Adelman May Quit As Timberwolves Coach

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Timberwolves coach Rick Adelman, after twice contemplating quitting this season, may resign in the summer if his wife continues to have health issues, he told NBA.com on Thursday.

Adelman left the team for three weeks — 11 games — in January. “They’ve been terrific with everything,” he said of management, as wife Mary Kay was hospitalized and doctors tried to determine the cause of seizures. Now, clearly worn down by difficult months on the personal front and a challenging season on the court as the Timberwolves drown in a flurry of injuries, he admitted, “there’s a couple times I really struggled whether I should come back.” He later added: “I’m sure I’ll be thinking more about it as we move on here (through the season).”

The eighth-winningest coach in NBA history, and second among active coaches behind only Denver’s George Karl, said Mary Kay is “doing better” and “maintaining right now. She’s just on a lot of medicine. We’ll just have to wait and see. We go back to the doctor in April and see what they have to say.” When asked about the possibility of not returning in 2013-14, Adelman told NBA.com, “I think it’s something I’m just going to have to sit down with my wife and family and just talk about and see where we’re going with this. The most important thing is where we’re going with her health. Whatever happens will happen naturally.”

Is resigning a distant consideration? A serious option?

“It’s unfair for me to talk about that when I’m asking these guys to finish the season off and compete,” Adelman, a private man, said before the Timberwolves played the Kings at Sleep Train Arena. “And that’s all I’m trying to do now. I think there will be a right time to look at everything. I don’t want to really talk about those types of things until it’s done.”

Minnesota went 2-9 in his absence in January with assistant Terry Porter, the interim coach. By Thursday afternoon, before the Kings game, they were 23-42 in a season that began with hopes of the playoffs but turned into a series of injuries that decimated the roster.

1. Ronn Green says:

Hey Scott;

Very old news for T-Wolves fans!!

2. ko0kie says:

bad fortune for the wolves.. they looked like the 8th seed in the west.. kirilenko und budinger really gave them a lift.

3. Kari says:

Adelman is a great coach

I liked how Adelman coached the Kings during their heyday. But, what was even more impressive was the job that he did in Houston. He inherited a team that had Yao/McGrady as its core, but lost both of them to injuries. By any measure, he had a bunch of role players and coached them to a winning season. And they played exciting up-tempo basketball to boot. He did not complain, whine about the players. The players loved him, and he was very loyal to his players.

Minnesota can not find a better coach than Rick Adelman, and with a point guard like Rubio, he would do wonders. It takes a couple of years for the key players to become really comfortable with his offense, and start to have confidence that they are good enough to beat the best teams. He did in Houston with a rag-tag group, and he can definitely do it in Minnesota. I hope his wife gets better.

Kari

4. Valentin Holmes says:

NBA Stars and their egos….. http://bit.ly/Za44wV

5. Batum says:

Adelman is a great coach but if he leaves I would like to see Jerry Sloan to sit on the bench. It could fit so well with Rubio, Pek, Love and AK47.

6. jmndodge says:

Not good news but not unexpected. You have to admire his style, success and ability, but even more his determination to put his family ahead of basketball. He will be fine financially – has accomplished significant coaching milestones – but the combination of injury’s to the team, and as well as health problems at home makes this a serious decision to make Best to you coach.

7. ELISEO SORIANO OLDPATH says:

Trade RUBIO he is Overrated, Nate Robinson is far better…
    Nate is able to help the Bulls to the Playoffs…

Rubio can go back to Europe for an Easy schedule,
    his body is not fit in the NBA, only KAHN belives in him.

8. N_Ace says:

The right thing to do is to Quit after this season, or whenever he thinks is necessary. There are larger things in life than basketball.

9. lodz says:

no more corner offense for twolves….

10. rowdyrush says:

One of the best coaches in the league. He deserves to be inducted in the hall of fame. If this guy would have been in a big market franchise, theres no doubt in my mind he would have won multiple titles. Prayers to him and his family

11. rach says:

noooo hope he stays with them wolves :(

12. G says:

Adelman should do what he wants and foremost what is best for his personal situation and his family. We can only hope they find a way to deal with all of this and wish him and his wife all the best.

13. G-money says:

He would be a perfect fit for the Lakers, but we’re stuck w/ D’antoni’s weak coaching skills

• Dan the man says:

D’Antoni doesn’t even coach. It’s well known that he doesn’t coach defense. The Lakers aren’t running his offense. What does he actually do?? He’s just an overpaid cheerleader.

14. Zach Yiu says:

We can wait Rubio, Also can wait coach Rick Adelman!

15. rizzy says:

biyotch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. kevin says:

come to the clipps next year! haha i wish

17. Chris says:

It’s sad that nothing has worked for the wolves this year, and now a great coach could be leaving? Much respect to Adelman for putting his family first though and I hope the Wolves can come back strong next year. I’m not a dedicated fan but I admire them continuing to push with the most beat up lineup in the league. Definitely a team I’d love to see in the playoffs next season

18. Adam says:

Go To The 76ERS!

19. Spire says:

Easily one of the best coaches in the history of the sport. Sad to see one of the greats leave, but family comes first. Adelman should have a few rings with the Kings too, but fixing games for lakers was disappointing and left one of the great coaches of all time without a ring. Stick with your family now. Adelman’s done enough and has gone through enough bull in this league.

20. Hannah says:

Go to SAC!

21. Anonymous says:

brandon roy is a curse whereever he goes…

22. Steven says:

Whatever Adelman has to do I respect him. Bottom line is I send my prayers to him and the family for the health of his wife.

23. He’s the best coach on the Wolves, @ least he didn’t get fired last year