Karl’s Nuggets Good As Gold?

HOUSTON – After all the wins and losses, makes and misses, cheers and jeers, along comes a season like this one where the post-lockout schedule is cramming 66 games into just 124 days and it’s something unfamiliar … even to a lifer like George Karl.

Is it harder or just different?

“I think it’s both,” Karl said. “I think it’s different because there are actually so many teams that still have a chance. And none of the teams think it’s impossible. I mean, Utah could win five out of six. We can win four out of six. Then look at Dallas. I know we’re all hoping that we can make the playoffs. But everybody’s watching and it’s nerve-wracking, it’s stressful, it’s different and it’s hard. You can stay positive, but there are moments when you go to the negative side.”

Not now. Not when Karl has just seen his Nuggets play a splendidly clutch second half to complete a back-to-back, home-road sweep of the Rockets to solidify, at least for a night, their position in this hair-raising Western Conference playoff race. A week ago, the Nuggets were on the outside looking in, but now they’ve won four of their last five games and have climbed back safely up the ladder into sixth place.

Dallas, Houston, Phoenix and Utah are all in the race across the tightrope for the final three West playoff spots, but at the moment nobody is playing better than Denver.

“I don’t think we’re perfect, but I don’t see a lot of other teams being perfect either,” Karl said. “I watched San Antonio get beat on their home court by 25 by Los Angeles. I think it’s the nature of the season right now. It’s how much fatigue? How much rest? Who’s healthy? Who isn’t healthy? Who’s in a rhythm? Who’s in a flow? I think everybody’s trying to get to a higher level, a higher place.”

It’s been a trying season, one marked by injuries and periods of stunning defeat and disappointment. Yet with their surge it’s become the 20th consecutive NBA season that Karl’s team has finished with a record of .500 or better.

“It’s a blessing,” he said. “That’s a gift of fortunately having good players and good coaches and good people with some luck along the way. That’s so minimal right now. Every minute of every day is always looking at what-ifs, what-ifs? What do we gotta do? How many games do we have to win?

“Actually I think we have been inconsistent, but we’re moving in a good direction,” Karl said. “I think that’s all I can ask of a young team that’s been dealt some weird situations.”

Anybody want to bet against the Nuggets?

1. Fefe says:

Damn, many people here keep hating on others here. TRY TO STAY OBJECTIVE!!!!!!

- Denver can give headaches to many teams (but I hope they don’t play the Lakers who are their worst “enemies” because they often lose to them)

- To the one getting angry very quickly and criticizing: the East of nowadays is not the East of 3, 4 years ago. It’s tougher. You have Chicago, Boston, Miami, even Orlando who are always contenders (ok this season Orlando is a bit down, but Boston can always be a surprise). And you have teams like Atlanta too. But the Pacers, too me, are very very good this season. And yes, they often stomp on Western Conference’s teams (but of course stupid fans who never see games don’t take that into consideration). Indiana is very good, and this year if they were in the West, would have approximately the same W/L record than they have now.

Anyway back to the Nuggets, I hope the team will be fully recovered. Even if they will miss Rudy Fernandez (who is out for the season), getting back Galinari & Lawson, and fortunately Harrington healthy, they can be a threat. Don’t forget they are deep: JaVale McGee, Al Harrington, Andre Miller… on the bench..and they got the MANIMAL!

Damn, many people here keep hating on others here. TRY TO STAY OBJECTIVE!!!!!!

2. kaare says:

when the nuggets won on the road against the rockets the refs bailed them out. bad whistles might cost my rockets a playoff spot and that @!%& hurts. atrocious job by the refs in that game. so disappointing

3. EGS says:

I love the Nuggets and their TEAMWORK, from the staffs, the coaches to the players. Everyone is doing their part and cooperating to each one. That’s what I love about them. And I believe they can win anything with their team chemistry. :) Go Nuggets..!

4. Thunder/Bulls Finals 2012 says:

The Nuggets are a solid team, but they wouldn’t beat the Thunder, Lakers, Spurs, or even the Clippers or Grizzlies in a 7 game series. They’ll be a first round outer once again.

• phillip says:

Whilst being inconsistent for a bunch of reasons all season, Denver only have to be consistent in 4 outta 7 games come playoff time so beware wild west !

5. Wes says:

Kevin the Pacer fan, just an FYI, check the scores from 2-11, I think Denver thumped your overrated Paces on their court, would be nice to get to play all the weak teams in the East.

• first off i never said i was a pacer fan, what i said was denver is who they are an 8th seed team who is one loss from not being in the playoffs and if they did beat the pacers ok the pacers have also beat okc ,and the lakers , and proably every other team in the east they are 13 and 5 agianst the west so you is really overrated go eastern confrence

6. JuRk3 says:

This is one of the few teams I really enjoy watching. The Nuggets play as a team, and that’s what makes their games fun to watch. Every Nugget player has that feeling for sharing the ball, they have a huge heart and they never give up. Respect for the Nuggets and their coach Karl. After all those injuries and personal life health issues George Karl is still standing and giving it all for a win. Thumbs up!

7. ZED6661 says:

D town gonna roll on threw the playoffs baby! We only have trouble with OKC and LAL other than those two teams we are cool.

8. SUPERSONICS FAN says:

Ya I definately feel the Nuggets are under-seeded due to the injuries… So look for Denver to upset some clubs.. They are a great team and if healthy can win the championship… I love George Karl and he really deserves a title.

9. Daniel says:

nuggets plays as a TEAM… this team has depth, a bench with Miller, Brewer, Chandler, Harrington, McGee (or Koufos) could start for several teams in the league… ready for some 1st round upset in the playoffs.

10. denver is who there are a 8 seed or a team who might not make the playoffs, more like fools gold

• TWizz says:

They are 6th place. Haters gonna hate. Your an Pacers fan? A team in the East? Who think they are good? Hope not though. If so, must feel good to be in the Eastern conference. West s***’s on the East all day.

11. Steven says:

Early in the season when the Nugs were healthy they were second in the West. They are reaching that level again. Lawson and Afflalo have really been stepping up as well. With a healthy roster and those two locked in the Nugs can give just about anyone in the West headaches over a 7 game series. Plus, they have the Manimal! haha

12. Baller says:

I really liked Denver at the start of the season. They were deep, played a great fast offensive basketball style and had several good wins like the win at home against Miami. They were doing well and then somehow the injuries mounted up so that they were missing up to 4 starters for a stretch there. Now they only have some (minor) injuries and are building momentum. If they can stay healthy they will be a force to reckon with. I hope they have a great run in the playoffs, they are a joy to watch…

The Playoff Picture is still changing like crazy, 2 days ago we had a completely different 1st Round in the West. I hope Dallas and Denver will pull through, I’d love to see any of them upset the Lakers or OKC :D

13. Charles Murray says:

Hey, where are all the complaints about George Karl’s head! Maybe his head is just fine… don’t see any backseat drivers ready to deal with the youngest team in the league, do we.