Duncan Injury Packs Worry For Spurs

a

SAN ANTONIO — As if they didn’t have enough to lug around on a nine-game trip that will keep them away from home for most of the month, now the Spurs have to pack concern about Tim Duncan’s health.

There was a collective gasp at the AT&T Center when Duncan went down with just over four minutes left in the second quarter and had to be carried off the floor by DeJuan Blair and Stephen Jackson. Then there was sigh of relief when teammates later saw him walk out of the locker room under his own power without crutches.

“He’s fine. He’s fine,” said Tony Parker. “It’s nothing big. I’m sure [coach Greg Popovich] is going to be very cautious about his knee and we’ll see. He was pretty positive.”

The early diagnosis was a sprained right ankle and sprained left knee. But, one week after Rajon Rondo walked away from what was first thought to be a minor injury and then found out that he’d torn his ACL and was lost for the season, the Spurs will not rest easy until Duncan undergoes an MRI.

“That was scary when you see that,” said Wizards coach Randy Wittman. “Those are always the ones you don’t want to see when a guy falls into you while your feet are planted on the ground. I just talked to his doctors and they said he is going to be fine. That was not a pretty thing to see.”

It was clear that Duncan’s injury affected the rest of the lineup. After building a 27-point lead in the first half, the Spurs lost focus and let the Wizards get as close as six points early in the fourth quarter.

“That’s going on through everybody’s mind …What’s happening?” Jackson said. “To have our best player go down like that, holding his knee and his ankle it’s frustrating.

“Nobody really seen him at halftime, because he was in [the training room] trying to figure out what’s wrong. I don’t really know the in’s and out’s of what happened, but I seen him walk out of here, so that’s always good.”

Washington’s Martell Webster drove to the hoop and had his shot blocked by the Spurs’ Kawhi Leonard. After Webster went to the floor, he rolled from behind onto Duncan’s ankle and knee. The big man stayed down on the floor as play continued to the other end where Danny Green scored a layup. Parker then took a foul to stop the clock as the Spurs’ medical staff ran onto the floor.

Duncan was making his return after missing four straight games with a sore left knee. He had eight points, five rebounds and two assists in 13 minutes. Duncan had said that he could have returned for Wednesday’s game against Charlotte, but instead settled for three more days of rest. He’s averaging 17.5 points, 9.8 rebounds, 2.74 blocked shots per game this season and was recently named to the Western Conference All-Star team for the 14th time in his 16-year NBA career.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen Timmy like that,” Green said. “I’ve seen him hurt before, the bumps, the bruises. He usually gets right back up. I figured today he was feeling good leg-wise. When we started out, he was playing well, back in rhythm. Seeing him go down, feeling as well as I thought he felt, kind of sucks, not just for him, but for us. We’re gonna need him. On this nice little road trip, a guy like that could help.

“I didn’t get to see the play. I heard it was his knee and ankle at the same time, which seems kind of weird. I don’t know how it happened. I had never seen him get carried off the floor, so I hoped it wasn’t serious and that we would have him at least for part of this road trip.

“We seen him right after the game. He seemed OK. Timmy’s always optimistic. It didn’t seem like it [was serious], but you never know with Timmy. His expressions don’t really tell you what’s going on. He’s always optimistic. He’s one of the greatest guys ever to play this game because he’s a pretty tough guy. He’s played through some pain and some injury, so he’s probably not going to show you he’s hurt like that, even if it was serious. But I think he should be OK.”

1. big cat says:

they’ll be fine , there gonna win the championship this yr . further cementing the big fundamentals legacy as the GOAT
    BIG FUNDAMENTAL = GOAT

2. OctoPPus says:

that looked not so bad – I don’t wanna say it’s a easy one – but come on – there are WORSE , more worse injuries – I’m sure he’ll be back – I want him back – or else it won’t be so interesting OKC vs Spurs in West Finals )))))))))))))))))))))))

3. Macky says:

Hope Timmy is ok. Not a fan of the Spurs but I hate seeing key guys get injured or hurt especially when the team is playing great basketball. Spurs OKC WCF rematch. Hopefully the refs actually call the games fairly this time, ahem game 5 and game 6. ESPECIALLY GAME 6.

