White, Rockets Reach Agreement

HOUSTON – Already on the same team since they drafted him with the No. 16 pick in the draft, the Rockets and Royce White might finally be on the same page.

White and the club released a joint statement Saturday that says they have “an agreement that addresses the major issues,” that White is no longer suspended and will be immediately reinstated to the roster.

The rookie forward has agreed to report to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the NBA Development League on Feb. 11, after first working on conditioning in Houston. The Vipers have a home game against the Maine Red Claws on Feb. 12.

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey and White did not comment on the agreement. The settlement was approved by the NBA office and the players’ union.

After months of acrimony, which included White taking to Twitter to accuse the Rockets of “inconsistent support” for his generalized anxiety disorder, the settlement at long last gets a player the Rockets had rated as among the top five talents in the 2012 draft.

Despite his individual skills, White’s stock had dropped in the draft due to his mental condition as few clubs were willing to even consider the special circumstances that would be needed to deal with the player’s issues, which include anxiety over airline travel.

White surprised the Rockets by not reporting to training camp and then, after what appeared to be a truce, left them again in early November, accusing them of not agreeing to a special set of “protocols.”

White had resumed individual workouts with a member of the Rockets staff while the team was on the road during Christmas week, but was suspended on Jan. 6, a week after refusing an assignment to the Vipers. Morey then said they were suspending White “for refusing to provide services as required by his Uniform Player Contract.”

Now, three months into the season, the battles might finally be just about basketball.

1. willie says:

i’d be happy to see white’s butt get kicked by the NBA…. white = crybaby

2. Alfred says:

I am going to say what the NBA can’t say. The NBA, gave this man a chance to make some real money to show off his talent. He’s unable to play the game, because of his condition, move him to the side and allow the next player in line to take his place. Why are they going through all of this with a player anyway, there are millions of players, wish that they had that opportinuty to get paid, doing something you may have done for free all of their lives. There’s no way in the world, if I were the commissioner of the NBA, it would be a no brainer. If the player can’t make it to work, when the league provide that player with transportation, he need to be fire on the spot……

3. Baller says:

White has been through a lot in his life, and he has been brave speaking up about it ( http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7505656/iowa-state-royce-white-battle-college-basketball ) Houston is a great club for having the courage to invest in White. They knew his medical history before engaging him, they are probably prepared about all this saga. I believe they can get him the best conditions to work in, a good deal that will justify his services, while also getting results from him. Peace.

4. BrownJenkin says:

I don’t think it’s over and we’ won’tsee White playing with the Rockets soon. It’s just another step in the play. 4-5 days and we’ll see White blabbering against the rockets on twitter.

5. Kristoffer says:

If it doesent work out for this guy in houston hes done, no other teams are ever gonna sign this guy after all this drama.

6. wesley says:

how about this? if the guy cant stand flying, why dont they just get him on a plane, blindfold him and put a headset in his ears to listen to music, and close his plane window? that oughtta fix him…or traumatize him even more. maybe it’ll scare his anxiety disorder right out of him…or the rockets can get their act together and GET RID OF HIM SO HE CAN GET REAL HELP!

7. Chester says:

its called being professional and a grownup, something which he has alot to learn about and which is sadly lacking in many players in todays NBA

8. Flambert says:

He’s got some serious problems, but the NBA is above him to be honest. It is the entity that gives him his paycheck doing the thing he loves the most, playing basketball. I dont think the Rox would allow his health to be jeopardized for the obvious reason that they need healthy players in their rosters. It doesn’t make any sense. Obviously he got off the wrong foot with his employers due to his personal demons and decided to quit then and their. He suddenly gets freaked out when thinking about all the flying and pressure he has to face. I just see a quitter in this kid. I have GAD and shakes like a freakin vibrator when I ride planes. But I dont let it deter me from finding the things I want in life. Sorry Royce, but you set the wrong example for all of us suffering any kind of anxiety disorder. The real noble and inspirational thing to do is come open with your sickness, battle through it, and prove to the world that guys like us do not need pity nor prejudice. We are fine, we can cope and we can continue doing the things we love and be good at it. I hate you for the drama you put up. Dont ever use GAD as an excuse not to do the things you love..

9. me says:

happy 4 this kid, Haters will be haters and what he did was commendable, maybe he could have changed the way he did it but still yet, it was commendable.

• nate says:

Its good to stand up for yourself and people w probelms like you, but he didnt do it in the right way if you ask me. Especially w all of his rediculouse TWITTER posts. He should have shut the tweet up a long time ago…

10. Bigleyx says:

Something just came to me that trade: Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb for James Harden. I think OKC denied Royce White and stick with Lamb instead.

