Setback Could End Bynum’s Hope To Play

HANG TIME SOUTHWEST –  Confident just 10 days ago that he would play this season, injured Philadelphia 76ers center Andrew Bynum now has serious doubts after another setback.

Bynum said he has swelling and discomfort in his right knee following last week’s limited practice sessions with the team that sparked hope that the 7-footer would soon make his season debut. Bynum addressed the Philadelphia media Friday and said his hopes for playing are diminishing.

“Now it’s getting really late [in the season], so I really don’t know,” Bynum said. “It’s [not playing] definitely a thought. It’s my body. It’s my knees.”

Asked if he’s concerned that he won’t make it back this season, Bynum said, “I’m not really concerned, it’s more frustrating. You work to get to a point and you have to back down so it’s kind of tough.”

Bynum has missed the entire season with bone bruises in both knees. He believed that rehabbing and rest during the season would get him back on the court pain-free, a precondition that he said is mandatory for him to put on a Sixers uniform for the first time this season.

“That’s true, I don’t want to play in pain,” Bynum said. “I still think I can play, but like I said, the season is short.”

Philadelphia is headed for the lottery as this frustrating year continues to slip away. The Sixers have lost seven consecutive games and are six games out of the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference with 26 games to play.

The Philadelphia front office hoped to see Bynum play at some point this season to have a better working knowledge of his health and to better prepare for what is going to be a difficult decision-making process this summer. Bynum, who is owed $16.9 million this season, becomes an unrestricted free agent in July.

Just 10 days ago, Bynum felt good enough to declare that he’d “definitely be back some time” this season.

Bynum, who played in 60 of 66 games last season for the Los Angeles Lakers after several injury-plagued seasons, would be in line for a max contract had he remained healthy. Obviously now, the Sixers and every other team interested in the skilled big man will carefully have to weigh risk versus reward.

Bynum said he’s not concerned about his next contract.

“Being healthy is more important than everything else,” Bynum said. “If I’m healthy I’ll get a deal, but I have to be able to play. I need to get to the point with body that I’m able to play, however long that takes.”

1. iSHAQ or SHAQTOLOGY says:

Let Andrew Bynum team up with Eric Gordon in Detroit Pistons…
    They will Both sign BIG Contracts and wont Play…

They are both Certified BUMS in the NBA….
    LAZY… not worth it….
    HORNETS release Gordon…. he is Stupid…

2. Bob M says:

This is a mess. They gave up Iggy to get him, too. You would think that the league would have some recourse for someone like him. Philly is double-decker s**t sandwich. Or, since it’s Philly, the Philly S**t Steak.

3. W/E says:

Bynum is a CLOWN…the guy has no desire to come back and play, i bet he really loves the current situation, getting payed millions while doing NOTHING.

4. BeatHoustonGuy says:

seriously the clown still wants to play?? made the sixers really bad in their standing..whhew..diva howard was able to bring some points/wins to the lakers..but this clown still really makin bigbucks..haha only a clown will take him though..bynum is gone-its good lakers was able to send this guy or good..hmmm how about trading dumbtoni to your coach doug, sixer’s fellows??

5. Willy says:

Feel for Dougie man, not a good situation to put your head coach in. Can completely understand his complaints, if he gets fired over his complaints, that means the Big Clown has become DH Superman status. Don’t give up the bowling career, can you bowl in pain? Bowling Poster Boy! Nice!

6. MJfromOKC says:

Bynum is a lazy unmotivated center. The Sixers got shafted so bad in this deal if I were Doug Collins I would write a nasty letter of resignation to their management and tell them to have fun with their team.

7. Black Mama Worm 24 says:

Was That Don King??? gee Never thought Don king was in Basketball…. Add a few gray hair….

8. Game Time says:

Bynum is the poster boy for NBA welfare.

9. theholyspectator says:

must be nice not having to work and still collect millions of dollars,,,

• Anonymous says:

Completely ridiculous. Sign and trade this guy. He looks like a clown. Too much time in Lakerland. Knee injections, take the season off, then reward me with a max deal. Would not want this guy on my team. He does not play defense nor does he care about winning. Send him to the d-league and let him prove himself if he wants to play in the N.B.A.