4. kg says:

I hope this is a blessing in disguise. Timmy takes another 2 weeks off for the sprains and comes back completely refreshed after taking almost a month off.

5. Spurs Logic says:

This team can do good without him, it’s just that they don’t try

6. cedric says:

This is why they need to get another big man that can score and play like Tim did ten years ago.They are going to wait until he really gets hurt and they are going to be in trouble.David Robison left ten years ago they need someone who Tim can help groom before its to late. Go Spurs Go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Raps4life says:

No worries just means Blair is no longer available. Srups keep rolling

8. Ginobili says:

Oh Fran. Always ready to write the Spurs off at the first sign of trouble. Why don’t you write off the Lakers in such fashion? Why doesn’t anybody? Guess you just needed to meet your quota for NBA.com.

9. Lawson Adesokan says:

I am hopeful he will be fine by God’s Grace. This year will be our year jnj

10. MBA says:

NEW ORLEAN HORNETS, MAGIC ORLANDO, SACRAMENTO KINGS future trade:
    M.Thornton, Tyreke Evans, Aaron Brooks for NOH..
    Eric Gordon, DeMarcus Cousins, A.Aminu for ORLANDO..
    H. Turkoglu, A.Afflalo, N.Vucevic for Sacramento Kings…

The three teams will get an advantage!!!!

11. Dr C.Goode says:

With the way Spurs are playing without him they’ll still win their division comfortably, so as long as he’s fine for the Playoffs ring #5 is a distinct possibility. Spurs are the only team out west that can beat OKC in a best of 7, clippers are too raw and inexperienced.

12. TD_fan says:

I hope he’s fine…

13. lol says:

Duncan should take his time and come back 100% stronger and better even if he misses the rest of the season, it’s better to give away no.1 seed or even no.2 but have your guys healthy and ready to win.

14. makeDUmbtonileaveLA says:

Kick Dumbtoni out..make him sweep the floor or sell tickets if he wants to stay in LA.

15. Fefe (Nets) says:

I hope that he’ll be fine!!! The most important for the Spurs is having Manu, Timmy and TP at top shape when the playoffs will start

16. Ped says:

Take a rest.

17. MrNBA says:

Webster possibly ended the Spurs’ run for a title this season. Just like Horry ended the Suns’ title run a few years back. Only Horry did it intentionally.

• RG says:

and Webster possibly did not end it. the fact that Duncan was able to walk on his own in the locker room is an encouraging sign. and comparing this to what happened to Rondo last week does not mean it’s the exact same thing. it’s more likely Duncan will be fine, but will be out for possibly a few weeks. however, that should not affect the Spurs’ run for a title this season since it is not April and May yet. and why bring up the Horry incident? comparing that with this is simply idiotic. sorry, but it’s true.

18. ion57 says:

Fran, don’t get carried away. The spurs will be fine, as soon as their winning streak is snapped it will be blamed on duncan’s absence, but in reality if the spurs lose – its more than 1 spur not doing his job. Same to be said when they succeed, this team does not rest on his shoulders thank God – each spur makes a significant contribution – I’m not worried about this – I hope Duncan gets better and they will step up – thats all. Rajon Rondo on the other hand is integral to the success of the Celtics because of his position and playmaking abilities. They don’t have the depth the spurs have and will be in very big trouble come playoff time if they make it.

19. TG says:

I wouldn’t worry just yet, I have all hopes that there’s no tear, and hope the injuries are not very serious.
    It would be panic if this was late March/early April right now, but again we don’t know how long this will keep Duncan out.

• Rols says:

Let’s wish Timmy a speedy recovery and hope that the road trip just creates more chemistry between the rest of the team so that the march to the Finals will go on regardless… Go Spurs go

• James says:

Well, I’m going to worry until I hear the MRI results and the doctors report that it’s not serious and that Duncan’s okay.