Deadline Passes Without ‘Smoove’ Move

From NBA.com staff reports

Days, weeks and, in some cases, months worth of hype¬†about the future of Josh Smith in Atlanta ended up being just idle talk. The Hawks’ star forward was the centerpiece topic on trade deadline day 2013, yet will play out the season in Atlanta — a move that surprised many observers around the league. Leading up to the trade deadline, Smith — an unrestricted free agent this summer — had been mentioned in possible deals with Brooklyn, Phoenix, Milwaukee and a host of other cities.

Our own Sekou Smith heard rumblings as of deadline day that Boston and Phoenix were making a push for Smith. But perhaps most valuable to the Hawks in a new NBA economic world is the cap space they’ve created for themselves with last summer’s trades of big earners like Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams. Atlanta has hopes of a spending spree of sorts this summer on a free-agent class that includes the Lakers’ Dwight Howard and the Clippers’ Chris Paul. And, as Smith himself told NBA.com: “Atlanta will be on my list in free agency.”

While the man known as “J-Smoove” is staying put in Atlanta, there were a few deadline-day deals. You can get a full recap on all of these and others on our Trade Tracker, but here’s a quick look:

1. finansowa says:

My brother recommended I might like this blog. He used to be totally right. This submit actually made my day. You cann’t consider simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

2. joey boy says:

ATLANTA can sign DREW GOODEN & GILBERT ARENAS
    HAWKS needs a veteran players…….

3. jeremy says:

they had to watch chris smoove, the damn editors and atricle writers watch chris smoove lol

4. AussieCeltic says:

Yeeeeaaaahhh! Now THAT’S a good trade! It’s about time Danny Ainge pulled off a good trade. Kendrick Perkins trade… HORRIBLE

5. raps says:

raps will make the playoffs…book it

6. Aydin Mamedov says:

For me this confirms the Rockets will sign him in the summer.

7. OctoPPus says:

OKC should’ve kept Maynor …. he’s a better pointguard than appear to be ….
    Brewer ?? – no,no….

8. All this talk for nothing, see this is why I don’t buy into the hype. I just wait until the results are in.

9. I wanted Paul mishap for amare

10. theholyspectator says:

so josh will then just walk after season is over? since atlanta dont wanna give him the max contract?? lol so basically atlanta flopped? am i missing something here?

11. Jim says:

Talk about a very underwhelming deadline this year role players traded for role players.At least we got the harden and for me as a raptors fan the rudy gay deal

12. flamar says:

the wizards are so stupid. how to you trade one of your good players for an injured barbosa, and jason collins.

13. OctoPPus says:

Celtics create an impression they r just playing without an aim for a result – used to be my favourite team (with big 3 – they did it then !) – now, after loosing Allen (i understand why he left) and Rondo, instead of finding a replace – looks like they don’t hurry to compete – sorry fans, but it’s boring watching them …. what’s the point to support when u know they don’t got the firepower to win ???

Last playoffs – the best example – let Rondo play x3 and carry the team ??? I love him – but 1 man is 1 man … lol ….

Give KG to Clips – at least I’d be very glad for him to have a real chance for the Ring …

14. angel says:

its called bein loyal no like ;lebron

15. Hrvoje says:

u know….

16. YouKnow says:

He said more u know than A.I. said practice in one interview!

17. Martin says:

I think Josh should have moved to Celtics. Hawks are and will for a very long time be in the shadow of almost every team on the East. He is a All-Star type player with great qualities and Hawks is not the right team for him.

18. Nelson Kane says:

That’s a smoove maneuver (chris smoove = beast)

19. Julius says:

I would have wanted Dwight Coward out from Los Angeles. He’s a big cry baby who hasn’t significantly contributed to the Lakers. Instead of working on his free throws, all he did was whine like a monkey.

20. LabMonkey says:

Jordan Crawford for Leandro Barbosa? How on earth could the Celtics pull off such a deal, are the Wizards on acid?

21. Ed says:

Make a cross-team trade that moves Smith to Celtics and Garnett to Clipps!!