HANG TIME WEST – The Cavaliers, Kings and Warriors gained slight edges in lottery odds by winning tiebreakers through random drawings Friday against teams with identical records.
Seven ties in all were broken in New York as part of the process leading to the May 30 lottery and the June 28 draft:
- The Cavaliers (21-45) won a tiebreaker with the Hornets, giving Cleveland the third-most chances to win the lottery and New Orleans the fourth most.
- The Kings (22-44) won a tiebreaker with the Nets, giving Sacramento the fifth-most chances and New Jersey the sixth most. If the Nets don’t finish in the top three in the lottery, the selection goes to the Trail Blazers.
- The Warriors (23-43) won a tiebreaker with the Raptors, giving Golden State the seventh-most chances and Toronto the eighth most. If the Warriors don’t finish in the top seven in the lottery, the choice goes to the Jazz.
- The Knicks (36-30) won a tiebreaker with the Mavericks to pick 16th and the Mavericks won a tiebreaker with the Jazz to pick 17th, putting Utah at No. 18 in a pick that will be conveyed to the Timberwolves from a previous trade.
- The Clippers (40-26) won a tiebreaker with the Hawks for 22nd, a pick that will go to the Celtics.
- The Lakers won a tiebreaker with the Grizzlies for 24th, a pick that will go to the Cavaliers.
- The Bulls (50-16) won a tiebreaker with the Spurs for 29th. The San Antonio choice, at No. 30, goes to Golden State.