Knicks Call On Douglas For Game 5

MIAMI – Once again, the Knicks’ season is on the line. And once again, they’ve got a change in their rotation.

In the wake of Baron Davis‘ injury, the Knicks need help in the backcourt. And in Wednesday’s Game 5 (7 p.m. ET, TNT), it will be Toney Douglas‘ turn to step up.

Douglas has yet to play in the first round series against the Miami Heat and hasn’t been a part of the Knicks’ regular rotation since late January. He shot just 32 percent from the field and 23 percent from 3-point range this season.

But he did give the Knicks one strong game in Orlando after Mike Woodson took over as coach, putting up 15 points, five rebounds and six assists in a 96-80 victory on April 5.

On Monday, Woodson said that we’d only see Douglas if the Heat used Norris Cole off the bench. But by shootaround on Wednesday, Woodson had changed his thinking.

“He will be the first one off the bench, in terms of relieving [Mike] Bibby,” Woodson said, adding that Douglas’ job is “just to run our team and do what he does best. He’s capable of making shots. And defensively, we’ve got to stay solid out front.”

Though Douglas will be out there backing up Bibby, Tyson Chandler doesn’t want Douglas acting like a point guard.

“He has to look for his shot,” Chandler said. “If Toney’s out there and he’s trying to get everybody else involved, he’s not the same Toney Douglas.

“He’s a combo-guard, but he’s more of a scorer. If he can get out tonight and give us some big scoring, it will ultimately help the team.”

So basically, Chandler wants Toney Douglas to do what Toney Douglas do.

1. ITS OVER says:

ITS OVER, THE KNICKS ARE GUNNA GET WASTED

2. alex says:

Defense is the key to victory,. they did it last time so its not possible to do it again….

3. Who? really? Douglas? man its not going to matter, there going to lose tonight.

4. RaymondG says:

On another note. Im happy for Douglas. I like to see the underDog win! I was upset that he was benched, just like i was upset when Marbury was benched by Cant-Stand-toni. I hope he goes out and proves that he is better than Lin and Bibby and lead them into to second series!

5. RaymondG says:

Never mind Douglas! I want to know how Woodson gets such a clean shave on his head and face! My face looks like his does right now AFTER i shave with an $100 clipper! I need his secret! I was starting to think that his hair just grew like that around his mouth because of how clean it was! Tell me!

6. imad ikal says:

knicks in 7
    history in making! this will look so bad on LBJ

7. karoLT says:

Douglas is going to suprise alotta peeps tonite… just have a feeling he’s gonna have a big game plus its his contract year so look out for him Basketball freaks (just like i am)… Have a niceday everyone :)

8. Thonas From Missouri says:

I may the last holdout thinking that there is going to be a 7th game. I see the Knicks winning the fifth and sixth game.
    I still don’t believe that the Heat is that strong. After you look past James and Wade there is not much there. Even if I am wrong, the Heat will not win the championship. They are not constituted to beat the better tems in a seven game series.
    In the end we will see tonight what transpires.

9. AntFarm says:

Game 1: Heat won by 33
    Game 2: Heat won by 10
    Game 3: Heat won by 17
    Game 4: Heat lose by 2…and now they’re talking about a Game 7!? ..AND with a depleted roster on top of that?
    …I’m just saying.

10. HRODRIGUEZ says:

EXACTLY LEBRON WILL NEVER B JORDAN! AND MELO NEEDS HELP JUST LIKE LEBRON NEEDS WADE AND BOSCH!!!! SO HOPEFULLY WITH TYSON AND TONEY, AMARIE WE SHOULD WIN!!!!!!

11. HRODRIGUEZ says:

THE KNICKS CAN AND WILL WIN!!!

12. Demetrios says:

Douglas is a hard nosed Defender and likes to Hustle which is a good thing. If douglas can give the knicks 15-20 points while Mello and Amare stay hot on offense, perhaps we can see a game 7. The heat are the worst team in Nba in Defense and rebonds since they lack tall big strong guys and with wade struggling on offense as we seen in game 4 in NY, Lebron is just not the Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Kevin Durant type of player to take over the game to make 11 straight shots to win the game.

• dattebayo says:

“The Hear are the worst Team in Defense and Rebounds in the League.”

I don’t mean to be rude but are you kidding me? The Heat are 13th in Defensive Rebounds and 21th in Total Rebounds, thats not even close to being the worst in the league. And their overall Defense is astoundingly good and the best I have seen in the postseason in any series so far. Steve Novak is the Knicks best 3point shooter and he has only gotten 7 attempts from behind the arc in 5 games. Melo, who was the hottest player in April has become a volume shooter without efficieny going 37-93 (roughly 40%) from the field in the series. I know the Knicks are decimated with injuries but they had a good record in April ending the Regular Season and the Heat are just taking away everything the Knicks had going in April with their stellar defense.

So please watch some games and stop writing BS in here that just isn’t true.

And please, please, pretty please tell me in which game Kobe has ever shot 11 straight field goals without a miss to win the game. I know you can’t because he has never done that, I doubt Durant has done that so far either and I do not have a record collection of MJ with me so I will even doubt that…

• fuego says:

whATTT???? DID U JUST SAY THE HEAT ARE THE WORST IN DEFENSE LOL DAMN UR A HOMER

13. newyorksteelo says:

Douglas is more than capable to step up when needed. It’s going to get interesting tonight, and possibly very physical. Looking forward to a Knicks win.

14. BFoulds says:

Good to see Douglas going back in to the rotation, but it won’t matter much