Celts’ Christmas A Hit In July

ORLANDO — All that was missing was the tinsel.

Dionte Christmas turned it into his own personal holiday in July on the final day of the Air Tran Orlando Pro Summer League when he piled up 21 points, five rebounds and four assists as the Celtics whipped the Magic.

It’s been a solid week all around for Christmas as he’s hardly backed off on a single possession at either end of the floor. At one point in the first half on Friday, he reeled off 12 consecutive points for Boston, including a falling-down 3-pointer on which he was fouled for a 4-point play.

“I thought it was a pretty good week, first of all as a team,” Christmas said. “Individually hopefully I opened up a couple of eyes. I’ve been getting great feedback. The (coaches) have said I’ve been doing great out there, and I just wanted to come out and be consistent, keep playing D, and I did it.

“If you can’t do nothing else, you have to have energy, man, especially playing in the NBA Summer League, there’s nothing greater. You have to have energy, man. That right there is what gets me going … You’re playing the sport that you love. I’ve had energy ever since I’ve played basketball. That’s nothing new to me.”

Christmas was a high-energy, all-around player in college at Temple, but has spent the past three seasons playing overseas in Israel, Greece and Turkey, working on his offense and trying to improve enough to come back and get a shot at the NBA. He was in the Sixers’ camp in 2009.

“I went overseas and developed a lot,” he said. “There’s a lot of scorers in the NBA, and to get on a team, they don’t need a guy like me to come in and score 20 a game. Boston has KG, Rondo, Jason Terry, Paul Pierce, all of these guys who are great scorers. They just need a guy to come in and fill the void. They need an extra guard who can rebound. So I just try to do the little things.

“Making the NBA is every kid’s dream. That’s been my dream forever. I’ve been in great countries  Greece, Turkey, Israel. But there’s nothing like the NBA, and I’m not going to stop until I get there.”

It would seem that a Christmas wish for an invitation to the Celtics’ training will come true.

1. No Brainer sign Christmas to a multi-year contract–do the same with Sullinger– they are Rondo s in the making
    I m sure other teams are eyeing them

2. dman says:

Chirstmas has to come out strong in Vegas league & finish strong noway he dont make some NBA roster…

3. dman says:

Christmas is a great kid out of philly plays alot like another guy from phillly a guy by the name of aaron mckie went to temple university also…Christmas is alot better ballhandler than mckie & alot better shooter…the kid Christmas averaged at least 19ppg 3 straight yrs at college i think he is a great pick up for a team trying go young & he desevere a shoot to show if he is nba ready…I no 15 shooting guards in the NBA that this kid can score better than…

4. celts fan says:

I am so excited cant wait till next season. when A. bradley comes back we are gonna have a chance to contend.

5. Bret says:

That’s the beauty of the summer league, even if you’re not a fit for the team you play for, you get seen by people from teams all over the league. If you show up, put for a strong effort, and just play your game, someone is going to take notice. That’s what happened with Alonzo Gee in Cleveland and even Jeremy Lin, I saw them both play well in the summer league two years ago and based on their performance, they eventually earned their shot and now their both on NBA rosters. I actually remember Gee getting an invite to the Timberwolves training camp before that, must’ve been the fall of 2009. Based on our roster at the time and his attributes, I thought he was someone they should’ve definitely considering keeping on, but they didn’t. And then I saw him go off in summer league in 2010 and I knew that we’d missed out (what else is new?lol) and he ended up being a solid player last year in Cleveland. And well, we all know what happened with Lin, just needed to get a shot in the right system and he made the most of it. I love the SUMMER LEAGUE!!!!

6. Connor says:

He’s looked very good in the Summer League so far. Maybe he can be the Celtics fifth guard. That means he has to beat out second round draft choice Kris Joseph who has also looked good in the Summer League. The Celtics are set in guards with Rajon Rondo, Jason Terry, Avery Bradley and E’twan Moore who has also looked great in the Summer league.

7. Me says:

Plus LBJ and dewayne are not always consistent, even Rondo isn’t….

• David says:

The key word is NOT ALWAYS, no one is always consistent.

• Ben says:

I hope you realise the word consistent means always. If someone isn’t always consistent, they are not consistent. Although I can’t wait for someone to drop ‘he is sometimes consistent’ into a commentary this year :)

8. Me says:

Sounds too desperate to me, YOU SHOULD NEVER be desperate!But, I do agree, they should sign him on, along with Sean williams and actually PLAYE EM. ‘Twaun should get mins as well.

• David says:

There is no beauty in vanity when it pertains to NBA basketball, what separates those who possess talent and skills are those who have the overwhelming desire to win and to suceed.