Melo’s Status In Doubt For TNT Showdown

HANG TIME NEW JERSEY – Wouldn’t you know it, one week after PopGate, the Miami Heat are hosting another TNT game, and the opponent might be without two of its stars.

We know that Amar’e Stoudemire is out at least until later this month, but now Carmelo Anthony may also miss Thursday’s matchup (8 p.m. ET) between the Knicks and Heat after lacerating the middle finger on his left hand in Wednesday’s win over the Bobcats.

Viv Bernstein of The New York Times has the story from Charlotte

Anthony, who scored a team-high 23 points (3 in the second half), cut the middle finger on his left hand when he dived onto the Knicks’ bench to chase a loose ball after a Smith block with 2 minutes 10 seconds left.

Anthony needed five stitches to close a deep gash. Coach Mike Woodson said he believed Anthony would play Thursday, but Anthony hedged.

“I want to play against Miami,” Anthony said. “But at the end of the day I’ve got to do what’s right for my finger with the deep cut that it is. So we’ll see. Talk to the doc tomorrow, see how it feels.

“I think it’s just a matter of being able to feel the basketball, control the basketball, being able to catch.”

But Anthony, tongue in cheek, made clear he would be in the arena Thursday night.

“I’m not going on Southwest,” he joked, a reference to San Antonio Coach Gregg Popovich, whose team was fined $250,000 by the N.B.A. after he sent four star players home during a road trip instead of playing them against the Heat. “I’m going to Miami.”

Thursday’s game is for first place in the Eastern Conference, which the Knicks now hold at 13-4. Anthony is an MVP candidate and obviously a huge part of the Knicks’ No. 2 ranked offense. They’ve scored 115.4 points per 100 possessions with Melo on the floor and just 97.7 with him on the bench.

The Knicks would love to win Thursday’s game and really prove that they have what it takes to beat the Heat. But if their start can’t handle the ball, they may have to wait for another day.

1. JJ says:

Even if he plays I don’t think they will get this one! I bet for the heat. I hope he plays cause then when the Knicks lose no excuse for Carmelo is not in it. But then if Carmelo in it, it’s because Carmelo injury. I guess it’s the same then.

2. Darin says:

I have no issue with players not playing because they’re hurt. I have big issues with players making several millions dollars a year complaining about 4 games in 6 nights, long road trips, blah,blah…If it’s that taxing, go play ball in the European leagues where they play about twice a week.

3. knicksfan says:

hopefully dictator stern doesn’t fine the knicks for this if he can’t play. We don’t want to anger him and feel the wrath of his almighty power like popp had to

4. Sebastian says:

When will we know if Melo is ready to play

5. Gameon says:

Get well soon Melo!

6. 16going417 says:

FINE on, er I mean PLAY on………..

7. newyorksteelo says:

This is Melo’s time to shine. Come out and defeat the Heat despite the injury. Put up 25+ points. It will be like Jordan’s flue game lol, or Kobe playing with a broken finger. MVP dedication. Come on Melo, You can do it. Go Knicks!

8. Game Time says:

He’s stating and injury so there won’t be a fine. Not that I agreed with the San Antonio one, but we can see the difference here.

9. KobeWhiner says:

yeah play on! then if the injury gets worse youll be sideline for a few weeks lol instead sitting out a couple of games

10. Erik says:

We ALL know melo is going to play tonight… But the real question is… IS Melo Going to blame his finger when the HEAT leave the knicks in the dust???

11. Bruno says:

Fine coming in 3, 2, 1…

12. 3pak says:

melo please bro u need to play, just take it to the hole strong snad stay away from threes, and i know you can use that left hand to do so bro

13. JA says:

This is perfect. And we should all be ok with it.
    Now lets see what Mr Improv, arbitrary, TNT always goes first STERN does. He should be called out on this one but I Hope he just lets it go.

14. nba guy says:

better be careful…
    commisioner d**khead might fine the knicks for him not playing through the pain.
    smdh

15. newyorksteelo says:

Nooooooooooooo. Come on Carmelo. Let’s take out the Heat for the second time this season. We need you.