11. Dex says:

This is one of the reasons every other team backed off. Now it’s like he blames his team for his special problems when he should just deal with it and stop trying to write new rules.

12. Dino says:

Well let’S hope that this drama is finally coming to an end. Let’s not forget that their are so many young man fighting for a spot on a NBA team and no one has been asking a single question how they feel about anything. So this distuirbs me with White who is not even able to come to the home games? Wants to play straigtht away 20min or more? What is that? I just hope he can finally find a doc that will help me!

13. I hope it works out for him. After all he came that far to earn his draft, might as well go the rest of the way. I empathize w/ anyone w/ these types of issues but it’s time to antyup & kick in, especially w/ the opportunity to play in the nba-NUFF SAID!

14. Finally!!!! says:

I REALLY hope this works out for Houston and Royce White. After watching his interviews I was beginning to doubt he would play in the NBA.

He was one of the few players I was looking forward to watching play. ( PJ3, Jeremy Lamb, Royce White, Waiters)

To me, they were the Wild Cards of the draft.

15. Iv3rson says:

kick him out, he’s not worth the trouble, all he does is whinge. Leave the nba, get some help and come back when you’re ready to play and fly.

16. shawn micheals says:

rockets and dallas are both in texus but best team in texus is santonio spurs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Beads says:

medication makes you sluggish, you cant give 100% which is needed in NBA

18. Unkle Daddy says:

I must admit that I do not follow college basketball, but I have heard White was a very good college player, and I had hoped he would be able to help the Rockets in capacity this season, because I’ve always had a soft spot for this franchise. I understand that he has anxiety problems, to what degree I don’t know, but they make medication for every anxiety issue out there does no one realize this in this organization. Get him on some, and get this guy on the court. I have anxiety too, and I don’t feel bad for him anymore, it’s time to be a man and fix this problem and stop talking about it. I say D-league till after the all star break, then get this guy coming off the Rockets bench. If he can’t hack it by the end of the season, waive him.

19. mark says:

I’m sure the battles aren’t over. But if the NBA did things differently, all this drama could be avoided. The basketball season is long enough to avoid airline travel (82 games in 167 days). The All star game makes it impossible to not have any back-to-backs. However, if back-to-backs only occurred in home games or travel to teams in the same city (Clippers, Lakers of Nets, Knicks) then bus travel could be possible. During the Lock-out season of last year there were more injuries,because of the wearisome schedule. Maybe there would be considerably less if back-to-backs were to a minimum and no 4 games in 5 days occurred. Then the Spurs wouldn’t have to rest their players so much (and get fined for doing so) and White could have a great career (win-win).

• PhillyPhanatic says:

Yeah lets change the whole league schedule because the Rockets drafted a coocoo. How could you defend this guy, do you work for a living? Could you imagine getting hired and telling your employer what your schedule and travel arrangememts would be and if they didnt like it then soo be it. In the real world Royce would of been fired full stop end story. The NBA is his employer and he signed a contract and took their money but didnt show up for work. What do you call that?

• sef says:

White hasn’t been paid a dollar since the league started this season, man. He has been suspended, that means not beeing allowed to play NBA games nor getting paid. It is permitted to practice, but White battled because he is not treated well, so if not showing to practice it’s a start to a fight, so be it. That’s the cause to his suspension, he didn’t show at practices so he was suspended without pay (obviously if you are not paid you don’t play even if you want to play for free).

• nate says:

I agree with you. Skip below doesnt know what he is talking about. I hate people who pretend they know anything… HE WAS GETTING PAID MORON! Royce White got paid. If not why would they go throught the trouble to suspend him? What is a suspension? Thats when he stopped getting paid. But he was getting paid until they suspended him for breach on contract. Now all of the sudden when he stops getting paid and the suspension kicks in they come to an agreemend. He can stick his so called mental illness up his straight jacket. He did show up to training camp in TEXAS! I have no synpathy for this whining kid who wants his way. Play ball or shut up and retire… If he really wanted to play he would have been in trainig camp and also accepted role in D League the first time. But he was mad cause he wanted his own doctor. Yeah let me hire my buddy as my doc and basically let him know where I am comfortable traveling so he recommends my own suggestions to the rockets. They arent stupid…

• Average Joe says:

@ sef Dude he wasn’t “not paid” because his suspension started only recently when he didn’t show up for practice. He took payment for work he never put in and that would definitely not sit well with any employer. Apparently, the Rockets got fed up with this guy who thinks he can push his employers around, citing his mental condition. I agree with PhillyPhanatic here. In the real world, this guy wouldn’t last a minute.

• Ben says:

It’s very hard to know what is truly going on here, because neither side are talking about it. But I don’t think the parties have been apart on travel arrangements. That was something Houston understood and agreed to long ago. It’s something else, I think.