Can Chandler Impact Game 2?

MIAMI – Tyson Chandler isn’t feeling 100 percent, but he does feel better than he did on Saturday, when he managed to play just 21 ineffective minutes in Game 1 of the first round series between the Knicks and Heat.

“I feel better,” Chandler said before the Knicks’ shootaround Monday morning. “I don’t feel 100 percent, but I feel better.”

The Knicks will take what they can get after getting manhandled on both ends of the floor in Game 1. Chandler is arguably their most important player, the anchor of their top-five defense. And if he’s more of a presence on that end, they have a puncher’s chance in Game 2 (7 p.m. ET, TNT).

“I’m going to give it everything I got,” Chandler said. “I’m going to leave it all on the floor. Hopefully, I’ll have more energy to get my team going.”

Baron Davis, who is suffering from back pain and stiffness, said he’s “not close” to 100 percent. But he’s hopeful that he can play more than the 17 minutes he logged on Saturday. He kept the Knicks in the game early with 10 first-quarter points.

“We’ll see what happens,” Davis said. “I’ll play as hard as I possibly can, just try and stay loose on the sidelines, and just be ready when called upon. I don’t know what my minutes will look like. Hopefully, I can get us off to a good start and really have no setbacks during the game.”

The Knicks will start Landry Fields at the two in place of Iman Shumpert. Fields’ offensive confidence has been an issue, but he is a strong defender who will make Dwyane Wade work.

Most important for the Knicks, however, is Chandler’s strength and energy. He was a huge factor in the Mavs’ win over the Heat in last year’s Finals, and the Heat are prepared for him to make an impact tonight.

“He’ll be a bigger factor tonight,” Erik Spoelstra said. “He only played 21 minutes and he’s a big key to what they do.”

And LeBron James made it clear that the Heat won’t relax with the Knicks banged up.

“We understand that guys are going to come in and fill voids,” he said. “We’re not a team to relax. We’re never in a relaxed mode.”

1. jan_279 says:

I’m seeing a sweep! =)

2. frank says:

btw
    if newyork get really hot
    JR & novak hit their threes Anthony plays his best
    chandler defend as the beast he is
    and The baron rcan play 10/15 good minutes
    than maybe NY has the chance to win 1 abd lose 4-1

3. Michael says:

In order for the Miami to win the title, every member in the big 3 needs to step up… Wade needs to play wade, Bosh needs to have a solid game and Lebron needs to play like he did on Saturday. The real question is, who’s gonna guard Lebron if he plays like he did on Saturday? Or is Stoudemire going to guard Lebron and Melo go against Haslem?

4. frank says:

robbie go back to kindegarden

5. kILLarifIC says:

I THOUGHT THE REASON THE HEAT LOST LAST YEAR WAS BECASUE OF CHANDLER. IM GOING FOR THE HEAT ALL THE WAY BUT IM WORRIED ABOUT WHEN SOMEBODY THROWS A GOOD ZONE DEFENSE AT THEM

6. Robbie says:

Tyson Chandler was the main reason that Dallas won the title last year. He even had Dirk playing a little “D” This year Nowitski is spelled with no “D” his name is IRK

7. the knicks need to hit the threes ,smith, novak for them to have a chance,

8. joshua says:

It is now or never for the Heat… Its playoff time, time to play like there are 6 people on the floor… I will say the knicks may win 1 game but not in miami…

9. allaroundballer says:

Don’t think so, chandler may help NY defense. But the main problem is how they gonna run the ball and score. Miami forcing turnover and fast counter attack before Chandler even get back to the D

10. kobe says:

series is over in 4…maybe knicks win 1

11. VINCENT says:

heat need to stay focused. PROTECT HOME COURT. than try to pull a win somewhere at msg and finish it in MIAMI. this is lebrons year for a title. its perfect. all these haters can now say yeah he got a title but rose was hurt and it was a lockout season blah blah. lolzlers go MIAMI HEAT!

12. billcollector1999 says:

i hope so! i dont want to see mia get a 2 game lead this series hopefully gonna heat up