Paul Eyes 1 In October, 82 After That

A lot of teams, including the Los Angeles Clippers, are glad that the 2012-13 NBA season is going to start on time. The Clippers have to feel they’re getting a bonus, though, because Chris Paul sounds ready to start on time too.

The All-Star point guard is coming off August surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right thumb and said at a GQ promotional event Monday that his rehab has him on schedule for October basketball. Arash Markazi of ESPNLosAngeles.com wrote:

[Paul] went through basketball drills without a protective brace around his right thumb for the first time Monday, and said he anticipates playing in at least one preseason game and being ready for the Clippers’ season opener Oct. 30 versus the Memphis Grizzlies.

“Today was the first day they actually allowed me to shoot layups so today was the best day ever,” Paul told ESPNLosAngeles.com. “I hope I get a preseason game in before the season. I probably have to start off the season wearing a brace but I get to wear the brace less and less. I wear it when I go to sleep but I’m on track. I go to rehab every single morning at 6:30 a.m.”

After the Clippers guard injured the thumb during Team USA’s training camp in Las Vegas, Paul and teammates thought he might miss the London Olympics. When he learned that surgery was the next step, he opted to tape up the thumb and play for the 2012 gold medal.

“The scariest part was when I injured it in Vegas. During the 30-minute ride to the hospital, me and some of the Team USA staff were acting like we were riding to a funeral,” Paul said.

Now he’s reborn with a freshly stocked Clippers team – Grant Hill, Lamar Odom, Jamal Crawford, Matt Barnes and Ronny Turiaf are among the new faces – and eager to fight for hoops control of L.A. Last season, the Clippers (40-26) finished just one game behind the Lakers (41-25), lost Chauncey Billups to an Achilles injury and, remember, didn’t have Paul until the trade with New Orleans finally cleared league hurdles on Dec. 14. The season began 11 days later. He averaged 19.8 points, 9. 1 assists and 2.5 steals in 60 appearances.

“It’s no secret; everybody in my family knows I wanted to go to the Clippers,” Paul said. “I may be different in a way but I’ve always jumped at the opportunity to do something that’s never been done, and here with the Clippers with Blake [Griffin] and DJ [DeAndre Jordan] and adding these pieces and stuff like that, I’m excited about the opportunities there.”

More than that, Paul will be around and available to chase them.

1. ko0kie says:

I like the clippers team and I cannot believe they are not included in the championship talks..

sure they got swept by the spurs last year.. but blake and cp3 were clearly not 100%, additionally they missed mr. big shot.. they were great with billups in the lineup..

and now they got even better, beefing up that bench with odom, hill, crawford, barnes and turiaf… way better bench than last year.. more scoring and more important, better defense! ;)

2. Big Perm says:

Chris Paul said himself he wanted to come to the Clippers to win a championship because ” WINING A RING WITH THE CLIPPERS WOULD BE LEGENDARY” The Clippers are STACKED. As long as every ONE is HEALTHY! The development of Blake’s all around game and DeAndre Jordan are the keys. DeAndre needs to develop now in his 5th year!!

3. Stu Brew says:

I’ve lost all respect for CP3 selling himself out to the Clippers, he’s never going to win a championship teaming up with a one-trick pony like Griffin. Also Grant Hill should’ve went to the Lakers with Steve Nash. Lamar Odom should go back to the Lakers or the Heat.

4. Henrik Jensen says:

how awesome it would be: Lakers and Clips not going to Conference Finals, instead we will have Either; Nuggets, Spurs, Mavs, Grizzlies or Thunder…

Just because “your teams” have improved, doesn’t mean they will be champions, there are so many great teams over there…

5. Henrik Jensen says:

come on, Hornets paired him up with: Okafor, Ariza and David West, thats not bad you know??

6. Willy says:

They must have some loose change to buy a few more needed pieces?

7. No says:

If CP3 wants a ring…..he will join the HEATLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AWEsome lineup
    PG:CP3
    SG:DWADE
    SF:King LBJ
    PF:Kevin Love(Wants a ring too, traded for jo anthony/UD/upcoming Norris Cole/future picks)
    C:Chris Bosh

SIXTHMAN: James Harden(Thunder need to get rid of him before he wants money, he will be traded for MChalmers)
    DEEP bench: RAy allen, BAttier, MR.CLUTCH MIkeMiller

8. Cardoso says:

how awesome it would be “a batlle of LA” in the conference finals

9. W/E says:

if billups is in good shape and stays injured free the clippers have potential even for the championship

10. CP3toStayinLA says:

The Clippers is a new organization now. All that is left is to get a new logo and new court design. Looking forward to watching Lob City in action starting Oct, 30th.

11. amitpal says:

See why couldn’t the hornets surround tin with pieces like that. Slippers stacked up there bench cheap. Why weren’t the hornets able to do that.