Wayne Ellington and slip past him for the one-handed jam. It reminded me why Williams has always occupied a spot alongside Chris Paul, Rajon Rondo, Tony Parker, Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook in the discussion of the best point guards in the league.

“When he’s right, he’s as good as anybody in the league,” a Western Conference scout said. “And there is no doubt he’s back in great shape and leaner and quicker than he was earlier this season. He’s looked great recently.”

The 20 pounds Williams has shed since the All-Star break helped rescue him from what was shaping up to be the worst of his eight seasons in the league. He went into All-Star weekend averaging 16.7 ppg and 7.6 apg while shooting 41 percent and 35 percent from 3-point range, all while laboring his way through his 36 minutes a night on those damaged ankles.

Cortisone shots that began in October didn’t help initially, but after combining those shots with platelet-rich plasma injections to both ankles, helped turn things around for the Nets’ catalyst and leader.

In the 21 games since the break, Williams is playing much better. He’s scoring at a higher clip (22.2 ppg) and shooting it much better overall (47 percent) and from deep (43 percent) as the Nets have stabilized things and ready for a first-round playoff challenge that could see them hosting the Atlanta Hawks.

“I think it’s a combination of everything,” Williams told Stefan Bondy of The New York Daily News about his second half resurgence. “I’m able to do extra work now, things I wasn’t able to do before (because of the pain). All I could do is play games. I couldn’t put extra shots up. I just had to go home.”

The longer Williams keeps up his current play, the longer it’s going to take for someone to send the Nets home in the playoffs.

1. Pretty part of content. I simply stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to say that I get in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing in your feeds or even I success you access constantly fast.

2. tanibanana says:

After watching the video, I feel sorry for Utah..
    that 8th spot could have been locked by now to them.
    tsk.. tsk..

3. BlackAttorney says:

@W/E I promise you know nothing about basketball if you so blatantly say that. I don’t even know why I’m taking my time out to write this, but you are delusional, and you should only comment about a sport that you have knowledge on

4. richard from new jersey says:

WOW he lost 20 pounds that’s great. championship if the nets can defend the paint well. Gerald needs to step up his production d-will, brook and joe all need to be in the same page and all play in a all star level. and once in awhile get role player like Marshon,Blacthe,evans bogans to have big games somtimes

• Joshua Greenfarb says:

Hey, now that the Nets don’t have to play the Lakers anymore this season, they have a legit chance to go VERY FAR in this year’s playoffs!!!

I’d love to see a Thunder vs. Nets Finals … but I don’t think any East team can beat the Heat in a playoff series … but we’ll see!!
      :-)

5. LetsBeReal says:

First of all, Deron Williams has been on the list of top point guards way longer than Westbrook or Rose. He was injury plagued and stuck on team that just moved to Brooklyn and got some quality pieces but to go as far as saying that they could win the championship if Lopez and Blatche play well along side Williams is a little bit to far fetched, and especially not this year. Lopez (7’1”) improvements in the post and the interior has been good, but he barely averages 1.5 rebounds more than DWYANE WADE, a shooting guard who stands at 6’4” (but we all know he is 6’3″). Blatche has a terrific touch and ball handles for a guy his size but both Indiana and Chicago would nullify the Nets front court with Hibbert/West and Noah/Boozer/(Gibson) respectively. Against the Heat they stand next to no chance because Miami deals with big men by forcing them out on the perimeter with Bosh, Lewis and LeBron (when used as PF). Now with the already low rebounding numbers for Lopez, I don’t see him having the impact, which he probably should, against a smaller team like Miami.

6. Joshua Greenfarb says:

I knew I was right!! I knew the LA Lakers were cheating … but maybe not this BADLY!!

Something has to be done about this. NBA referees need to be careful. If they keep calling LA Laker games like in Laker favor, certain people are going to get in a lot of trouble.

7. Joshua Greenfarb says:

Mark this down in the history books!!

The LA Lakers CHEATED to try to get into the 2013 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can never rake across the shooter’s arm clearly when the shooter goes up for a shot!!

WHY DO THE REFS blatantly call games in favor of the Lakers????

WHY REFS WHY????

8. Joshua Greenfarb says:

The LA Lakers have cheated their way to multiple wins this season because they know they can’t make the playoffs if they play a real, fair game!!

9. W/E says:

Come playoff time Deron Willaims is going to prove again why he is not and NEVER was a top Point Gaurd..the guy is ok and can have some good games but definetely not the guy that will lead his team to championships, sorry but D-Will is definetely NOT in the top 5 PG of the league and certainly not a guy who has potential to be the main guy for championships, there are so many good players in the league D-will is steps behind.

10. Joshua Greenfarb says:

THEY JUST NOW TOOK THE VIDEO DOWN!!!

Someone wants to hide how often the Lakers have cheated this season!!!

• Joshua Greenfarb says:

Well, that was the other one he took down to claim credit.

This YouTube video seems to be working great!!

11. Iman says:

Deron Williams is going to prove why he is the best PG in the NBA come playoffs.

12. Iman says:

A fully healthy Deron Williams and Blatche playing quality minutes with Lopez in the playoffs and the Nets can win the championship.

13. Iman says:

A fully healthy Deron Williams and Blatche playing quality with Lopez in the playoffs and the Nets can win the championship.

14. Willy says:

Good for DW! Man he took some heat from the press, you boneheads are relentless. Now he is one of the best point guards in the league again just because you decide to write something nice about him.