Russell Westbrook … Fashion Icon?

OKLAHOMA CITY – The only thing about Thunder point guard Russell Westbrook that stirs more debate than his game is his, uh … rather interesting wardrobe.

You’ve seen his colorful collection at the microphone in postgame news conferences, so you know the man has a keen eye for unique fashion. And like any form of self-expression, what looks strange to some looks like genius to others.

The clothes, the glasses without lenses … it’s the one thing the Thunder’s young stars definitely have in common with their Heat counterparts.

So with a day between Games 1 and 2 of The Finals, you had to know the subject might come up in an interview setting.

When asked where he buys his clothes, Westbrook decided to play along.

“I buy them a lot of different places,” he said. “I can’t really tell you, but I buy them a lot of different places.”

Every player to hit the podium after Game 1 wore the designer spectacles, a trend whose origins remain a bit murky.

“I’ve been wearing glasses since I’ve been in the league,” Westbrook said. “I think everybody else just started wearing them now.”

He stopped short, however, of claiming to start the madness. (Sally Jessy Raphael appreciates Westbrook refraining from taking credit.)

“Hey, I ain’t saying nothing,” he said as the room continued to fill with laughter, “but I’m just saying.”

Heat star LeBron James knows that Westbrook didn’t start the glasses trend, but he’s not sure who did.

“I don’t know who started it, honestly” he said. “I think now I’ve been wearing mine for about two years now. But I don’t know who started it. None of us started it. It could have started back in the ’70s or ’80s. I’m serious, fashion comes and goes.”

1. isitatheme says:

Its almost like a scripted theme. To add some color and style to the game. I don’t get the hype around it. We watch the sport for its skill and yet here we are talking about the ‘fashion’ and ‘style statements’.

2. piranah says:

NBA is made for TV (market), Heat will have to win the series..It’s business..OKC inspite of more skilfull and fast pace team cannot support the market where heat has an edge

3. Celtics Fan Forever says:

no he’s not. i’m happy to see the thunder leading the series and hope they win the whole thing (a sweep of the heat would be really cool). durant is probably the next mvp for the regular season but westbrook’s fashion sense leaves something to be desired. however, he’s young and enjoying the $$ he earns, so why not? but don’t encourage him.

4. Bad Luck Bryan says:

Fashion Icon my ***! this guy will never appear in GQ like Dwade has. His ego is as big as his cheek bone. LOL

5. AwwPlease says:

I respect Westbrook for dressing the way he wants without caring about what others think. I love it!

6. VGlenn says:

Russell Westbrook look like FROG!!!!lol

7. Coach Dee says:

Don’t you have anything to say by how and LBJ only scored 7 points including missed FT and FGs?

This is NBA Finals 2012 and you’re writing about eye wear?

8. Imad akel says:

it is symbolize for miami going fishing

9. W/E says:

OMG westbrook should fined for his outrageous shirts….

10. Sea Pea says:

I came of age in the 90’s so I totally don’t get the style. We tried our hardest not to look like nerds or feminine males. Now it’s trendy to look like both. I just don’t get it.

• NYer says:

The NBA where DWEEB happens !!!
      I come from the same era as you, baggy jeans and a hoody.

• Jones17 says:

Yeh that’s what i was thinking when all 4 players wore them. True international superstars don’t set fashions, they set them. Just look at David Beckham!

11. Agudo says:

Kanye started that style, plain and simple and to even insinuate that he (Westbrook) started anything, proves that he’s an even bigger tool than everyone else knew he would be!!! And will someone please give the man some blistex, chapstick something… his lips a whiter than Kevin Love’s head if he shaved his hair off.

12. doe columbus says:

I love Russ because he is becoming a great superstar I always knew he would be!!! Not because of fashion!!